09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Wavescure add on pack updated to 3.0.0.34, which fixed battery drain / partial wake issues!

Changelog: http://feedback.wavesecure.com/pages/3560-...roid-change-log

P

Thanks for the good work!

Still experiencing some problems regarding partitioning the sd card and installing apps though.

I have a 3GB Primary fat32 partition and a 1GB extended partition with a logical EXT2 volume on it. I think A2SD doesn't get it, since I keep getting error installing software (space).

Can someone give me some pointers to the partitioning?

I've tried to fix the ext2 partition in recovery mode, to no avail. Also tried to partition it in recovery mode, but it makes swap which makes the system failing to boot. The only way is to use the whole sd-card as fat32, but the apps are installed into the main memory, which I do not want.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Ow btw, this is a fresh install of the modaco-rom, no apps installed at the moment. Android n00b, but know my way around linux.

Why are you not creating 2 primary partitions?

P

Creating 2 primary partitions (3GB fat32/1GB ext2) makes the boot process of my pulse crash. It hangs when the circle is being made under the T-Mobile brand. The circle stops moving and nothing happens for minutes.

I've made the partitions with gparted in Ubuntu. Should I take another route? Should they be in a different order (first ext2, then fat32)?? I'm not sure what to do and would really like to install android apps.

Is there a way of opening up a terminal without having to install one and viewing some log files??

//edit: i've repartitioned the sd-card to 3,5GB fat32 and 512mb ext2, copied the modaco-rom onto the fat32 part, went into recovery, reinstalled the modaco-rom, rebooted, and now my pulse is making the T-Mobile circle for over 5 minutes. Remember, I have NO apps installed on the pulse. Then the pulse shuts down, not even responding to the "on" button anymore.

So battery in/out again, and it's trying to boot again. And it won't boot: gets into a loop when showing the t-mob logo: the circle hangs, then a black screen, t-mob logo, circle hangs, etc.

Without the sd-card in it, there are no troubles booting the pulse.

I think I have to revert to the stock rom :-(

///edit2: don't know what I've done correctly now, since I had tried repartitioning several sd-cards with both gparted in linux, and Acronis Disk Director in Windows 7, all of them failed.

Now all of a sudden, it works perfectly: I can boot the Pulse normally & apps install on the sd-card :-)

Me is a happy camper.

Edited by bas-r

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work ok: after a reboot (in 'system version' it told me MDC rom Reboot Required, which I did), my installed Google Maps is gone. Although going to 'market' it tells me it's installed, but I cannot run it.

Ok, I try a reinstall, and again, 'not enough space'.

So it seems that after a reboot my ext partition of my sd card gets wiped/doesn't get mounted.

Crap phone.

Btw, it still tells me Reboot Required. What's up with that?

/Edit: I've reverted back to the stock rom, and everything is fine. Stick with that for a while.

Edited by bas-r

bas-r, you probably wiped after installing the ROM - you need to install the ROM again from the update.zip after wiping, as some stuff is stored on the data partition, which the wipe obviously wipes! :)

P

Thanks!

So first a wipe, (of the ext2?) and then installation?

Without wiping I keep getting errors of com.adroid / keyboard.android crashing, and I'm now in a loop with the t-mob logo/home screen, and cannot get any further.. :-(

/edit: wiping the ext2 partinion before installation doesn't do the trick: i remain in a boot-loop. Without sd-card it works fine.

//EDIT2: ok, you need to wipe both ext2 partition and fat32 partition Before installing the rom. Obviously leave the rom on the fat32 partition.

Wow, that took an "hour and a half"!!!

Thanks Paul for the pointers!

Bas.

Edited by bas-r

Guest pandinusimp

Hello,

i got another problems.

Everytime i remove the SD card (savely / not savely) the Pulse crashes.

When i want to install apps from the market the installation failed.

Has anybody ideas?

Thanks

Pulse with MoDACo ROM 1.2

Hello,

i got another problems.

Has anybody ideas?

Thanks

I think its normal, that ur pulse crashes when removing sd card, since the apps are on the SD Card.

Try recovery mode "repair ext filesystem" when u r not able to install apps. Happens often to me!

Guest demusss
Hello,

i got another problems.

Has anybody ideas?

Thanks

The modaco rom has apps2sd which means you apps are running from the SD card. Removing it will confuse your pulse.

Shutdown your phone if you need to remove your sd card.

I think I found something that would maybe worth to put into next rom release: htc touch input keyboard.

http://www.allshadow.com/2009/08/12/how-to...yboard-android/

Tested on my pulse and works like a charm.

Yeah I put this on like right away when I got my pulse because both of the keyboards are quite bad.

Iam just waiting for 2.0 now, so I can type a bit fast due to the keyboard supporting Multi-Touch - more than one letter at a time :)

BTW I think the HTC keyboard is not open source :D hmmm.......................

