09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm having trouble installing any apps with the T-Mobile 1.7b4. I keep on getting "installation unsuccessful". I had this on version 1.5 as well (didn't try 1.6 or any of the earlier 1.7 betas, and yes, I have installed the Dec update). Usually repairing the ext partition on the sdcard would fix this, but it doesn't seem to now.

Edit:

This seems to be solved (for now) by using an ext3 partition on the sdcard, rather than ext4.

Edited by jmmL

Guest rob_turner_uk
I'm having trouble installing any apps with the T-Mobile 1.7b4. I keep on getting "installation unsuccessful". I had this on version 1.5 as well (didn't try 1.6 or any of the earlier 1.7 betas, and yes, I have installed the Dec update). Usually repairing the ext partition on the sdcard would fix this, but it doesn't seem to now.

Edit:

This seems to be solved (for now) by using an ext3 partition on the sdcard, rather than ext4.

Same problem for me as well. For some reason I don't think my device is wiping when I go to system recovery. The reason I say this is after a wipe all my remembered wifi setting are still there.

Guest Dan Mullen
Changed display of SSH password so it is no longer sucked into the user agent

Paul, I've noticed this is also an issue in MCR on the Hero.

Same problem for me as well. For some reason I don't think my device is wiping when I go to system recovery. The reason I say this is after a wipe all my remembered wifi setting are still there.

Mine aren't remembered after a wipe with Amon 1.5.2. I chose all 3 wipe options - data, dalvik-cache and ext - just to be thorough.

I'm afraid I've got another bug here - the touchpal keyboard (again on the TMO version) freezes when you try to type any letter (strangely, if you use the touchpal numeric keyboard, it works). Not a huge issue for me personally as I now prefer the HTC keyboard. Could just be me being stupid :)

Speed seems pretty good, although I haven't done any objective tests. What areas would you expect to have benefited from the improvements? I'd say opening apps seems faster.

Guest rob_turner_uk
I'm afraid I've got another bug here - the touchpal keyboard (again on the TMO version) freezes when you try to type any letter (strangely, if you use the touchpal numeric keyboard, it works). Not a huge issue for me personally as I now prefer the HTC keyboard. Could just be me being stupid :)

Your not been stupid touch pro hangs for me. (unless we are both stupid?)

I still cannot understand why I'm not getting a complete wipe??

Sorry Paul, don't mean to gripe, but this is a beta so I figure I should report every bug/regression I come across!

Just noticed that the O2 network is showing up as "Telefonica O2 UK Limited". I'm pretty sure that on your previous ROMs you edited a RIL file to make it simply display "O2 UK", instead.

Edit: on the plus side, I've just noticed that my emails (from my gmail account) are now being automatically pushed to my phone, which they weren't before.

Edited by jmmL

Guest JingleManSweep

Paul,

Speed seems okay. My GMail app opens instantly (after first launch), that means literally less than 0.1 secs to depressing touchscreen icon to the full display of my inbox. A slight improvement when compared to your previous ROM releases, but loads faster than T-Mobile stock firmware.

Oh, I'm using Beta 3. Is the latest b4 version even faster?

Any ideas how to include Python? ASE (Android Scripting Environment) won't install on my Pulse using your custom ROMs.

Guest le_lutin
Sorry Paul, don't mean to gripe, but this is a beta so I figure I should report every bug/regression I come across!

Just noticed that the O2 network is showing up as "Telefonica O2 UK Limited". I'm pretty sure that on your previous ROMs you edited a RIL file to make it simply display "O2 UK", instead.

Edit: on the plus side, I've just noticed that my emails (from my gmail account) are now being automatically pushed to my phone, which they weren't before.

I've got the modaco vanilla cupcake ROM (the one that's stickied), and it appears as Telefonica O2 UK Limited on that ROM.

Guest Shuflie

I installed Beta 4 of the U8230 ROM (going from 1.2 U8230). On first boot GDE became very unresponsive with the cube animation very jerky and the programs menu sliding animation just as bad. Fixed that by killing the GDE task and restarting it again so I assume that the problem was caused by whatever the first run the odex optimisation was doing. I then tried to install an update from the market place and got a failed installation, decided to reboot since that normally fixes any installation errors I get but when the phone restarted the Java force closed on me. Also had problems the touchpal keyboard closing on me, not force closing, just disappearing when a key is pressed. I've rolled back to the nandroid backup of 1.2 until the next beta.

Hi Paul,

I noticed you disabled ls --color in busybox...so I used this one instead:

Busybox version 1.15.2 from cyanogenmod 4.2.7.1

he probably compiled with static links to uClibc cuz his is much smaller:

-rwsr-xr-x 1 0 0 1868288 Aug 1 2008 modaco-busybox

-rwsr-xr-x 1 0 0 690260 Dec 10 07:17 cyanogen-busybox

it's not much but it gives me 3.3mb free in /system instead of 2.2 =]

also, any chance to get command line history (using UP key) compiled in?

Thx,

Jan

Guest flash2004

Hi Paul,

I am currently using u2380 1.2 ROM. If I do a nandroid backup -> wipe -> install 1.7 u2380, is it possible to get back my SMS & other data ?

(contacts, calendar & mail is synced up but what about other data ?)

If my restore my nandroid backup I think I will go back to 1.2 ROM which I don't want.

Guest Daniel Williamson
Hi Paul,

I am currently using u2380 1.2 ROM. If I do a nandroid backup -> wipe -> install 1.7 u2380, is it possible to get back my SMS & other data ?

(contacts, calendar & mail is synced up but what about other data ?)

If my restore my nandroid backup I think I will go back to 1.2 ROM which I don't want.

I used a app from the market called my backup, really useful and easy to use, best of all you can choose specifically which files to restore. They have a free and paid version. The free version is the same but a 30 day trial.

Dan

Guest rob_turner_uk

Liking the 1.7 u2380 ROM. Much better than before. A bonus that it now has the touchpal keyboard

Edit: Cannot get the predictive text / dictionary to work on touchpal. When the dictionary is turned on the keyboard disappears when you press the first letter. Works fine without

Edited by rob_turner_uk

Guest flash2004
I used a app from the market called my backup, really useful and easy to use, best of all you can choose specifically which files to restore. They have a free and paid version. The free version is the same but a 30 day trial.

Dan

Will try it out..

Guest Dan Mullen
Shouldn't be on the Hero? :)

P

I'm almost certain I saw my SSH password displayed on the "About" screen of one of my apps - unless I was dreaming! If I can track it down, I'll let you know B)

Edit: just to clarify, I don't mean the "About phone" screen in settings - I know it's meant to be displayed there.

Edited by Dan Mullen

Guest JingleManSweep
I'm almost certain I saw my SSH password displayed on the "About" screen of one of my apps - unless I was dreaming! If I can track it down, I'll let you know :)

Edit: just to clarify, I don't mean the "About phone" screen in settings - I know it's meant to be displayed there.

Yes, I've seen the SSH password appear as the device's Bluetooth name.