Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

Guest David Strange

Guest hdbueller
Wondering if anyone with an unlocked Orange UK TG01 managed to get the upgrade going? Have a friend who's getting an invalid filename error.

Mine is an unlocked Orange version and it upgraded just fine! It only took about 4 minutes to do.

Later........... :)

Guest SomeoneStoleMyYodafone
Mine is an unlocked Orange version and it upgraded just fine! It only took about 4 minutes to do.

Later........... :D

Ah, must be a problem with my friend's device or card then... Thanks! :)

Guest Neil5459
Ah, must be a problem with my friend's device or card then... Thanks! :)

I'd suggest using an empty card, and making sure the 2 files and subfolder are copied to the root of the card.

Guest Medved77

The toshiba mobile website has been updated to show the new TG01 Windows Phone. For current users press release simply states that the updated rom will be available from the toshiba mobile site.

Not there yet though :)

Guest Neil5459
Can anyone post a link where the update can be found?

It hasn't been released yet- official release from Orange possibly on 12th October.

There is a 'leaked' version on XDA developers which some of us have loaded, but it seems to only work on UK Orange devices. (see other posts)

It hasn't been released yet- official release from Orange possibly on 12th October.

There is a 'leaked' version on XDA developers which some of us have loaded, but it seems to only work on UK Orange devices. (see other posts)

I have an Omnia i900 with wm 6.5 cook ROM and I just wonder if when the time comes to upgrade to an official release I can do it from the cook ROM?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Guest Malt_Vinegar

Just upgraded my orange tg01 to 6.5 whilst at work today.

Much better! Interface is so much smoother, and easier to use. Think I might go without the stylus for a few days, and see how I get on :)

Well worth it :D The upgrade procedure is the easiest I have ever done too :P

Guest Shawn_China
Wondering if anyone with an unlocked Orange UK TG01 managed to get the upgrade going? Have a friend who's getting an invalid filename error.

For this filename error, you need to change your SD card name to "Storage card".

Guest SomeoneStoleMyYodafone

Thanks guys, it was the card after all... Swapped out the Kingmax with a Sandisk, and all is well now. :)

Makes me want to swap out my Omnia II for a TG01... :D

Guest ziko_tczew

ja sie z toba moge zamienic dam ci toshiba tg01 za omnia 2 :) mam nowke w o2 jeszcze nie rozpakowana hehe :( ale po tym co widze tu na forum to odechciewa mi sie jej ;)

Guest xdalover
ja sie z toba moge zamienic dam ci toshiba tg01 za omnia 2 :( mam nowke w o2 jeszcze nie rozpakowana hehe ;) ale po tym co widze tu na forum to odechciewa mi sie jej ;)

In English please....., my Pole is a little rusty.... :)

Guest pauldyson1uk

Had my TG01 for about 3 weeks now and Iam on my 4th one.

Lots of problems over heeating and rubbish batt , but all seems OK now.

I loaded 6.5 on mine 3rd one Thurdays and from the off had problems , it would not make calls and when it did connect it lasted about 1 min and the there was a loud buzzing that only went taking out the batt.

I rang Orange and they sent me out a new one ,whicch I put on 6.5 with the file d/l from the Toshiba website and upto now it works fine.

I must be the only one that likes the Orange home page and it feels faster and more stable to use.

Glad they have got the volume to be louder.

My only grip is the batt life is not on display all the time now,who needs the time on the home page twice.

I have a question ,have Orange dropped the TG01 ,I was offered another phone when I rang up ,but did not want another one and when I looked the TG01 was not on the Orange website has one of there offered phones.

Guest Neil5459

Why not just install DCIBattery

This puts a verythin bar at the top of the screen showing the battery state, and its visible in all programs. It also includes a memory meter at the bottom of the taskbar, but if you don't like that then just go into Windows/Startup and remove the Quertymemory.lnk file.

It'sa tiny system file and works fine under WM6.5. Needs a soft reset to turn on.

