Should I keep including WaveSecure in ROM?

Guest PaulOBrien

I notice a few people are taking issue with WaveSecure in ROM, so I have a proposal... I make it available via a seperate update.zip, just like 'Extended' is.

Vote in the poll attached to make your feelings known! :)

P

Paul, I think WaveSecure is a good idea in that it provides functionality similar to MobileMe, and can be a great sense of mind for those who are afraid at the loss of their phone. However, It should not be included in the standard release. One of the main driving points for me behind using the modaco rom over stock is the fact that it adds optimizations and minor features I find useful, without a ton of "I think this is great, so everyone else is going to want this too!". It's a simple stock ROM with minor improvements, just what I'm looking for.

Having to go in via shell and remove a piece of software that I personally do not want, especially since to me it is more or less bloatware (again, not because I think it is a bad program, just not what I want) defeats the purpose of using your rom. I'm coming to you because you've already done all this hard work so the rest of us can have an easy experience.

Overall, it's your project and YOU decide what goes into it. If you feel there is enough reason to keep WaveSecure, then by all means do. But please keep a seperate "Standard" release, which still has the aims of the original project in mind. I personally wouldn't mind this being added to the Extended release seeing as how I feel it fits more into that category, and would keep you from having to maintain yet another update.zip

Guest itolson

I think it should be optional, its cost me £0.80 in text messages so far, my battery has gone flat in one night (maybe a coincidence).

I would like to thank you for your hard work with the rom's, well done and keep up the good work.

thanks

Guest dlzerocool
I think it should be optional, its cost me £0.80 in text messages so far, my battery has gone flat in one night (maybe a coincidence).

I would like to thank you for your hard work with the rom's, well done and keep up the good work.

thanks

My battery has gone really quick too, (15h~).

Guest seanyowl

Just thought i would add my 2 cents... just like the first post its your ROM include what you think is correct, but i do have issue's with it ... like sending txt messages to people every time i reboot or flash the phone to let them know its been stolen. I them have to explain that i have flashed or rebooted the phone and it has not been stolen. Curious to know if anyone else has had these issues? I have reported the problem to Wavesecure and it should be evident by the txt messages that they have sent out to say the phone has been stolen!

Thanks for the time spent on the ROM's.... :)

Guest dwattsy21

I have just installed 2.6 and set up wave secure. I personally think it's a great feature, but agree that it should be optional, as it is not essential, and not everybody will want/need it.

Unsure of how it affects the battery. Has anybody else noticed that it has reduced battery time?Says on the website it does but only by 3%?

Guest android_fanatic

This software is like insurance. Everyone thinks they dont need it unless they end up having the need for it and then regret it in hindsight.

I personally loved WaveSecure and even with its kinks (Inaccurate location, locks phone on restart even on my SIM) I think its a great software.

Also, keep in mind that its Beta.

My suggestion is to keep it as Extended till they keep it Beta. But once they have fixed most of the issues you should put it back in the core ROM.

Guest Poischack
No!

Just keep the rom as clean as possible. Give the extra's as an add-on.

Yes it would be great to have a lite rom : no wavesecure, no java, no android-wifi-tether, ...

We can download all of them.

Guest chucky.egg

It seems that people want different things from their ROMs:

1. Very clean, plain and fast

2. As above, but with some commonly used apps

I'd say keep a very trimmed-down version for those that want it, but I'd take the Enahnced version with Wavesecure in ROM

Guest dwattsy21
It seems that people want different things from their ROMs:

1. Very clean, plain and fast

2. As above, but with some commonly used apps

I'd say keep a very trimmed-down version for those that want it, but I'd take the Enahnced version with Wavesecure in ROM

Will the Hero run faster without Wavesecure, Java and the tether? If i delete these will the phone run faster?

Guest Poischack
Will the Hero run faster without Wavesecure, Java and the tether? If i delete these will the phone run faster?

I think that you will not see the difference.

I agree with optional

I would be better to include in "EXTENDED ROM"

So the core will be clean and fast.

But personally some user don't know how to remove it. for example : in those country which English isn't strong enough.

That's all....

Thank for your rom

Guest Stevie B

I would like to see the modaco roms optimised and nothing else. There are just too many apps and hence too many permutations to cater for everybodys needs/wishes. If somebody wants a specific app then its very easy to add it, is it not?

Guest chucky.egg

Yep, but some apps (like WaveSecure) are more effective in ROM - if a thief steals your phone he can wipe it, but the app remains.

Apps like WaveSecure are the exception though really

Guest Keramidas

Personally I like WaveSecure and see no difference in battery usage with it. Well sure, to prevent uninstall, it should be part of the ROM. But I agree it would be best to make it optional for MoDaCo ROM users (ie: move it to the optional Enhanced ROM file).

About battery drain problems: is everyone sure that it's not caused by another component within the 2.6 ROM itself ? Just login with adb, rename WaveSecure's apk, and reboot. Then check battery level the next morning...

Remember: generally speaking, WaveSecure should take no CPU because it sits idle. It should only consume CPU when the OS wakes it up, for example when a SMS is received or when the OS has just finished booting.

Guest chucky.egg

I've certainly not seen any adverse effect on my battery life as a result of WaveSecure or 2.6

In fact I'd say my battery life is better now I have MCR2.6 and the FU radio (2.2e and EU radio previously)

Guest krispijn_s
Personally I like WaveSecure and see no difference in battery usage with it. Well sure, to prevent uninstall, it should be part of the ROM. But I agree it would be best to make it optional for MoDaCo ROM users (ie: move it to the optional Enhanced ROM file).

About battery drain problems: is everyone sure that it's not caused by another component within the 2.6 ROM itself ? Just login with adb, rename WaveSecure's apk, and reboot. Then check battery level the next morning...

Remember: generally speaking, WaveSecure should take no CPU because it sits idle. It should only consume CPU when the OS wakes it up, for example when a SMS is received or when the OS has just finished booting.

I'm actually not convinced this is truely the case. I've done some checking using Spare Parts' "Battery History"-stats when I read about a problem with Sprint's Hero and the SMS-application causing the dailer to keep the phone awake. I've posted my finding in the ROM topic: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1092034

I think WaveSecure actually works rather well from a security point of view, but it does drain the battery because it keeps the cpu alive even though the screen is off. This is a so-called Partial Wake Lock.

I feel people should be able to decide whether they want that trade-off or not, so I've voted for the "put it in the enhanced-pack"-option.

Edited by krispijn_s

I personnally noticed a drastic battery life reduction with WaveSecure.

Moreover, to my mind, this sort of app is useless. If someone steals your phone, you can have every app you want : you'll never see it again.

I don't see any problem if it's included as an option in the rom, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's included in 'core' rom, it'll always be the first thing I'll remove with adb.

My vote went for the "option" choice :-)

so these are my 2 cents:

i get a locked phone occasionally, with two sms to my buddys number, which is actually my work phone. happened ony without any reason, and a few times after reboot. this morning my phone was shut down, the battery was empty. when i left it yesterday in the evening it had 96%(!) battery. after turning it on i was welcomed by wavescures lockscreen...

battery usage shown in screenshot. all in all i have to say this is rather annoying, and somehow leaves me with a bad feeling about wavesecure in general. i don't actually expect something like this to happen, but i don't want to find my phone wiping my sdcard because of a bug in wavesecure...

as for the poll: just for me to be sure: if you put it in the enhanced pack it wouldn't be deleted by a wipe? in this case i would vote for the option, but if it gets deleted you should leave it out till it works flawless.

post-177282-1255985933_thumb.png