Has Orange UK dropped the TG01?

Guest Chris_R

Guest Chris_R

I was looking at the Orange website today at alternative phones as I'm about to give up on the TG01 and noticed that it has disappeared from the website. I thought they might be updating the listing to add in details on WM 6.5...

Later I went into an Orange store and the TG01 wasn't on display. I was told that Orange had "recalled" the TG01 and it was no longer on sale! The staff didn't know why or whether it was coming back.

So what do you make of that? I'm not surprised from my experience...

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/mobile is down as well :)

Edited by Chris_R

Guest Wildfire
I was looking at the Orange website today at alternative phones as I'm about to give up on the TG01 and noticed that it has disappeared from the website. I thought they might be updating the listing to add in details on WM 6.5...

Later I went into an Orange store and the TG01 wasn't on display. I was told that Orange had "recalled" the TG01 and it was no longer on sale! The staff didn't know why or whether it was coming back.

So what do you make of that? I'm not surprised from my experience...

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/mobile is down as well :)

I was talking to an Orange employee who iknow personally,they were telling me that they have had a lot of issues with the TG01, especially the early batch

Biggest issue has included the poor battery life and freezing

Its a shame it was brought to market so quickly, it would aqppear that more time was required doing R&D

Who knows, maybe it has been dropped

Guest Neil5459

I thnk its more likely that they have suspended sales until they get the new WM6.5 stock from Toshiba. There would be no point in selling the old m6.1 versaion as it's now technically out of date, and there may be delays in supplying new stock.

I don't see that they would have gone to the trouble of developing the new Orange interface for the TG01 WM6.5 if they weren't going to use it.

Guest StanYau

Orange delivered a new TG01 to me last week - received it on Thursday.

Have flashed to WM6.5 through the update on the Toshiba web site (http://www.toshiba-europe.com/mobile/) - the site is now back up.

The TG01 is still listed no the business page (http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...gename=Business) - however, I don't know how reliable this info is, as the Touch Pro2 is also listed on the business web page, and there's ambiguity around whether it is still available (http://www.modaco.com/content/rhodium-rhodium-modaco-com/292357/orange-no-longer-providing-the-htc-touch-pro2/).

Guest Chris_R
Working again.... now all the information says that TG01 has WM6.5

B.R.

Just had a text from Orange to say that they are sending out replacement chargers due to a fault. Guess that would explain the "recall"... It's still not back on the Orange website though.

I've been offered an LG Arena as a replacement. Doesn't seem to cut it as an equivalent on the specs (Smaller screen, slower processor, no proper apps) but I'll check it out over the weekend. Anyone had one before?

Guest Neil5459
Just had a text from Orange to say that they are sending out replacement chargers due to a fault. Guess that would explain the "recall"... It's still not back on the Orange website though.

I've been offered an LG Arena as a replacement. Doesn't seem to cut it as an equivalent on the specs (Smaller screen, slower processor, no proper apps) but I'll check it out over the weekend. Anyone had one before?

Interestingly I've just had the same text- strange thing is that I bought mine from Ebay, and have not registered it to my account, so either they are using some sort of device discovery allocated to a SIM card, or maybe using the IMEI numbers? Quite impressive anyway! Presume I'll have to contact tech Support for the replacement !

Guest Medved77

Have you guys experienced any issues with the chargers? mine seems just fine.

I haven't received the SMS though so maybe mine was from a later batch?

yeah i had a problem with my charger. It started to rattle when you shook it! Then it stopped working, i contacted orange and they told me i wasnt covered under insurance or under gaurentee for a replacement charger. When i questioned this, they said that i could by a new one from ebay for a tenner, and they would credit my account with a tenner. just call them when i purchase the new charger. This was about a month ago but i never called them. Ive since recieved the text message,( yesterday )

Guest rammy121
Interestingly I've just had the same text- strange thing is that I bought mine from Ebay, and have not registered it to my account, so either they are using some sort of device discovery allocated to a SIM card, or maybe using the IMEI numbers? Quite impressive anyway! Presume I'll have to contact tech Support for the replacement !

..i know this has nothing really to do with this topic but still..did you buy the phone 2nd hand? i'm considering buying one 2nd hand from ebay etc. but worried that once you buy it, the previous owner could register it as missing etc. then it's network blocked. is this possible?

thanks.

Guest Neil5459

You are right to be concerned- a lot of people fall foul of the blocking issue. For a brand new phone, it is less likely to happen, but there is always a chance that an unscrupulous, or simply ignorant seller may report it lost or stolen at some point in the future not knowing that the network will then block the handset.

As always, its buyer beware- look at the sellers reputation and pick up in person if possible. Keep all the contact details, as Ebay won't try and help beyond the dispute period, though you'd have a case in a civil action. The network providers are also becoming more aware of the problem and will often help, particularly if you can demonstrate that you had been successfully using the handset for some time.

Guest Neil5459

Orange now appear to have new stock of the TG01 and it does come with WM6.5 pre-installed, with a 'New WindowsPhone Version' sticker on the box. Not yet in Orange shops, but apparently available via the 0800 number on the website.

I don't know if it has a revised charger though!

Guest rammy121
You are right to be concerned- a lot of people fall foul of the blocking issue. For a brand new phone, it is less likely to happen, but there is always a chance that an unscrupulous, or simply ignorant seller may report it lost or stolen at some point in the future not knowing that the network will then block the handset.

As always, its buyer beware- look at the sellers reputation and pick up in person if possible. Keep all the contact details, as Ebay won't try and help beyond the dispute period, though you'd have a case in a civil action. The network providers are also becoming more aware of the problem and will often help, particularly if you can demonstrate that you had been successfully using the handset for some time.

neil,

many thanks for your information. greatly appreciated.

cheers....

rammy.

Guest razerbug

I wonder if they would also rather push their orange branded iphones on people and are content to let the TG01 simmer on the back burner till they've got a 6.5 version to push.

Guest Neil5459
I wonder if they would also rather push their orange branded iphones on people and are content to let the TG01 simmer on the back burner till they've got a 6.5 version to push.

They already have some stock of the new WM6.5 version, so hopefully we'll see them marketing this a bit more. The update does seem to have made this a much better device.