14/Jan 1.5.2 - Installing the custom recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

HELP!

I have a Huawei U8220 (not from T-Mobile) that´s touch screen stop working after I installed the recovery image from http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/

The problem is that I have it locked and I can´t draw the pattern to unlock it.

When I enter BootMode (blue screen) it says:

USB FastBoot: V0.5

Machine ID: 1007000 v0

Build Date: Oct 20 2009, 23:21:44

Serial Number: UNKNOWN

So according to you guide I don´t have the December upgrade installed.

My question is, what must I do to have the touch screen working again? The keys do work, that´s why I can get to bootloader mode and I can even shut it down, but I can not login nor do anything that involves the touch screen.

Please help.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sh4d0w940

I'll probably look stupid now :lol: but i can't get the recovery image to work.

As far as I know it installed correctly, at the blue screen it said it was installed.

But now I don't know what to do next to make an NAND-backup.

Greets Sh4d0w940

PS. My English is not very good but I understand most of it :D

Edit: Found on the wiki you have to press Red+Menu in stead of Vol. Down. Problem Solved

Edit2: When I hold the menu button + Red button it just boots up normally

Any help would be much appriciated :D

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest Sh4d0w940
Have you got December update installed? That key combination only works after the update. Try adb reboot recovery

I do now and it works :D

I backed up my nand and installing the custom rom now

thx for the help :D

From one newbie to another......

INITIAL HUAWEI U8220 NANDROID BACKUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEWBIES

Disclaimer
: This works for me; it may not work for you; I take no responsibility for the accuracy of what is here nor of the consequences of what you do with this information.

Because I had a CHT8000 (a Huawei U8220 branded for ChungHwaTelecom, not a T-Mobile Pulse), I had wanted to do a nandroid backup prior to messing around with my ROM in any way. I figured the CHT8000 ROM was possibly different than what I would find based on the Pulse ROM, and that was correct. However, simply put, I failed. Noob mistakes. But thanks to a few patient people on this site, I was able to rectify things, but it really wasn't necessary to go through all of that. No fault to anyone else, but I just didn't get it. I think I finally do "get it" now. And, it is not difficult. If this is your goal for your unmodified Huawei U8220 device, here are some instructions in "newbie speak".

(Note: everything I write here is available in other places in this forum, but sometimes it's hard to put all the pieces together, especially for a noob. Hopefully this will help.)

If you want to do a nandroid backup of your brand new device, before you install or change anything in the ROM, you need to use the the Recovery Image in this thread, NOT the Superboot images any other ROM images in this forum. However, you do NOT want to "install" the recovery image by using the installation instructions in the original post or running the "install-recovery-windows.bat" or "install-recovery" scripts (linux/mac) included in the zip file. (At least, not yet; but that comes later.) Instead, you want to "fastboot" into the recovery image without installing it. It's not that hard.

After you have downloaded and extracted the 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip file, you need to do three things: start your phone in "fastboot" mode, plug it into your computer via the USB cable, and run a command to just boot into the recovery image.

-To boot your phone into fastboot mode, shut it completely down, and then while you press the [Volume-Down] and [End-Call] keys together, push the power button. Your phone should boot very quickly into a blue screen with white letters.

-Plug the phone into your computer.

-Run this command from within the \1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery folder (no quotes): "fastboot-windows.exe boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img". You should notice the the words "flash recovery" in the original command have been replaced with the word "boot". If you do not know how to run that command, you probably shouldn't be doing any of this anyway, but see below for something even easier.* :(

If everything went according to plan, you will now be in "recovery mode", with that "RA-pulse-v1.5.2" recovery image running, and you can do a nandroid backup by navigating the menus and clicking with your trackball. When you are done, navigate back to the first menu and reboot. You have succeeded in your initial, "pure" nandroid ROM backup.

*Having said what I did about knowing how to run that command, there is a simple way to run it and give yourself something very simple to click on in the future if you ever want to do this again. Remember that "install-recovery-windows.bat" file I mentioned above? In Windows Explorer, just right click on it and choose "Edit". Now you can change the line of text you see there to this line instead (no quotes): "fastboot-windows.exe boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img". Now click File>Save As..., and you can save it with a new name, something like "boot-only-recovery.bat". After that, you can just double click on that batch file to boot into the recovery image and do your nandroid backup.
(And may I pause here to humbly suggest that those modified batch/script files could be included in future versions of the recovery image files?)

