Hero: Strange 3G data connection problem

Guest yoda6

This is a weird one. My Hero has been having problems staying connected to 3G for the last week or so where previously it would have no such issues. I can get it to connect to 3G sometimes but whenever it does connect it will only stay connected for around 30 seconds or so before losing it again. Voice and SMS are unaffected and the signal is usually 2 bars, give or take 1. The strange thing is when it does drop the 3G it doesn't fall back to GPRS or EDGE unless I select 'Use only 2G networks' in the wireless settings, in which case it connects more or less instantly with full signal strength.

I'm using the Modaco Custom Rom v2.2 and I've tried two different radios. I started out on 6.35.06.18 (where I first noticed the problem) but I've reverted back to 6.35.05.31, but it has had no affect. I've also tried a factory reset, cleaning the SIM and neither has helped.

My next step will probably be to revert back to the original shipped ROM but if that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or ideas before I roll back the ROM.

Guest Chris Jenx
This is a weird one. My Hero has been having problems staying connected to 3G for the last week or so where previously it would have no such issues. I can get it to connect to 3G sometimes but whenever it does connect it will only stay connected for around 30 seconds or so before losing it again. Voice and SMS are unaffected and the signal is usually 2 bars, give or take 1. The strange thing is when it does drop the 3G it doesn't fall back to GPRS or EDGE unless I select 'Use only 2G networks' in the wireless settings, in which case it connects more or less instantly with full signal strength.

I'm using the Modaco Custom Rom v2.2 and I've tried two different radios. I started out on 6.35.06.18 (where I first noticed the problem) but I've reverted back to 6.35.05.31, but it has had no affect. I've also tried a factory reset, cleaning the SIM and neither has helped.

My next step will probably be to revert back to the original shipped ROM but if that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or ideas before I roll back the ROM.

you tired the new rom and radio from today?

My 3G is much faster after the update.

you tired the new rom and radio from today?

My 3G is much faster after the update.

Yep, got it on 2.5 now, still same issue.

Have just tried my SIM in my colleague's Hero and the problem follows the SIM to his Hero, so it looks like a SIM issue. Taking it up with Orange support now.

Update: Yep, sounds like a SIM issue on the accounts side of things, or so I'm told.

Edited by yoda6

Guest Martyn.28
Yep, got it on 2.5 now, still same issue.

Have just tried my SIM in my colleague's Hero and the problem follows the SIM to his Hero, so it looks like a SIM issue. Taking it up with Orange support now.

Update: Yep, sounds like a SIM issue on the accounts side of things, or so I'm told.

Hello,

Even when issue points to sim is probably network/account related as a sim is only really used for authentication to the network , Normally getting sim replaced will not solve this issue. I recommend calling orange tech support to see if this issue has been seen before.

Kind regards

Martyn

Hello,

Even when issue points to sim is probably network/account related as a sim is only really used for authentication to the network , Normally getting sim replaced will not solve this issue. I recommend calling orange tech support to see if this issue has been seen before.

Kind regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn

By 'sim issue' I simply meant not the phone hardware or firmware and probably something related to my account, which is what it turned out to be.