Newbies Q's - Could possibly be an FAQ

Guest DavidC

Hi All,

I've had my i900 for a year and thanks to this site have the unmodified DXID1 6.1 ROM and an updated touchscreen.

I now want to try a WM6.5 ROM but don't want one with TouchFlo. I'm getting really really confused by all the ROMs on here so am hoping that a couple of simple questions may clear things up.

1) What is Titanium? I see it mentioned a lot, what does it refer to?

2) Is there a Samsung 6.5 ROM with TouchWiz or are they all stock 6.5 or 6.5 with TouchFLo?

3) For someone like me who wants a WM 6.5 ROM without and HTC Touchflo front end, that hasn't been stripped out to be a Lite Lite version - what's the best (stablest) ROM to go for?

Thanks for you help, this forum has been a great source of info for this phone making it an infinitely better handset than the one I bought over a year ago.

DC

Guest shokka9

hi :)

Answers.....

1) Titanium is the UI (User Interface) for WM6.5. It is the display you see when in the Home/Today screen. Basically a list of shortcuts.....with the Clock usually being the centre one.

2) Touchwiz is till there, but you wont see it much due to the amount of stuff we remove. We dont remove Touchwiz, but apps that use it.

3) Your choice....There arent many standard ROMs around to be honest, as most of it is classed as 'Bloatware'. There are few ROMs without M2D (TouchFlo)....but most of them are LITE versions too.

All i can say is look at the first post of each thread, and read all it...You will see whats in and whats not etc.

There is a lot of choice, and you will end up flashing most of them to test, this is life of a flash-a-holic

Good luck and be good!

Thank you very much for that. I guess I will just need to try out the selection on here as see which one suits me best.

Hopefully these will tie me over until my contract expires in Feb 2010.

DC

start flshin to custom wm 6.5 roms and it will be like u are on drugs with these roms,, need flashing new ones all the time.

some things dont work while others do in different roms. so its all flashing and flashing and flashing.... cant really stick to one in which everything works..... but thats the point of freedom, right, to be able to choose and be free to flash like crazy :).

i started flashing some custom roms like a months ago, and i did flash my omnia like a 100 times more or less since that time...always something not working in this build but working in others... all these wm 6.5.1 roms are in testing phase, so bugs are to be expected in them.

so take the jump to custom roms and i can assure u will be addicted to flashing and will keep u busy until and even after the end or ur contract of feb 2010.

Guest shokka9

like drugs.....:) hehehe

damm right! i got addicted, look where it took me....had Omnia since sep08...lol...knew nothing of windows mobile...its better than drugs :(

gone.....

Guest badtrip

Since its newbie topic i would like to ask sometihng that is really piiisng me off about WM6.5 ROMS...

@shokka9

Our phones freeze while we charge it.

But in one condition.

Ä° we turning off the LCD display, it goes dark and wont turn back.

Even soft reset wont work! You have to unplug the battery!

I found a solution for that but its not a really solution..

in the external power settings, i'm using the "never turn off LCD" selection..

It works...

Have you got any idea why this is happenning?

Edited by badtrip

@badtrip, have you try to push/tap the power button? Don't push it too long, it will shutdown your omnia.

Btw, I also read an instruction to install program somewhere in this forum, which tell user not to let LCD goes off by touching the screen every now & then, since then we need to re-install. Actually just do the above thing and it will show the installation still running.

I tried a few (3 I think) of the 6.5 ROMs last night. Personally I found the Titanium ones easier than the WM7 style ROMS to get used to, but on all that I tried I had the same issue. I could only enter text via a qwerty keyboard. I could not select the Samsung Phonepad which I kinda rely on.

I tried installing some of the keyboard cabs linked on here but just couldn't get it to work. I've flashed back to the stock DXID1 ROM this morning and may dip my toe back into the WM6.5 pool later this week as my 1st impression wasn't that great. Is there a simple method to add apps to the home screen, or do those bars get added to the home screen when an app is installed to the device.

Guest shokka9
Since its newbie topic i would like to ask sometihng that is really piiisng me off about WM6.5 ROMS...

@shokka9

But in one condition.

Hi

I have no idea what you are describing. When i plug my charger in, i have no issues with screen freeze?

