Hi,

When starting the PATCH, I'm getting:

Runtime error 216 at

$01631078

$01631078

$00011748

$00018b18

Omnia i900 rom: i900dxid/qb07. Application ver 0.7

This patch is for Omnia II my friend!!! Look at the first post!

Guest NuShrike
Omnia i900 rom: i900dxid/qb07. Application ver 0.7
Responsibility is your own for reading the instructions. Edited by NuShrike

Guest Doombringer

I am very excited about this project. I know its just a proof of concept but I would like to read about it more. Like what is going wrong, what is making this work harder, kind of keeping a blog in here.

also I havent try it yet because I dont know is it dangerous for hardware. I cant flash my rom, but I can hard reset, so if I can roll back safely I would like to give it a shot.

Anyway thanks for this amazing experiment

Acer S200 (Snapdragon chipset).

When FPU Enabler isn't running:

Int: 777.1097 moves/25 usec

FPU: 19.726 MWIPS

When FPU Enabler is running:

Int: 780.0841 moves/25 usec

FPU: 54.551 MWIPS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ganhiru

These results were tested with SPB benchmark and Secany's i8000XXIJ6 Rom.

FPU Enabler off

CPU test: Whetstones MWIPS 4969 ms 10.1 Mop/sec

FPU Enabler Running

CPU test: Whetstones MWIPS 979 ms 51.1 Mop/sec

I'm interested in a Permanent Patcher, running as a service.

Guest beltway
<...>

I'm interested in a Permanent Patcher, running as a service.

Yes, and/or a patcher that runs without user interaction (i.e. at startup) and can still be terminated for better battery life (if that's a concern - don't know how this affects device power draw...). Of course, the current release(s) are more or less proof of concept code, so hopefully there will be refinements and further development.

As far as I can tell, FPUEnabler can't do harm to hardware or software. How much FPUEnabler makes a difference depends on what you use your device for. I've found 2 programs that are noticeably improved by FPU acceleration.

I posted a while back on the Acer M900/F900 forum at 4WinMobile about FPUEnabler v7.0 and Garmin XT. There's an obvious improvement for map redraws, such as when dragging/scrolling the map view around. FPUEnabler also boosts PocketRTA (a graphic audio spectrum analyzer) to a latency almost as immediate as the PC version, so there is almost no delay between hearing a sound and seeing it graphed on the display.

Thanks very much for developing FPUEnabler!

Guest TerenceSkill

Hey Guys,

First thank you for your great work, ive think toshi have to pay you for that, cause you do there work... :D

have tried this on my Toshiba TG01 (WM 6.5) and benched with GLBenchmark 1.1...

without FPU Enabler:

CPU Performance: Float :2008 CPU Performance: Integer :20533

with FPU Enabler:

CPU Performance: Float :2301 CPU Performance: Integer :20576

not much difference right now, but it seems to be the right way... Keep on Guys, thx a lot!

Sorry for bad english... greets from Berlin

TerenceSkill

Guest NuShrike
have tried this on my Toshiba TG01 (WM 6.5) and benched with GLBenchmark 1.1...

without FPU Enabler:

CPU Performance: Float :2008 CPU Performance: Integer :20533

with FPU Enabler:

CPU Performance: Float :2301 CPU Performance: Integer :20576

Something must not be setup properly on your side.

On the Acer M900 (M900V030)

CPU Performance: Float : 762 (without)

CPU Performance: Float : 1928 (with)

Of course GLBenchmark refuse to process any of these results -- they tend to only process the devices they like instead of all results.

Guest TerenceSkill

tried again with sk tools benchmark:

without Enabler:

integer 731.7012 Moves/25 usec

FloatingPoint: 19.582 MWIPS

with Enabler:

integer 731.4913 Moves/25 usec

Floating Point: 54.514

Its been much more differnt! Great... Thank you again!

Edited by TerenceSkill

For those that can cook ROMs easily (probably the Leo shortly) is thee any chance we could have a way of patching coredll.dll prior to building the ROM? It would save some of the hassle of having to run this every time we want, and would probably be simpler than your in-memory-patching...

Guest Chainfire

No, because during suspend/resume it has to be unpatched/repatched or there will be crashes, so it has to be done dynamically. However, there is work being done on an actual device driver to do everything, so just install once, never worry about it again. No ETA on that, though.

