Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

Guest David Strange

Guest triste

Just wondering im from australia and i have a samsung omnia with the company 3 my software number is MBIC2 and im currently running windows mobile 6.1 build 20270 i have 2 years warranty on my phone and is interested in upgrading to windows mobile 6.5 do you think i should? If so how do you do it? please help

Edited by triste

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Well... you should ask for this on the Omnia part of MoDaCo... or read this entire topic as we discussed this :)

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest Neil5459

It worked fine for me :)

• Downloaded both parts of the installer
  • Used WinRAR to extract and amalgamate the 2 parts
  • Copied the files to a blank SD Card
  • Ran the installer
  • Device restarted twice then opened into the new Orange homescreen

wm65home.jpgmenu1.jpgmenu2.jpgwm65main.jpg

Guest Arag0n

This maybe the first step into allow custom roms for TG01, at least now we have a file that can update our mobile phone. This means that editing the container we can flash custom rooms finally!

Guest tycho43

When u say amalgamate the 2 rar files.....u mean select them both and extact into the same directory? lol or am i missing something blatantly obvious out?

thnx in advance

I know what i did wrong ....after the rar i copied it all over...inside the default win6.5 directory....dont forget to take it out...the exe should be on the root directory peeps :)

Edited by tycho43

Guest columbo

I can confirm that the one on the xda-developers forum worked for me. I downloaded both parts to a folder and used 7zip to extract the file (right click on the file, click '7zip', then 'Extract to /Toshiba 6.5/') and then copied the exe file and the prg folder to my SD card. It resets your phone, so you need to do a backup. I used SPB backup, which will let you use it 5 times for free if you don't already own it.

I am now very happy and hope that I won't have any more silly random reboots and SD card trouble. Even if these problem still exist, at least I no longer feel embarased to show my phone to an iPhone owner. The new 6.5 interface is so much nicer to look at and the home screen is very slick and straight forward. My only annoyance is that the File Explorer and Internet Explorer, though much imporved, are a bit clumsy and I have had a few Internet Explorer crashes when using flash, which didn't happen on 6.1. Opera 9.7 and Resco File Explorer are still recommended.

I bought Kinoma Play, which is worth every penny. SPB Mobile Shell is also great, but less necessary now WM has a decent interface anyway.

Guest Neil5459
When u say amalgamate the 2 rar files.....u mean select them both and extact into the same directory? lol or am i missing something blatantly obvious out?

thnx in advance

Sorry- should have said that WinRAR automatically amalgamates the contents and extracts both RAR files into a single folder. Not sure if all ZIP extractors work the same way.

David- yes you can select either the Orange, Toshiba or standard Microsoft front ends. The Orange one is not very noce, the Toshiba one is no different to before apart from losing the 'blinds' effect (but seems slower!) and I'm sure Mobile Shell will find its way onto mine soon!

Windows Marketplace and myPhone are both working, and the finger swiping in Messaging now works correctly as well- you can scroll within a message and between open messages.

The Toshiba specific settings have now changed a little, and the Power Save setting now has 2 user defined sets, though the 'Temporary' one has disappeared, so I don't know if User Defined 2 will still show the temporary situation.

thx guys for the help. it works now after putting the files in the root of sd.

I like the new orange ui. it's very neat. and the signal boost!!

thumbs up for me (for now anyway)

whoo, just set mine going. had to format my sdcard & put the files in the root folder of the memory card

update: looks like it worked - after running the .exe it rebooted to a black/white firmware screen, took about 5 mins or so to update then started to load wm, rebooted again loaded wm and prompted me to setup the phone

Edited by bingm

Guest Medved77

Got a few questions, hopefully someone who has already upgraded can help:

Would either Sprite backup or SPB backup restore all programs as they were before installing 6.5? I'm reluctant to upgrade to the orange rom as I could do without their branding. (my phone is from orange but not using their network). If all programs need to be reinstalled manually I'd rather wait for the Toshiba stock rom.

Also, don't suppose there's an update log anywhere which states bug fixes? (volume, rebooting, sd card formatting etc.) Is the orange rom purely the os update or has toshiba fixed some issues at the same time?

Guest hdbueller

A quick question....when I unrar the 2 parts, I get 2 files that have the same names (1 of each on part 1 and 1 of each on part 2) with winrar asking me if I want to replace the existing file with the new one. Do I need to click yes and let the 2 files overwrite the other 2 files? 1 is the TG01_SDDL and the other is the .menc file. Are these just duplicates? Also in the prg folder is 1 each of the tsw file.

Thanks

Guest Medved77

I only 'unrared' the first file and ended up with 1 tg01_sddl.exe (221KB), 1 EncFiltlog.menc (2KB), and a folder called 'prg' containing 1 TG01WP_5005.....tsw (259776 KB).

Did you unrar each seperately? Just right click on the part1.rar and select 'Extract Here' - Hope that helps.

Guest hdbueller

I just told it to overwrite the files, put the .exe and the prg file on my card, and ran the .exe file. It took about 3-4 minutes total to do the upgrade..... :D

xdalover..... I will after I play with it a bit.... :)

Edited by hdbueller

Guest The Real Mc Coy
Build 21856.5.0.65

So this is far to be the latest one (23xxx series)... Too bad...

Edited by The Real Mc Coy

Guest Arag0n

So this is far to be the latest one (23xxx series)... Too bad...

However, that may open the path to custom rooms. Now we have an auto installable that can update the rom of the mobile. That's the best thing about this update because looking at windows mobile 7 specifications look like we could be able to install it one day and we will be able without worry if Toshiba doesn't support officially the update.

So maybe it's not the best version of windows mobile 6.5, but I believe it will bring us more than we expect.

Guest SomeoneStoleMyYodafone

Wondering if anyone with an unlocked Orange UK TG01 managed to get the upgrade going? Have a friend who's getting an invalid filename error.

Guest kaverzide

Greetings, somebody has tried to install this ROM in a terminal different from orange? ( movistar, t mobile…). Thanks

Edited by kaverzide

Guest redeyes717
Greetings, somebody has tried to install this ROM in a terminal different from orange? ( movistar, t mobile…). Thanks

mine is unbranded (Italy) and no possibility to upgrade (too bad!) with the current file.