Is update.zip the right distribution method for themes ?

Guest jank.dk

Guest jank.dk

Hi there

I was just wondering if update.zip is the right way to distribute themes for the Hero - yes i know it is convenient and easy to install a theme this way, but the update.zip could potentially replace any file on the phone and install all kinds of nasty surprises. AFAIK update.zip's primary purpose is to install new ROMs.

If a lot of people start making themes it could be very hard for users to know who are to be trusted.

Maybe somebody could develop an app to install themes from a special theme-file containing only theme-related files and settings, so foul play can be eliminated. It is much easier to audit a single app compared to hundreds of themes in update.zip's.

Guest clarkEEE1
Hi there

I was just wondering if update.zip is the right way to distribute themes for the Hero - yes i know it is convenient and easy to install a theme this way, but the update.zip could potentially replace any file on the phone and install all kinds of nasty surprises. AFAIK update.zip's primary purpose is to install new ROMs.

If a lot of people start making themes it could be very hard for users to know who are to be trusted.

Maybe somebody could develop an app to install themes from a special theme-file containing only theme-related files and settings, so foul play can be eliminated. It is much easier to audit a single app compared to hundreds of themes in update.zip's.

At the moment there is only ratcom (think he changed his name to kos-world) doing these themes for hero I have installed both the clear and black themes so he can be trusted but I no what your saying for the future when more people start doing them. If you do install a new theme just do a nandroid backup before installing so you can roll back.

Edited by clarkEEE1

Guest shokka9

aye, totally agree.

i was going to make a themed ROM this week, but i think i may try to develop an app to allow themes to be changed...

i don't even know where to begin tho...but i have all the files installed, so i am good to go.

Like M2DC on WinMo, be nice to see something similar on Android. I think its really needed too. That way we can all backup current theme and then start changing themes, knowing we can go backwards as well as forwards.

:)