Edited by phucte

Hello - I registered because I am looking to buy a Pulse. I currently have a HTC Touch (1st generation), on which I have a custom Win Mo 6.5 ROM (recent flash). It's still driving me crazy how slow it still is. I cannot imagine how slow the stock ROM must have been!

Anyway, I need an Android badly, and the T-Mobile Pulse is the exact right choice for me. Sadly however, they are not sold in Belgium - but I can get one for 250EUR in The Netherlands. They are however simlocked, but I purchased a SmartSim 2008 to avert that problem. Main objective is to get the most out the device (it already having a superb price/quality ratio!). I am certain that the MoDaCo ROM will even make it worth more.

Kind of new to the Android business, could you please explain following for me: The stock ROM is Android 1.5, and this is reportedly a customized/optimized version of this ROM. Does that mean that I will be using the 1.5 version? Wouldn't it be better to use 1.6 or even 2.0? If it is not yet possible to 'compile' android 2.0 for this phone, why is this? And when is it expected? These questions not meant in a rude way - I feel like I'm missing crucial.

Hello - I registered because I am looking to buy a Pulse. I currently have a HTC Touch (1st generation), on which I have a custom Win Mo 6.5 ROM (recent flash). It's still driving me crazy how slow it still is. I cannot imagine how slow the stock ROM must have been!

Anyway, I need an Android badly, and the T-Mobile Pulse is the exact right choice for me. Sadly however, they are not sold in Belgium - but I can get one for 250EUR in The Netherlands. They are however simlocked, but I purchased a SmartSim 2008 to avert that problem. Main objective is to get the most out the device (it already having a superb price/quality ratio!). I am certain that the MoDaCo ROM will even make it worth more.

Kind of new to the Android business, could you please explain following for me: The stock ROM is Android 1.5, and this is reportedly a customized/optimized version of this ROM. Does that mean that I will be using the 1.5 version? Wouldn't it be better to use 1.6 or even 2.0? If it is not yet possible to 'compile' android 2.0 for this phone, why is this? And when is it expected? These questions not meant in a rude way - I feel like I'm missing crucial.

Yeah this rom is still 1.5! There is no 1.6 or 2.0 for now! There r not much developer at the moment for the pulse ( i think cause its only avaible in a few countrys).

I hope this will change in future!

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hey your custom firmware worked great with my pulse was a bit worried when it took its time at the spinning pink circle under the tmobile logo but then it went off it a couple of minutes later, so far its much faster than the one official firmware

couple of questions

is there a way of changing the ui from the pulse ui to the htc hero one

question is there a way to unlock it to any network similar to the iphone when you jailbreak it

I know that you have answered this before but how close are you to releasing a 1.6 or 2.0 firmware, I have read a lot of good features that I would love to try out on my pulse

Is there a way of removing documents to go, roadsync, my phonebook app (dont use favorites) and either email or google mail as I will only be using one of them

Is flash available yet for the android os, I heard that htc have put it in their firmware so I when will it be available and will you be adding it to your custom firmware

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Hey your custom firmware worked great with my pulse was a bit worried when it took its time at the spinning pink circle under the tmobile logo but then it went off it a couple of minutes later, so far its much faster than the one official firmware

couple of questions

is there a way of changing the ui from the pulse ui to the htc hero one

question is there a way to unlock it to any network similar to the iphone when you jailbreak it

I know that you have answered this before but how close are you to releasing a 1.6 or 2.0 firmware, I have read a lot of good features that I would love to try out on my pulse

Is there a way of removing documents to go, roadsync, my phonebook app (dont use favorites) and either email or google mail as I will only be using one of them

Is flash available yet for the android os, I heard that htc have put it in their firmware so I when will it be available and will you be adding it to your custom firmware

Hi Ill try and cover as many of your questions as i can!

The Hero UI cannot be used it relies on an HTC framework which is closed source and cannot be ported out. Hopefully once a android 1.6/2.0 AOSP build is created a theme template can be made, then custom themes can be deveolped.

Unlocking, there is no soft unlock like Blackra1n etc for the Android OS, you can unlock in two different methods, one obtain a unlock code from either Tmobile or a 3rd party. Or you can use a Turbo SIM, which 'spoof's your phone in to thinking that its still on tmobile.

You can remove any applications that you do not want by using ADB, ive never done it myself so i cant detail it for you, but its quite straight forward from what ive heard.

Flash is not available for android yet, a beta is supposed to be coming next year. HTC's flash again is a plugin that is part of their framework and is dependant on their custom browser. I think that there might be some efforts on the XDA forums to port it out but its so rubbish that i think everyone has given up.

Hope thats of some help.

Guest Richard_Arkless
Hi Ill try and cover as many of your questions as i can!

The Hero UI cannot be used it relies on an HTC framework which is closed source and cannot be ported out. Hopefully once a android 1.6/2.0 AOSP build is created a theme template can be made, then custom themes can be deveolped.

