09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - Stock T-Mobile Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest starkos
Yesterday I went from 1.6mcr-tmob to 1.7mcr-tmob (no wipe) and got the reboot message in place of the SSH password in the build number. After several reboots with no further success I followed advice in this thread to wipe and reapply 1.7. The SSH password then showed up as expected.

Before I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7, I made a backup of my apps using Astro. After reapplying 1.7 I restored all the apps from the Astro backup and they are all working fine.

Previously, I always used the "My downloads" section in the marketplace to see what updates are available for the apps I've installed. It's quite handy since it marks the program in yellow with an "Update available" message. Now that I've wiped the phone, the "My downloads" list is empty even though all my previous apps have been restored from the Astro backup. This means that I can not tell if there are updates available for each app unless I reinstall them all again through the marketplace, just to get them back on the "My downloads" list.

Is there a way of saving the "My downloads" list between wipes? Not wiping isn't always an option, as explained above where I did not get an SSH password from a simple upgrade (non-wipe).

Astro won't backup the relevant market data/links. Search the forums for Titanium Backup (available on Market), although it should come with the latest custom roms so you've probably got it already!

Astro won't backup the relevant market data/links. Search the forums for Titanium Backup (available on Market), although it should come with the latest custom roms so you've probably got it already!

I just gave this a shot, backed up a few apps, uninstalled them via marketplace and then restore. The marketplace links came back, thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steelgrey75

Firstly I would like to thank all who have have worked on the ROM files for the Pulse, fantastic work, turns a good phone into a great phone.

That said, I am having terrible problems installing apps to my phone now.

Its very temperamental, it will let me install to my hearts content after a fresh install, then after a while (and maybe a few reboots) I get the "this app could not be installed" warning. No matter what I do I cannot get around this problem.

I am forced to wipe the phone, repartition the SD card (which loses everything on it), then start again. I am finding the apps2sd to be badly flawed.

Today, not being able to install apps again, I followed the steps I outlined above, but I now cannot install apps at all to the phone no matter what I do. I also have constant android process crashes, in fact it got so bad that I had to reinstall the original ROM and then start all over again. Although even after rerooting, reinstalling the T Mobile style ROM, I still cannot install any apps.

Edited by steelgrey75

Guest steelgrey75

Well I can install apps again, but this is what usually happens. It allows me to install, then out of the blue it won't. When that happens I have to wipe. To be honest I've wiped that many times now its incredible.

I know that its probably the only way to solve the problem but man it is so irritating. I just wish that you could install apps to the SD card without the need for rooting or a custom ROM. I think Google have made a major error of judgment by locking it down this way. Probably not helped by the paltry amount of available RAM on the pulse onto which to install apps. I know its an entry level android phone, but what where Huawei thinking!?!?!?

Guest bandita81

First of all : Thank u Paul. Appreciate ur work with ROMs.

Secondly : never tought it could be this smooth :D

Technically :

Today i f*cked up my Pulse cuz didnt listen what kinda superboot need to be used. Than i can solve the problem following the threads here. Thx. Than decided to use the Stock T-Mobile Custom ROM from here (1.7 version) and nearly ran out of patience when its booted finally. first boot was looooong but than my Pulse finally statrted to work properly. I mean : im an iPhone user who wanna switch from iPhone (NOT cuz im against iPhone, but im screaming about Apple) and with this ROM my Pulse finally works fast/reliable enuff to put my iPhone down. Thx again mate.

I dont care with benchmarks and shits, so im not telling u numbers. The feeling is better, the OS works faster than the original (shipped) T-Mobile OS. Also with multitasking i have more programs running (around 5-6) than b4 (around 2-4) and have MORE free memory than b4.With original OS i had around 19-15 Mbyte free memory with 2-4 programs, now i have 25-30 Mbytes free with 5-6 programs running. I think its a real step forward.

So thanks a lot mate works perfectly, looks good, I love this ROM :D

P.S.: Updated to December update b4 flashed my phone. Worked perfectly, but BE CAREFUL and read more than 1 times the instructions or ull have a loooong 3-4 hours till figure out how to wipe / reconfiigure ur phone. Dont be an arsehole like i was lol.

Firstly I would like to thank all who have have worked on the ROM files for the Pulse, fantastic work, turns a good phone into a great phone.

Its very temperamental, it will let me install to my hearts content after a fresh install, then after a while (and maybe a few reboots) I get the "this app could not be installed" warning. No matter what I do I cannot get around this problem.

I am forced to wipe the phone, repartition the SD card (which loses everything on it), then start again. I am finding the apps2sd to be badly flawed.

Today, not being able to install apps again, I followed the steps I outlined above, but I now cannot install apps at all to the phone no matter what I do. I also have constant android process crashes, in fact it got so bad that I had to reinstall the original ROM and then start all over again. Although even after rerooting, reinstalling the T Mobile style ROM, I still cannot install any apps.

Have a read of this thread, and the other ROM threads, it's a really common problem, and the solution's not quite as drastic as wiping.

I think Apps2SD is mostly flawed because you are able to eject the SD card, if you couldn't it could be loads more robust.

