23/10 1.2 - MCK - Playing with custom kernels (for the brave!)

Guest PaulOBrien

As you may know, HTC have just released the kernel source code, and i've been having a play.

Nothing massively exciting yet, but if you want your kernel to feature...

- Additional filesystems (EXT4, NFS, CramFS, SquashFS 4.0)

- Freshly compiled tun.ko module

- CompCache 0.5.4 support

- DroidWall support

...then you can install this package over the top of the latest MCR.

This is pretty much untested at the moment, so Nandroid backup first (of course), and i'm taking requests for future improvements. This is seperate from the main MCR thread for now simply because of it's untested nature!

I'd like to add...

- Port to 2.6.29 kernel

...but as I say this is just an early first-stab at a custom kernel. I thought i'd put it out there as I know many people like to run EXT4 on their A2SD partitions.

Download: http://content.modaco.net/hero/1.2-update-...-mck-signed.zip

Source Download (1.0 - to be updated): http://content.modaco.net/hero/1.0-update-...0-source.tar.gz

Enjoy! :)

P

Guest jnwhiteh

My first impression: it's a bit slower starting up but once everything gets loaded it goes back to being smooth as silk. Looking forward to any of the other enhancements you intend to make. Do you plan to toss your modifications (and build system?) up somewhere public? I'd love to help, I'm just not terribly experienced at the moment .

Guest munkimatt
Possibly, i'm not that au fait with how compcache works...

P

Right, I'm off to Tesco, if no one has done it by the time I'm back I'll give it a go.

Sweet, looking forward to what you can do with this baby! :)

Keep up the good work Paul. It is very appreciated!

Only thing I can think of as of now is that the Power Control Widget included in CyanogenMOD is pretty sweet. Perhaps something to add?

Hey Paul,

Is this compatible with 32B Sapphire devices? I was a really big fan of the Hero to Sapphire port Custom MoDaCo ROM which is unfortunately no longer being supported. I know that in the op of that thread (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-sapphire-sapphire-modaco-com/292559/13-09-2-2-modaco-custom-rom-hero-to-sapphire-port-optional-4-1-11-1/) you said that you wanted to "package my ROMs for all three devices", I'm not sure if that means that your Hero builds are now compatible with all three, or if you are no longer working on the Dream and Sapphire at all. I'm really jonesing for some updated MoDaCo goodness on my myTouch!

I'm not currently working on Sapphire / Dream ports i'm afraid...

P

Man that sux, to this day the best Sapphire stuff is based off of your work. Oh well, myself and many others miss you, but we're still grateful for you contribution. Thanks bro.

Guest Rubber Ducky

Is it possible to compile this kernel in Windows??? (Currently no linux installed)

I want to play with kernel. :)

Edited by Rubber Ducky

Is it possible to compile this kernel in Windows??? (Currently no linux installed)

I want to play with kernel. :)

idk if it is possible at all, but if it is then it is probably a bigger hassle than throwing an ubuntu on your hard disk... check out WUBI, it is on the ubuntu live cd, and installs ubuntu kinda as application into your windows partition. if you want to get rid of it you can just uninstall it from within windows and it's gone...

Edited by kendon

Guest stripealipe

Heya Paul,

I know you're just starting out on compiling the new kernels that have been released, so by all means keep this thread going as an ongoing DEV testbed and post whatever needs testing. I'll be glad to help out, flash and report back with any bugs or problems to help you along.

Just let us know the best way of reporting back to you.

Cheers and nice 1 for all your efforts!

Guest packetlss
- Required iptables functionality for DroidWall (i'll investigate)

Getting Droidwall up and running is a piece of cake, just enable the owner match support for iptables. I got it running on my Hero at the moment working fine.

Socket owner matching allows you to match locally-generated packets based on who created the socket: the user or group. It is also possible to check whether a socket actually exists.

Guest Rubber Ducky
idk if it is possible at all, but if it is then it is probably a bigger hassle than throwing an ubuntu on your hard disk... check out WUBI, it is on the ubuntu live cd, and installs ubuntu kinda as application into your windows partition. if you want to get rid of it you can just uninstall it from within windows and it's gone...

Yeah, I know WUBI. But it's slow in my opinion. Oh well, guess I will be installing Ubuntu soon.

EDIT: Installed the MCK but it is not booting anymore. It's stuck in T-Mobile G2 bootscreen. I have a custom rom. Help please.

Edited by Rubber Ducky