Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

Guest David Strange

Guest Neil5459

I can also confirm that apart from the SD card corruption, I had few of the reported problems on WM6.1.

However, WM6.5 is faster, loads quicker after a soft reset, has better 'finger friendly' scrollbars and has not, as yet, suffered any problems with the SD card.

If you are going to upgrade, I'd suggest:

1) Make sure you have a blank microSD card

2) Put it into a card reader in the PC to copy the files across (ActiveSync transfer is still less reliable than it ought to be!)

3) Once the upgrade is complete and you've gone through the screen align process, do another hard reset. I know it's time consuming, and you have to wait for the customisations to complete before resetting, but the hard reset after the ROM flash can get rid of any superfluous stuff used by the flashing process.

Downsides are the loss of the old Start Menu, but there are ways to minimise the impact of that, and the smaller available storage memory due to WM6.5 being quite a bit bigger than WM6.1. Once the superfluous stuff has been deleted (games, pictures, Getting Started video etc) I have 216MB free storage.

I don't use any of the 'front end' programs from Tosh, Orange or Titanium, preferring my plain home screen and I have 83MB free program memory after a soft reset.

Guest leeston2379
However, WM6.5 is faster, loads quicker after a soft reset, has better 'finger friendly' scrollbars and has not, as yet, suffered any problems with the SD card.

Downsides are the loss of the old Start Menu, but there are ways to minimise the impact of that, and the smaller available storage memory due to WM6.5 being quite a bit bigger than WM6.1. Once the superfluous stuff has been deleted (games, pictures, Getting Started video etc) I have 216MB free storage.

I don't use any of the 'front end' programs from Tosh, Orange or Titanium, preferring my plain home screen and I have 83MB free program memory after a soft reset.

Got to agree with all these points. I just started a new thread on customizing the start menu its HERE.

Edited by leeston2379

Guest leeston2379
Leeston,

That is actually a great help because unless i missed something, i believe im right in saying yours are the first comments ive seen, that suggests no issues before the upgrade, or after!!

Not sure if i got a good one or if its me, however i do RTFM and always soft reset after an install of any kind.

Guest David Strange

I did upgrade to WM6.5 in the end. I am pleased with the more reliable bluetooth connections and generally improved responsiveness. Some games don't work, which is a bit of a drag, and the Programs/Start menu is just laughably poor. Was in worth it? I suppose so, largely because of the improved speed of the TG01. I still use SPB MS3.5, the re-vamped WM6.5 UI is still just not good enough.

Cheers,

David.