Guest vodanhdaisu

Sorry for my noob question. I'm a WinMo newbie, you know.

I've read your 1st post, but there are many technical terms that i can't understand. Can you kindly explain in simple words? What is FPU again? What do exactly FPU enhance or effect?

I saw some comparison of with/without FPU enabled, so amazing ! But i really don't know what do those number measure?

Thank in advance :D

Guest Chainfire

Well in noobterms it's hard to explain, but let me try:

FPU stands for Floating Point Unit. In modern computers these are built into the CPU ("processor") (they weren't some years ago) but in most mobile phones they are not. Until these new devices like the Omnia II/Pro, TG01 and Leo. Because they normally don't have one, WM does not have support for FPU, but this application enables use of FPU!

In general, calculations can be divided into two sections: (1) calculations one "whole" numbers, which always result in other "whole" numbers. So think 10 * 2 ; 5 + 1 ; 12 / 6 ; 11 - 9. (2) calculations on "non-whole" numbers, like 2.5 / 1.2, 11.6 + 12.4, etc. Some things are always "non-whole", like sine, cosine, tangent, square root, etc. These "non-whole" numbers we call "floating point".

The CPU is really good at calculating with "whole" numbers, but is completely terrible at calculating "non-whole" numbers. But here comes the FPU to the rescue! The FPU specializes in calculating with "non-whole", floating point, numbers, and is much faster than the CPU in doing that. So if you have an FPU on your device, actually using it will speed up an entire category of calculations.

Now, the reason you may not immediately see large effects, is because mobile software developers know "non-whole" number calculations are very slow. And thus, they avoid them like the plague, employing all kinds of math tricks to get the same results with "whole" number calculus. So the speed-difference of using this application on a mobile is less than if you for example took your desktop PC and ripped the FPU portion out of your processor (because desktop developers expect and FPU to be available and thus use "non-whole" number calculus everywhere).

I know it's still very techy and weird, but I hope it clears it up a bit.

Guest vodanhdaisu

Thank you Chainfire, i've already understood. But still a little bit confusing, according to you, enabling FPU enhances and speeds up performing in calculations, how about other aspects like video encoding, playback, browsing web, photos on the device? is it enhanced ?

Guest NuShrike
But still a little bit confusing, according to you, enabling FPU enhances and speeds up performing in calculations, how about other aspects like video encoding, playback, browsing web, photos on the device? is it enhanced ?
I've already explained this in post #10.

Guest Albertri
I've already explained this in post #10.

NUShrike will FPU enabler this would this help if we are using the TF3D 1.3 CFC? sorry to ask such noob question I am not a developer nor expert these things

Guest NuShrike
NUShrike will FPU enabler this would this help if we are using the TF3D 1.3 CFC? sorry to ask such noob question I am not a developer nor expert these things
The FPU enabler definitely helps the OpenGL ES graphics in TF3D because most of the driver code (GK and Samsung) uses float numbers instead of another number optimization shortcut.

Once I get there, the matrix math in GK's libgles_cm will be improved also which should help with more GL graphics speed.

Guest Albertri
The FPU enabler definitely helps the OpenGL ES graphics in TF3D because most of the driver code (GK and Samsung) uses float numbers instead of another number optimization shortcut.

Once I get there, the matrix math in GK's libgles_cm will be improved also which should help with more GL graphics speed.

Cool tks for the info when I install TF3D 1.3 I have not enable or run the FPU enabler program. must re install the TF3D 1.3 again with FPU enabler see if there's a noticeable difference.

Cheers

Guest Albertri

Oh an one last thing will you guys release a cab for FPU enabler? rightnow it's manual or you'll need to run it everytime. Or this is really just a proof of concept?

cheers

Guest Chainfire

Well, the thread title does say it's a proof of concept doesn't? :D

Rest assured we are still working on improving this. Have some patience. If you had any idea how complicated this hack is, you wouldn't be asking in the first place.

Guest Albertri
Well, the thread title does say it's a proof of concept doesn't? :D

Rest assured we are still working on improving this. Have some patience. If you had any idea how complicated this hack is, you wouldn't be asking in the first place.

cool tks we all know you guys are doing this FOC and we sure it's not easy. I've been following your threads closely and I know what you guys are doing is really huge thing to all O2 users like me :P we really appriciate it.