Unlocking, there is no soft unlock like Blackra1n etc for the Android OS, you can unlock in two different methods, one obtain a unlock code from either Tmobile or a 3rd party. Or you can use a Turbo SIM, which 'spoof's your phone in to thinking that its still on tmobile.

You can remove any applications that you do not want by using ADB, ive never done it myself so i cant detail it for you, but its quite straight forward from what ive heard.

Flash is not available for android yet, a beta is supposed to be coming next year. HTC's flash again is a plugin that is part of their framework and is dependant on their custom browser. I think that there might be some efforts on the XDA forums to port it out but its so rubbish that i think everyone has given up.

Hope thats of some help.

Ok thanks for clearing up most of my questions

I'm very newbie in this field, but my own research led me to the same result - which luckily means that my understanding was right. Thanks for this confirmation.

Basically, you either buy an unlock code (ranging from 15-30EUR from what I've seen), which unlocks your phone permanently, but which is illegal.

In my opinion, a much better idea is to spoof the SIM by using a Turbo Sim, achieving the same without altering your phone. You can buy such a card (Smart Sim 2008) for 4USD on DealExtreme, on ebay it's usually a little pricier. I purchased one for about 8.5EUR, delivered to my home in Belgium. Not too bad.

Returning to the Android versions question I had. I understand now a little better how it works. Basically, there is Android 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0. The HTC Hero shipped with the 1.5 android, and Modaco was then made for this 1.5 version. Then HTC updated the firmware from 1.5 to 1.6, and Modaco was consequently updated as well.

My point being, that for the Pulse my understanding is now that FIRST T-Mobile will have to release the 1.6 update officially, before Modaco can release it. This might be absolutely obvious to many of you, but please note that for the novice like me this is a not so well known concept. But this also means that we have to wait for T-Mobile to give us the 2.0 update first... Who knows how long that will take?

Bottom line: is the lack of 1.6/2.0 android a serious enough issue to not buy a Pulse? I'd vote no, what's your opinion?

Guest Evil Kaz

Basically, you either buy an unlock code (ranging from 15-30EUR from what I've seen), which unlocks your phone permanently, but which is illegal.

In my opinion, a much better idea is to spoof the SIM by using a Turbo Sim, achieving the same without altering your phone. You can buy such a card (Smart Sim 2008) for 4USD on DealExtreme, on ebay it's usually a little pricier. I purchased one for about 8.5EUR, delivered to my home in Belgium. Not too bad.

I think the opposite is probably true, unlock codes are not illegal and they permanently unlock your phone one all networks. Whereas im a bit dubious about spoof sims cos they are lying to the phone making it think that its a t-mobile sim when its not. While this may not be illegal it certainly falls into a grey area, as far as your carrier is concerned.

I think the opposite is probably true, unlock codes are not illegal and they permanently unlock your phone one all networks. Whereas im a bit dubious about spoof sims cos they are lying to the phone making it think that its a t-mobile sim when its not. While this may not be illegal it certainly falls into a grey area, as far as your carrier is concerned.

As far as I understand, the unlock codes exist because you have the right to unlock your phone when your contract with the carrier ends. I'm pretty sure that it's not legal to buy and use an unlock code on a simlocked phone - wether it's under contract or not. Those supersims are probably just as illegal - but I wanted to point out that it might be smarter (not to mention cheaper) to spoof the SIM instead of unlocking it. Of course, just my 2c.

Even more reason to get like 1.6 or even 2.0 on this phone..

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/23/google-...to-android-1-6/

I think it's only for the US right now but i think it will come to the uk very soon or it might be already :)

I feel my pulse is missing out :D

My point being, that for the Pulse my understanding is now that FIRST T-Mobile will have to release the 1.6 update officially, before Modaco can release it. This might be absolutely obvious to many of you, but please note that for the novice like me this is a not so well known concept. But this also means that we have to wait for T-Mobile to give us the 2.0 update first... Who knows how long that will take?

Er people CAN port 2.0 without T-Mobile having to 1st they done it with the G1 and blah, it just takes double the effort but Am sure Paul and some other people can get it ported

I think the best thing to do right now is to ask if t mobile if the pulse is having a planned software update and to see if they will be needing to start from scratch :D

I am just really hoping the pulse can like get one update, because no devs = new phone :D poor pulse

Edited by phucte

Guest Richard_Arkless
I think the best thing to do right now is to ask if t mobile if the pulse is having a planned software update and to see if they will be needing to start from scratch :)

I did ring up tmobile UK on the 12th november with a problem where I forgot my pass swipe and got locked out and I sorta brought up the subject about the update to 1.6 or 2.0 and they said that they have no plans to currently release an update for the pulse :D , hopefully they change their mind

They even told me that they havent got the current firmware for the pulse, if that is true it shows how committed to provide support for the pulse, I had to replace it because I/they couldn't do anything

Edited by Richard_Arkless