If after you are sure you've got that "pure", original factory default ROM backup, you can go right ahead and "install" the Amon RA recovery image onto your phone or run superboot to root your phone or install custom ROMs or pretty much do anything else you want to (within reason, of course), because you have that original "pure" backup. Oh, one more thing: you probably want to go ahead and copy that nandroid backup folder from your SD card over to your computer for safe keeping.

That's it. Enjoy.

(If anyone sees anything wrong with these instructions, please let me know ASAP; I'm just trying to be helpful.)

Edited by Paul

Guest DarkBytePH

Thank you twrock!

That was exactly i looking for. Now i will go and do it, so i can dig into installing the custom ROM without worrying about how to restore factory state. :(

Guest DarkBytePH

One thing i don't understand. I did the backup as twrock said, nandroid places all the img files in the nandroid folder on the SD card. This constains a file named recovery.img. At the first post i see by the Backup/Restore option that "recovery partition not included!". :( So what is this file then? I followed twrock's tutorial to save down all the images from the stock state so i can get them back on the device when i should bring it to the service for a repair. So it doesn't keeps the recovery image anyway, or the new Amon RA recovery constains a newer nandroid version which can do so save down the recovery image also and the post wasn't updated? :(

One thing i don't understand. I did the backup as twrock said, nandroid places all the img files in the nandroid folder on the SD card. This constains a file named recovery.img. At the first post i see by the Backup/Restore option that "recovery partition not included!". :( So what is this file then? I followed twrock's tutorial to save down all the images from the stock state so i can get them back on the device when i should bring it to the service for a repair. So it doesn't keeps the recovery image anyway, or the new Amon RA recovery constains a newer nandroid version which can do so save down the recovery image also and the post wasn't updated? :(

Yeah, that kind of thing is part of why this was confusing to me too. Here's my guess, but it is only my guess, and people smarter than me can correct this if I'm wrong.

The "Backup/Restore (recovery partition not included!)" comment might be because if you run the original command, as contained in the install-recovery-windows.bat file, your original recovery.img WILL be replaced by the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img prior to the backup happening. Then your nandroid backup will have the Amon RA recovery image as the file "recovery.img". So your original "recovery partition [will] not [be] included" just lets you know this is going to happen.

And that is exactly why I wrote those instructions, because noobs like me didn't know what that meant until after it was done. Fortunately, unbeknown to me, I actually HAD done a backup prior to flashing the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img onto my phone, so I am able to flash my original recovery.img back onto the device if I choose to.

On my phone (and I suspect on every HW U8220), the original recovery.img is pretty worthless, so flashing the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img onto your device is probably what you do eventually want to do. Not having the original recovery.img is no big deal, unless you need to "clean up" the evidence you've messed with the ROM. But when you ask about how to do that, you usually get the cryptic answer, "Just restore your original nand backup." But that only works if you really do have an "original" and not a backup made after you flashed the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img.

Guest DarkBytePH
The "Backup/Restore (recovery partition not included!)" comment might be because if you run the original command, as contained in the install-recovery-windows.bat file, your original recovery.img WILL be replaced by the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img prior to the backup happening. Then your nandroid backup will have the Amon RA recovery image as the file "recovery.img". So your original "recovery partition [will] not [be] included" just lets you know this is going to happen.

That's what i thought about too. I have compared the Amon RA img file and the recovery.img that nandroid made from my device with your method, and they are'nt the same size anyway. So i guess it's really the stock recovery image (or the ROM space is bigger for the recovery partition and it dumped down the garbage at the end also :( ). On the hungarian forum where i came from, people say that if i reflash the december update, it replaces the recovery with the stock version anyway, but it's better to have it for sure. :(

Guest Joran95

Hello,

For some reason this isnt working for me, i have the Pulse in BootLoader mode, then i launched the 'install-recovery-windows.bat'.

But that doesn't install the image because it won't connect.

It just says <Waiting for Device>.

Anyone can help?

Guest twrock
Hello,

For some reason this isnt working for me, i have the Pulse in BootLoader mode, then i launched the 'install-recovery-windows.bat'.

But that doesn't install the image because it won't connect.

It just says <Waiting for Device>.

Anyone can help?

Just to be sure, in fastboot mode, are you seeing a blue screen on the phone with a few lines of white text?

Unplug your phone from the computer and replug it in. Did it work this time?