WTF?

Sorry, you didnt have to PM too :)

@shokka9

But in one condition.

It works...

like adhip mentioned, check in the settings, power tab that the wake up button is not set to the power button only, if so then select front buttons. this will wake up the device by pressing any from buttons while in suspend mode.

there are some roms or apps that caused the device to enter suspend mode and couldnt wake up from that, they had to softreset or take out the battery, but these were quite some time ago and i believe that those issues have long been solved.

otherwise it could be some conflict in the registry security settings, like it happened with srs wow.

look for sector's thread abt srs wow hd and there is a cab file there called security aio (or something like that) there and try installing that if nothing else works to see if it resolves the issue...

if still it persists, i recommend try flashing another rom.

I tried a few (3 I think) of the 6.5 ROMs last night. Personally I found the Titanium ones easier than the WM7 style ROMS to get used to, but on all that I tried I had the same issue. I could only enter text via a qwerty keyboard. I could not select the Samsung Phonepad which I kinda rely on.

I tried installing some of the keyboard cabs linked on here but just couldn't get it to work. I've flashed back to the stock DXID1 ROM this morning and may dip my toe back into the WM6.5 pool later this week as my 1st impression wasn't that great. Is there a simple method to add apps to the home screen, or do those bars get added to the home screen when an app is installed to the device.

maybe u should try some other roms from different chefs. at first i was also not impressed by wm6.5, but after getting to know how to mod it to ur taste, it can be very eyecandy OS and quite fast as well.

unfortunately they are not always so stable for all apps. :)

Guest badtrip
Hi

I have no idea what you are describing. When i plug my charger in, i have no issues with screen freeze?

WTF?

Sorry, you didnt have to PM too :)

Well thats the thing..

When i'm charging the phone, if i let the LCD display turn off it never wakes up!

The led inside of the turn off button, goes red! Even soft reset doesnt work.

Just unplugging the battery works.

I'll ask the same Q to Ryzry because as i c there are a lot of plp in Turkey that are suffering with the same problem!

NOTE: Your V2.1 / V2.3 and Ryzry V3, 23071 have the same problem...

Right now i'm with ryzry's 23071..

Edited by badtrip

Guest badtrip
like adhip mentioned, check in the settings, power tab that the wake up button is not set to the power button only, if so then select front buttons. this will wake up the device by pressing any from buttons while in suspend mode.

there are some roms or apps that caused the device to enter suspend mode and couldnt wake up from that, they had to softreset or take out the battery, but these were quite some time ago and i believe that those issues have long been solved.

otherwise it could be some conflict in the registry security settings, like it happened with srs wow.

look for sector's thread abt srs wow hd and there is a cab file there called security aio (or something like that) there and try installing that if nothing else works to see if it resolves the issue...

if still it persists, i recommend try flashing another rom.

I've checked the setting you mentions and it seems the settings are right..

The wake up is set up as front button.

I2m kinda newbie here (you know) gotta search for sector's thread :)

Thank you.. BTW

@shokka9

But in one condition.

It works...

did you try HardReset your phone ? and what apps are you installing on it ? did you try on clean ROM ?

Guest badtrip
did you try HardReset your phone ? and what apps are you installing on it ? did you try on clean ROM ?

Of course i have tried hard-resetting my phone, especially your V3 :( and shokka9's V2.1..

But the problem still goes on, also in multiple ROMS...

I never did hard-reset your 23071..

I have lots of programs installed.. (shall i write them all :) )

I found sector's mentioned thread by @kav, about this security CAB, what does it work for?

Since my phone runs your ROM, do i need to install that cab, or could that damage my rom somehow?

Of course i have tried hard-resetting my phone, especially your V3 ;) and shokka9's V2.1..

But the problem still goes on, also in multiple ROMS...

I never did hard-reset your 23071..

I have lots of programs installed.. (shall i write them all ;) )

I found sector's mentioned thread by @kav, about this security CAB, what does it work for?

Since my phone runs your ROM, do i need to install that cab, or could that damage my rom somehow?

i think some of your programs made this problem... nobody tells me something like you :) that's why i think is a 3th party app that you have installed :(

Guest badtrip
install the cab and give it a try, u have nothing to lose anyway. it disables some security flags in the registry.

