Microsoft Windows Virtual PC Windows XP Mode For Windows 7

Guest Broda

Developed by Microsoft -> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many of your

Windows XP productivity applications directly from a Windows 7-based PC.

It utilizes virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC to provide a

Virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

Before you download

Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel® Virtualization Technology or AMD-V™ feature turned on. This feature must be enabled in the system BIOS. For details on how to enable, visit the Configure BIOS page or check with your computer manufacturer.

How to confirm your PC can run Windows XP Mode

Although OEMs have been shipping hardware virtualization in PCs for three years, hardware virtualization is not available in all PCs — so even if your PC is new, it may not have hardware virtualization. Additionally, those PCs with hardware virtualization have it turned off by default, so you will need to turn on the hardware virtualization capability before you can use it.

What is Windows XP Mode?

Windows XP Mode is a new benefit of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate and provides additional application compatibility. It allows you to install and run many of your productivity applications for Windows XP directly from your Windows 7-based PC. It utilizes virtualization technology, such as Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

What is Windows Virtual PC?

Windows Virtual PC is the latest Microsoft virtualization technology designed for Windows 7. It is the runtime engine for Windows XP Mode to provide a virtual Windows environment for Windows 7. With Windows Virtual PC, Windows XP Mode applications can be seen and accessed from a Windows 7-based PC.

Anyone tried flash Omnia with this application using Windows 7?

Maybe this works like a VMWare

Edited by Broda

Just got virtual pc up and running, installed activesync and samsung modem drivers. I've read that people uses this method but I do not know how safe it is so I have not flashed with it yet.

Guest dannych99
Just got virtual pc up and running, installed activesync and samsung modem drivers. I've read that people uses this method but I do not know how safe it is so I have not flashed with it yet.

Use this before but no success( seems driver issue, donot know), still use VMware under Windows 7.

Use this before but no success( seems driver issue, donot know), still use VMware under Windows 7.

OK, but its now a new version of Windows XP Mode

Works like a VMWare. I will try

Thanks

Guest Daro.UK
OK, but its now a new version of Windows XP Mode

Works like a VMWare. I will try

Thanks

It wont work in XP Mode under 7, as any USB devices are detected by host system first. When you switch it manually to XP it is to late. I was trying to do that dozen times and give up.

It was like that in Beta and RC versions of XP Mode, havent tried it with RTM.

Guest rudebuoy

Microsoft Virtual PC in Windows XP Mode will not recognize USB devices. I tried it a couple of days ago without success. Here is an excerpt from the help file.

Note

Virtual PC does not support universal serial bus (USB) connections. For printers with USB connections only, you can share the printer on a network.

Sorry guys, stick with VMWare.

Edited by rudebuoy

Guest Daro.UK
Microsoft Virtual PC in Windows XP Mode will not recognize USB devices. I tried it a couple of days ago without success. Here is an excerpt from the help file.

Note

Virtual PC does not support universal serial bus (USB) connections. For printers with USB connections only, you can share the printer on a network.

Sorry guys, stick with VMWare.

You re just 50/50 right. M$ Virtual PC doesnt support USB Devices, but XP Mode under 7 does. You can switch any USB between host and virtual system, and its working without any problems form the first Beta

Guest jamesie

I've been using windows 7 for ages, and have been flashing my Omnia using xp mode since March.

there are a couple of steps to follow for a successful flash:

launch the rom update utility in xp mode

connect to USB port and restart the phone

when you hear the usb connection sound - attach the phone using the USB/attach button in xp mode

when the update utiilty reboots the phone - re-attach the phone using the USB/attach button in xp mode

hey presto phone flashed

simples

Edited by jamesie

I've been using windows 7 for ages, and have been flashing my Omnia using xp mode since March.

there are a couple of steps to follow for a successful flash:

launch the rom update utility in xp mode

connect to USB port and restart the phone

when you hear the usb connection sound - attach the phone using the USB/attach button in xp mode

when the update utiilty reboots the phone - re-attach the phone using the USB/attach button in xp mode

hey presto phone flashed

simples

Special thanks to user Jamesie

Hi

flashing your Omnia is possible in windows 7 XP mode and is really easy to do - below is a modified version of sectors tutorial for standard XP with a few additional steps (In bold) required to flash in windows 7 XP mode

Flashing in windows 7 /XP mode

1. Install Windows XP mode for free if you have windows 7 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx (once)

2. start virtual XP in full screen mode

3. Install Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 (first time use only)

4. Install the Samsung Modem Driver XP (first time use only)

5. Reboot the virtual XP to full screen

6. After these first steps try to disconnect your Omnia from USB and connect it back on using the "Attach i900" in the USB menu at the top of full screen virtual XP mode. Repeat it 1-2 times so the PC can recognize the phone.

It is advised to reboot your virtual XP back to full screen. (first time use only)

7. Make sure that you have a backup of all your important stuff (contacts, pictures etc).

8. Switch OFF the phone by holding the Power button for ~5 seconds.

9. Run the updater. (Works the same way for Original or Cooked ROMs)

10. Switch ON the phone again by holding the Power button.

11. Press "attach i900" in the USB menu at top of full screen virtual XP when you hear device attached sound

12. Press START on the updater and your phone will start flashing. Do not move your phone or the USB wire as it might fail during flashing

13. after a few seconds the phone reboots - Press "attach i900" in the usb menu at top of full screen virtual XP when you hear device attached sound and flashing will continue.

14. Wait until the updater shows JOB DONE! DO NOT DISCONNECT BEFORE.

15. Disconnect your phone.

16. Leave the phone to reboot 2 times, calibrate screen and finish the start-up procedure.

17. Enjoy the new firmware.

pretty straight forwards, I hope this helps, but as always flashing is risky if not done properly and i don't accept responsibility for mishaps

Guest punkmonkey1984
No way that this will work ~ your hardware had to be recognised by the mother system before being recognised by the son system~

yeah i thought this too, but it does work, in vmware the sub-system does pick it up first, i flashed my omnia last night with it (altho i was scared lol)

• 8 months later...
Guest thunderme

Hi All,

newbie here happy as can be! Found the following link that I have roamed through multiple forums for on this site. My alltel Axcess app would not recognize the usb drivers for a U520 samsung cdma modem. Wa La. the trick worked! Thanks soo much!

win 7 and vm xp cdma modem