Will apps2sd kill my sd card quicker?

Guest trstn

Three quick fire questions...

1. apps2sd frees up system memory and moves the davlik-cache to my sd card, does this just give me more space on my hero's internal memory, or will it give a performance boost, or both?

2. I assume having the cache on the SD will result in a lot of read/write requests, won't this kill the sd card? (I read somewhere SD cards can't handle as many read/write requests as other memory types)

3. I have a 4gb sd at the moment, when/if I get an 8gb card, how easy is it to move the apps/cache to the new card?

Thanks for any help :)

Edited by trstn

Guest arkhonic
Three quick fire questions...

1. apps2sd frees up system memory and moves the davlik-cache to my sd card, does this just give me more space on my hero's internal memory, or will it give a performance boost, or both?

2. I assume having the cache on the SD will result in a lot of read/write requests, won't this kill the sd card? (I read somewhere SD cards can't handle as many read/write requests as other memory types)

3. I have a 4gb sd at the moment, when/if I get an 8gb card, how easy is it to move the apps/cache to the new card?

Thanks for any help :)

Here's some answers,

1. app2sd will move apps only, the davlik-cache can be moved seperately. Essentially it free's up system memory, moving davlik-cache MAY result in slower performance dependant on SD card used.

2. There will be more read/writes yes, but reads are what occur alot. reads don't affect the sd card, alot of writes however can (ie indexing files on windows, etc). Another reason to keep dalik on the phone and the apps on the sdcard. unless you plan on keep the sdcard for more than 1-2years I'd not be worried.

3. it should be easy if using linux on your os as it can see and alter ext2/3/4. if on Windows it's likely to be alot more difficult.

Here's some answers,

1. app2sd will move apps only, the davlik-cache can be moved seperately. Essentially it free's up system memory, moving davlik-cache MAY result in slower performance dependant on SD card used.

2. There will be more read/writes yes, but reads are what occur alot. reads don't affect the sd card, alot of writes however can (ie indexing files on windows, etc). Another reason to keep dalik on the phone and the apps on the sdcard. unless you plan on keep the sdcard for more than 1-2years I'd not be worried.

3. it should be easy if using linux on your os as it can see and alter ext2/3/4. if on Windows it's likely to be alot more difficult.

How can I ask to leave the davlik cache on the system memory?