Yeah thats for sure :)

Gonna try it...

EDIT: Unfortunatly the cab didnt help..

Edited by badtrip

there are a lot of strange problems with the omnia. i have installed a chefs roms here and quite some apps dont work properly on my omnia while others installed the exact same rom and same apps but all those apps work perfectly.

i dont think that the devices are different in i900 category. people upgrading to the same roms as u and having the exact same apps installed as u have, might not have the exact issues u are getting.

simple example, i cant connect to internet except with IE(also has some issues) and skype. tried all the fixes but nothing. others can use opera beta and all.

another user here and i have ringing problems with the phone manager we use while others report that it works without problems. ??!?!??!?!?!

samsung really had to make it this complicated? seriously?

Right then, I now have Nicklashidegard Neo ROM installed and it seems pretty good. The only thing I would like to change is to make the Home Screen Left handed - ie have the scrolling icons on the right hand side of the screen so that my hand (left hand) doesn't cover the icons above and below the one currently selected as I'm scrolling.

Other than that I'm starting to get to grips with it. If someone can point me in the right direction so that I can get the Weather on the HomePage for my area then I think I'll have all I need. As the moment it doesn't recognise UK locations or postcodes that I enter.

Oh, I also can't find the normal app for viewing pictures and videos. Is it in the ROM or will I need to install it from a cab?

Edited by DavidC

Right then, I now have Nicklashidegard Neo ROM installed and it seems pretty good. The only thing I would like to change is to make the Home Screen Left handed - ie have the scrolling icons on the right hand side of the screen so that my hand (left hand) doesn't cover the icons above and below the one currently selected as I'm scrolling.

Other than that I'm starting to get to grips with it. If someone can point me in the right direction so that I can get the Weather on the HomePage for my area then I think I'll have all I need. As the moment it doesn't recognise UK locations or postcodes that I enter.

Oh, I also can't find the normal app for viewing pictures and videos. Is it in the ROM or will I need to install it from a cab?

videos, there is only wmedia player, otherwise install another 3rd party app.

pics - there is htc album installed. if u want better apps, u will have to install them urself.

Guest Nicklashidegard

Go to accuweather.com , choose world, type your city.. In the address line at the top, the end bit is your location code.. For example Chelmsford, UK, is

accuweather.com/world-index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&loccode=EUR|UK|UK141|Chelmsford

Where the red highlighted is the location code.. Copy and paste into your mobile (i use MyMobiler, google it) and bob's your uncle!! :)

Go to accuweather.com , choose world, type your city.. In the address line at the top, the end bit is your location code.. For example Chelmsford, UK, is

accuweather.com/world-index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&loccode=EUR|UK|UK141|Chelmsford

Where the red highlighted is the location code.. Copy and paste into your mobile (i use MyMobiler, google it) and bob's your uncle!! :(

Brilliant, thanks. All set up and working now :)

Guest skaynan

For each his own- that's true enough. Unlike the IPhone, symbian, and other phone OS, Windows mobile is all about configurability. That's why I like it. But the inherent problem with that philosophy is that there is never one single configuration that fits all. In searching for the right ROM (and UI) for you, you have to consider what you want the phone to do, and decide accordingly.

For example, I use my phone in a particular way- When I drive to work I listen to music, use GPS (I know the way to work, of course, but the GPS (Waze) is great to avoid traffic jams and police traps) and occasionaly answer and make phone calls. All that functionality has to be done simultaniously, of course. I also like M2D as my main interface.

Now, in this kind of setup, the most important factor for me is the internal workings of the build memory management, particularly the "auto close" bug. So when I come to pick my ROM, the most imprtant thing for me is that it won't suffer from this bug.

Now, obviously, other people using theyr phone in very differant ways, so it may be that for them, the auto close thing is not a factor at all, and they prefer, for example, a brilliantly beautiful user interface a-la Shokka9's.

So there's no single answer to "what's the best ROM" question. It's all about what suilts your needs the best. But one thing's for sure- any cooked ROM here in modaco is WAAAAAYYY better then anything released officialy by samsung, guaranteed.

Cheers.