TMobile G2 (from eBay) Microphone Problems

Guest YB53

Hi,

Firstly sorry about the questions, I do not understand rooting/custom roms etc.

I bought an unlocked TMobile G2 from ebay recently under the assumption that it was new. However when trying to make phonecalls the microphone doesnt work properly and it sounds as if I am very distant/quiet. On researching some others have stated that this has happened after upgrading the phone.

I therefore looked at my phone in more depth and realised that it has MoDaCo Custom Rom 2.3 Core installed. Now I dont really understand what this is and worry that it is causing the microphone problems.

Therefore I am asking if it is possible to return the phone to it's full original factory settings to test if this is the problem. I obviously dont have any backup files as I didnt do this to the phone so am unsure if it is easily possible. Also if I do this will it remove the unlocking?

As I say, I don't really understand all this so I am sorry for my simple questions. I just can't really be bothered trying to resolve this through ebay if there is a simpler answer.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by YB53

Guest Stevie B

You need to download the generic T-Mobile UK 1.76.110.6 ROM from here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

Then you will need to install the android sdk to get the adb tools to access the phone via your PCs USB ports. I strongly suggest you read the many topics on this forum so you know what you are doing.

As for the unlock - updating the ROM will not interfere with this

Good luck

Do you think this will fix the microphone problems - i.e. could this custom rom be causing them?

How easy is it to do what you are suggesting. I really am very new to this and don't want to damage my phone more!

Thanks very much for your quick response

p.s. I just found this and was wondering it this would work (it looks easy!): http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/03/how-to-unroot-the-htc-hero/

Edited by YB53

Guest Baggieboy
Do you think this will fix the microphone problems - i.e. could this custom rom be causing them?

I'm using the MCR 2.3 ROM on a (former) T-Mobile G2 and haven't had any problem with the microphone.

Guest clarkEEE1

Like Stevie said download t mobile zip then put it on to your sd card and rename it update.zip make sure nothing else is named the same, then power off your phone and reboot holding home and power this should boot your recovery screen you should have this unless the person who had phone before you did it through adb and never flashed the recovery img permanently then you will need the sdk. then apply update.zip. then this will update phone to original state but I suggest you do a bit of reading on this forum to get a good understanding of things first.

Thanks. I have been reading about this all alot over the last day or two to try and get a grip on it.

Two questions though:

1) Should I do a nandroid backup?

2) Should I wipe it before updating?

Still trying to pluck up the courage to do this!

Just an update.

I changed the ROM back to the TMobile one on the page you recommended, and this has fully fixed the microphone problems.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by YB53

Guest clarkEEE1
Just an update.

I changed the ROM back to the TMobile one on the page you recommended, and this has fully fixed the microphone problems.

Thanks for all the help.

Great stuff weird Is that I'm on modaco 2. 3 and had no problems at all.