ROM Decision Time!

Guest TheMrMay

Guest griffog

Definitely sticking with MoDaCo's. Don;t want to risk being locked out of running a custom ROM and have more faith in the guys here producing the best possible combo than T-Mobile or HTC!

Guest Stevie B

Personally, I'm updating to the HTC generic each time. I haven't seen any performance increase or decrease by using APPS2SD and I got fed up having to install modaco updates, to be followed, pretty quickly by fix/patch after fix/patch, and in turn having to recover settings... So, would prefer things to settle down for a few weeks.

Guest griffog
Personally, I'm updating to the HTC generic each time.

Is it possible to extract the file from the HTC updates so that they can be installed via the custom recovery image method? I don't have a PC so can't use the HTC Update App.

Guest squirreleater
Personally, I'm updating to the HTC generic each time. I haven't seen any performance increase or decrease by using APPS2SD and I got fed up having to install modaco updates, to be followed, pretty quickly by fix/patch after fix/patch, and in turn having to recover settings... So, would prefer things to settle down for a few weeks.

Well you don't get the latest update from Paul.

I'm running 1.5 still, quite happy to leave it be for now. when I do flash a newer version it will be at least a week old so all the bugs have been fixed or identified.

Guest Stea1thmode

I'm quite happy with the latest MoDaCo Rom 2.5.1 and not thinking of flashing to the TMobile official ROM any time soon. I like to keep my options open, I may consider it only for warranty purposes.

Okay, so now the T-Mobile ROM upgrade is available, are you going to install it?

Please answer the poll, and tell us all which ROM you are going to use.

Oh and below, tell us why. :(

Thanks all, and have fun with your Hero's!

Using generic, as I have some G-Sensor issues, as well as trackball issues and _should_ be sending the phone for warranty repair. I just don't want to be without it for the few weeks it takes to come back from repair, so I should say I'm stuck with the generic ROM for now :)

Guest teknologist

Same here. Hero with stock ROM was the most disappointing experience ever. I was about to sell it on eBay. Could even understand how such a laggy smartphone could make it to retail. I am a bit spoiled as I come from an iPhone 3GS which has a great CPU inside (not that I am happy with the overall iPhone experience though).

Then I installed Paul's 2.3 and was astonished by the performance improvement. I updated to 2.5.1 yesterday and again performance increase...

I use a Class6 16Gb SDCard with an ext3 partition and apps on SDCard.

To sum up, the phone is great with paul's ROM, a nightmare with HTC shipped ROM (dunno about their 2.75 update as I am definitely sticking with Paul's)

HTC should lay off their software engineers and hire Paul ! :)

By the way, thanks Paul,

Guest dwattsy21

Has anybody tried the new Orange ROM? Any thoughts on that? I am on Orange and runnig the Modaco ROM (I updated it about 4 weeks aago so presume it is the latest one? Don't know how you tell?) and feel reluctant to change to the standard orange rom when the modaco one seems to be fine. Has started to lag again a bit lately though

Guest dwattsy21
Dwattsy, stick with MoDaCo! It's far superior to the OrangeUK stock ROM (which I've been using for the last few weeks). I was reluctant to use anything other than stock (for warranty purposes), took the plunge yesterday and will never go back! OrangeROM is ok, but without APPS2SD, Root, Tethering etc... IMHO Getting everything to work (that you take for granted on MoDaCo's ROM) is just a pain.

How to check your ROM/Radio verson on HTC Hero (Google for info on the latest version numbers):

1. Press 'Menu' button (bottom left)

2. Select 'Settings'

3. Scroll down to 'About Phone'

4. Look for 'Build Number' (this is the ROM Version)

5. Look for 'Baseband Version' (this is the Radio Verson)

Hope this helps!

And thanks to Paul and the Dev team, outstanding work! :(

Cheers Agent 5. My build number is 2.73.405.5 14733 CL#61267 MCR2.0 release keys.

Are the later ROMS guna speed up my phone?

Guna give it a go tonight i think :)

Guest dwattsy21

Also my Baseband/ radio version is 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

Do i need to update this before i install the latest ROM? I'm sorry to sound dumb but i dont understand radios at all dont even know what they do!

Edited by dwattsy21