[Edit- yes, the TG01 is currently unavailable on the Orange site. I suspect they have pulled the WM6.1 model and are waiting for new WM6.5 stock]

Guest pauldyson1uk
Why not just install DCIBattery

This puts a verythin bar at the top of the screen showing the battery state, and its visible in all programs. It also includes a memory meter at the bottom of the taskbar, but if you don't like that then just go into Windows/Startup and remove the Quertymemory.lnk file.

It'sa tiny system file and works fine under WM6.5. Needs a soft reset to turn on.

[Edit- yes, the TG01 is currently unavailable on the Orange site. I suspect they have pulled the WM6.1 model and are waiting for new WM6.5 stock]

Cheers I will try that .

Guest leeston2379
My only grip is the batt life is not on display all the time now,who needs the time on the home page twice.

You could just used advanced config to change the taskbar clock to a battery, or just adjust the reg key.

Edited by leeston2379

Guest xdalover
You could just used advanced config to change the taskbar clock to a battery, or just adjust the reg key.

I on the contrary prefer the taskbar clock ( I don't like a big useless clock eating the available room on screen...) For battery status, I love the thin bar on top provided by SPB Pocket Plus ------------------

This one !

V

11823d1192107958-spb-mobile-shell-phone-suite-tilt-spbtoday005.jpg

Edited by xdalover

Well theres a whole loads of posts regarding 6.5, not sure which is best to post on. But after reading them all im still kinda not sure wether to go ahead and upgrade now or should i wait till some of these bugs are fixed. Im concerned because i feel fortunate that my phone runs fine on 6.1. Im reading system slow downs, crashes, runs slightly slower and less battery with 6.5. I run spb 3.5 already. And ive read that some peoples phone ran fine TILL they upgraded. But others who WERE having issues, prefer the upgrade. Now that youve had a chance to play around with 6.5 your opinions would be appreciated. Increased volume would be great?

Increased signal would be great?(although this isnt an issue for me, but never too much hsdpa hay!!!)

I mainly browse the net, watch movies, play on kinoma, bang out the odd email (have spb keyboard) The battery life i would suggest is as bad as i could comfortably handle? Any thoughts on my situation

many thanks

Guest leeston2379
I on the contrary prefer the taskbar clock ( I don't like a big useless clock eating the available room on screen...) For battery status, I love the thin bar on top provided by SPB Pocket Plus

I agree with you on spb pocket plus. Close button comes in handy to.

Guest leeston2379
Well theres a whole loads of posts regarding 6.5, not sure which is best to post on. But after reading them all im still kinda not sure wether to go ahead and upgrade now or should i wait till some of these bugs are fixed. Im concerned because i feel fortunate that my phone runs fine on 6.1. Im reading system slow downs, crashes, runs slightly slower and less battery with 6.5. I run spb 3.5 already. And ive read that some peoples phone ran fine TILL they upgraded. But others who WERE having issues, prefer the upgrade. Now that youve had a chance to play around with 6.5 your opinions would be appreciated. Increased volume would be great?

Increased signal would be great?(although this isnt an issue for me, but never too much hsdpa hay!!!)

I mainly browse the net, watch movies, play on kinoma, bang out the odd email (have spb keyboard) The battery life i would suggest is as bad as i could comfortably handle? Any thoughts on my situation

many thanks

I have had no problems at all using 6.5, non of the aformentioned bugs or crashs, though on 6.1 i had no problems either other than one SD corruption. I personally prefer 6.5 but thats just me. If i were you i'd go for it, but then i'm not you and TG01s seem to be inconsistant as to which bugs people experience. So basically i'm no help at all :)

Guest xdalover
I have had no problems at all using 6.5, non of the aformentioned bugs or crashs, though on 6.1 i had no problems either other than one SD corruption. I personally prefer 6.5 but thats just me. If i were you i'd go for it, but then i'm not you and TG01s seem to be inconsistant as to which bugs people experience. So basically i'm no help at all :)

It would be great having the WM 6.1 revision available to come back if WM 6.5 is not as good as expected but..... it's just a dream! Never mind, imagine that you are buying the TG01 today, I wonder if in your countries this device is already delivered with WM6.5 inside (I suppose yes)

B.R.

Leeston,

That is actually a great help because unless i missed something, i believe im right in saying yours are the first comments ive seen, that suggests no issues before the upgrade, or after!!