Guest robot1000

Go into 'Superboot' - then 'Recovery Mode' - (after reboot) scroll down to 'Other' - then click 'Fix apk uid mismatches'.

This seems to be the only way to resolve the problem temporarily.

I've added a shortcut to Recovery to my homescreen, as I've installed alot of apps and therefore I'm constantly having to fix the apk's

Guest steelgrey75
Go into 'Superboot' - then 'Recovery Mode' - (after reboot) scroll down to 'Other' - then click 'Fix apk uid mismatches'.

This seems to be the only way to resolve the problem temporarily.

I've added a shortcut to Recovery to my homescreen, as I've installed alot of apps and therefore I'm constantly having to fix the apk's

ok thanks for your advice, pain in the ass having to keep doing that. for me its the only drawback with the phone. other than this issue its great

Guest HunteronX
ok thanks for your advice, pain in the ass having to keep doing that. for me its the only drawback with the phone. other than this issue its great

Oh, its not a problem of the phone, but rather a problem with Apps2SD and ext partitions. If you didn't use Apps2SD then this wouldn't happen.

Also, when Paul's MCR 1.8 is released, e2fsck at boot will correct some of these problems, maybe all of them, I think. (This is already in the beta.)

Once again though, I hope what I've said is right, and not a load of rubbish. :D

Edited by HunteronX

Guest steelgrey75

Go into ' Superboot' - then' Recovery Mode' - (after reboot scroll down to ' Other' - then click' Fix apk uid mismatches

i have now done this 3 times but still i cannot install any apps on my phone. seriously considering putting the original rom back onto the phone now, without apps its just a mobile phone and loses all of its appeal.

hell of a shame this is happening, but i am losing patience with it now

Guest robot1000
Go into ' Superboot' - then' Recovery Mode' - (after reboot scroll down to ' Other' - then click' Fix apk uid mismatches

i have now done this 3 times but still i cannot install any apps on my phone. seriously considering putting the original rom back onto the phone now, without apps its just a mobile phone and loses all of its appeal.

Could it be that you've run out of space on the SD ext?

Guest starkos

In recovery menu go to the partition sd card menu and execute Repair ext:SD. You will need to do that every time you reboot the phone.

Guest steelgrey75
In recovery menu go to the partition sd card menu and execute Repair ext:SD. You will need to do that every time you reboot the phone.

Thats it, thats cracked it, thank you very very much, it all works perfectly now if I follow those steps.

Guest steelgrey75

Oh, just want to thank everybody who replied to my post, thanks for being so helpful, without your assistance I would have given up to be honest :D :D :lol:

Guest steelgrey75

Well now I am getting random program closures on startup and also programs will not run they crash the minute I open them, yet I know they work as I have used them many times in the past. I've reinstalled the original ROM and it all works as it should now so there are some serious issues with this ROM at the moment in my opinion.

Well now I am getting random program closures on startup and also programs will not run they crash the minute I open them, yet I know they work as I have used them many times in the past. I've reinstalled the original ROM and it all works as it should now so there are some serious issues with this ROM at the moment in my opinion.

Are you still using apps2SD? It is fundamentally flawed.

Guest steelgrey75
Are you still using apps2SD? It is fundamentally flawed.

No I gave up on that a while back, I never managed to get it to work at all, it wouldnt even partition my sd card so I got rid of it.

I've been using this rom since and I've had some problems with installing apps, they were sorted out with the help of some members on here, for which I am grateful.

The problem I have been getting of recent is, when I boot the phone up I am presented with a series of program crashes, alram clock, battery graph, touchpal, power manager, android system, and a few others too. Then I find none of my apps will run, they just crash as soon as I start them. Yet I know they work as I have reinstalled the original rom and they work perfectly.

Edited by steelgrey75

Hy...

Sorry i dont understand how can i install programs to SD card ony my Pulse...

Can anyone help me?

THX

if you created an ext partition on your SD card, and are using a modaco custom rom, apps will automatically go to your sd card.

if you created an ext partition on your SD card, and are using a modaco custom rom, apps will automatically go to your sd card.

i created 3 partition

128mb swap

512mb ext2

~7000mb fat32

phone only use the 512 mb ext2 partition

i have Paul"s 1.7 rom

i dont understand why...

here is my mount table and output of "fdisk -l"

# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

tmpfs on /sqlite_stmt_journals type tmpfs (rw,size=4096k)

/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)

/dev/block/mtdblock2 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data/dalvik-cache type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue)

# fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7969 MB, 7969177600 bytes

4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 243200 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 1 223655 7156926 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 223655 239289 500269+ 83 Linux

Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary

/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 239289 243200 125173 82 Linux swap

Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary

Guest starkos
i created 3 partition

128mb swap

512mb ext2

~7000mb fat32

i have Paul"s 1.7 rom

i dont understand why...

You shouldn't have created a swap partition mate, just set it to 0 if using Recovery Menu to partition ur sdcard

i created 3 partition

128mb swap

512mb ext2

~7000mb fat32

i have Paul"s 1.7 rom

i dont understand why...

You need to not have a swap partition, none of the ROMs support it.

• 2 weeks later...