edit file within adb shell?

Guest grokit

hi there,

I'm new to this, but have rooted and flashed my hero. nice work Paul!

for editing files on my HTC Hero, do I have to either revert to sed(1) or pull the file, edit on the PC and then push it back?

I found that within adb shell, vi(1) or simly an "ls" will create some screen output within the Vista CMD box, that won't "honor" the escape sequences like I was within a terminal emulator.

<BR><BR>C:\Android\androidsdk\tools>adb shell ls<BR>←[1;34mcache←[0m				 ←[1;32minit.goldfish.rc←[0m	  ←[1;34msbin←[0m<BR>←[1;34mdata←[0m				  ←[1;32minit.hero.rc←[0m		  ←[1;34msdcard←[0m<BR>←[0;0mdefault.prop←[0m		  ←[1;32minit.rc←[0m			   ←[1;34msqlite_stmt_journals←[0m<BR>←[1;34mdev←[0m				   ←[0;0mlogo.rle←[0m			  ←[1;34msys←[0m<BR>←[1;36metc←[0m				   ←[1;34mproc←[0m				  ←[1;34msystem←[0m<BR>←[1;32minit←[0m				  ←[1;34mroot←[0m<BR><BR>

can I run adb shell in a window that understands those escape sequences? or can I configure my environment so that I can use vi?

I was not yet able to get dropbear running, despite the numerous how-to's I've found. if I could get it running, I would use putty.exe.

thanks for any hints

dan