With the phone in fastboot mode, run this command on your computer (no quotes): "fastboot-windows.exe devices". Does it have any response; is there any device listed immediately after that command is given (even something as simple as "? fastboot") or is there just a blank line following your command?

When your phone is booted normally, can you connect with your computer via the USB cable, ever? Does your computer "see" the device in normal circumstances (i.e. as a mass storage device)?

That's all I've got for suggestions and questions. If none of that works, you need advice from someone with some skills.

Edited by twrock

Guest Joran95
Just to be sure, in fastboot mode, are you seeing a blue screen on the phone with a few lines of white text?

Unplug your phone from the computer and replug it in. Did it work this time?

With the phone in fastboot mode, run this command on your computer (no quotes): "fastboot-windows.exe devices". Does it have any response; is there any device listed immediately after that command is given (even something as simple as "? fastboot") or is there just a blank line following your command?

When your phone is booted normally, can you connect with your computer via the USB cable, ever? Does your computer "see" the device in normal circumstances (i.e. as a mass storage device)?

That's all I've got for suggestions and questions. If none of that works, you need advice from someone with some skills.

I am seeing the lines, yes.

The unplugging didn't work, the command didn't too, i did it in command prompt, or should i do it in fastboot-windows.exe?

Oh, btw my pc does recognize it when plugged in normally, now, it says in the balloonthingy at the taskbar (in win7) 'installing driver..' and then a minute or so later 'driver cannot be found'. does this matter?

Guest Jan M
I am seeing the lines, yes.

The unplugging didn't work, the command didn't too, i did it in command prompt, or should i do it in fastboot-windows.exe?

Oh, btw my pc does recognize it when plugged in normally, now, it says in the balloonthingy at the taskbar (in win7) 'installing driver..' and then a minute or so later 'driver cannot be found'. does this matter?

Yes, you need to install the fastboot-mode driver...try to find it on the CD or in this forum...

Guest Joran95
Yes, you need to install the fastboot-mode driver...try to find it on the CD or in this forum...

Okay, i'm looking the CD up now..

-EDIT-

I can only seem to find a 'fastboot.exe' but when i click this it just runs some command prompt and closes.

My phone is connected and in fastboot mode :(

Edited by Joran95

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dgerson

Joran, I am having the same issue... have you found a solution yet?

Okay, i'm looking the CD up now..

-EDIT-

I can only seem to find a 'fastboot.exe' but when i click this it just runs some command prompt and closes.

My phone is connected and in fastboot mode :)

Guest Joran95
Joran, I am having the same issue... have you found a solution yet?

No, well, the post beneath yours seems to give the answer.

You need to get the drivers from the directory in the PCSuite install on Windows 7 it doesn't seem to install them correctly.

Ok, i could install WinXP on a VM i guess.. I'll post if it works :)

Guest giryan
No, well, the post beneath yours seems to give the answer.

Ok, i could install WinXP on a VM i guess.. I'll post if it works ;)

Just install the PC Suite, and then when you plug the phone in and it wants the drivers go and find them in PCSuite directory :)

for some reason it doesn't hook them up so windows will install them automatically, that's the only issue. It's mentioned elsewhere on here, and I guess in the wiki

Guest lilim_ac

help.. i'm using huawei u8230 and i want to make nandroid back up. this is the first time for me.

but when i choose nandroid backup it said run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!!

how to solve this?

when i try in cmd to type adb devices ; only written "list of devise attached" nothing more

when i typed adb shell ; it said "device not found"

help please...

i've tried to format the sd card but still problem occur..

my battery is also 90%.. help please

Edited by lilim_ac

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shirish Tiwari

Hi,

Need help urgently:

1. I installed T mobile december update on my U8220

2. I installed rooting

3. I installed pathched recovery image on my device

4. rebooted

Now my pulse does not start. It shows Android screen and then t mobile screen. This will reapeat again and again but the mobile will not start.

Please help guys.

Thanks

Shirish

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ajieboy

my Camera app dont work after i install AMON RA 1.5.2 Recovery Image.

anyone experience this problem?

now what should i do?

i dont have original Recovery image.

my ROM is B271

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DanWilson

Hey Paul, why does the Pulse Mini get two recoveries and we get one (which is older than the AmonRa mini recovery!) I mean, it would be nice to be up to date with AmonRa, or try Koush's recovery. *HINT HINT* (Unless there is a specific reason - i.e. problems, one we have is better etc.) :rolleyes:

Edited by DanWilson