Is it my Memory Card that is making video playback rubbish?

I've written about having video playback problems on Hero and I'm wondering if it's my memory card that's causing problems.

I *cough* acquire tv shows from the internet from time to time and would like to watch them on my Hero on the train to work, etc. but haven't been able to find a consistent thing to search for. When I've tried to convert DVD's etc I haven't been able to get it right either.

More often than not video and audio sync is out and it doesn't seem to be related to bitrate of file. I've had stuff playback without issue at over 500k/sec and other stuff be totally rubbish at 300. I've tried various programs and each time the files playback fine on my pc. I have tried settings for PSP and iphone and files encoded elsewhere purported to be suitable for those devices.

Any ideas? I don't want to buy another memory card on the off chance.

For the record, it's a class 6 Transcend 8gig card that I have.

Edited by Guest

Guest Remington Steale
I've written about having video playback problems on Hero and I'm wondering if it's my memory card that's causing problems.

I *cough* acquire tv shows from the internet from time to time and would like to watch them on my Hero on the train to work, etc. but haven't been able to find a consistent thing to search for. When I've tried to convert DVD's etc I haven't been able to get it right either.

More often than not video and audio sync is out and it doesn't seem to be related to bitrate of file. I've had stuff playback without issue at over 500k/sec and other stuff be totally rubbish at 300. I've tried various programs and each time the files playback fine on my pc. I have tried settings for PSP and iphone and files encoded elsewhere purported to be suitable for those devices.

Any ideas? I don't want to buy another memory card on the off chance.

For the record, it's a class 6 Transcend 8gig card that I have.

I've found that these settings work pretty well:

container = .MP4

encoder = H.264

Frame rate = 23.976

Resolution = 320 x 480

Video bitrate = 768 kbps

audio encoder = AAC

Audio bitrate = 96kbps

I've found that these settings work pretty well:

container = .MP4

encoder = H.264

Frame rate = 23.976

Resolution = 320 x 480

Video bitrate = 768 kbps

audio encoder = AAC

Audio bitrate = 96kbps

Cheers dude, I'll give that a go. What are you encoding in?

as i just wrote on xda-devs: i am using AVIDEMUX on ubuntu linux, which works pretty fine and is basically as easy as can be:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

the following is written for the linux version, but should be identical on other systems:

start the program, open the video file via "open" dialog.

answer yes to all questions (rebuild bitmap or whatever, no idea what that means exactly).

when it is done, select "auto" from menu, then "ipod (mpeg4)", in the following dialog select "PSP (480*272)" and click ok. that's it, click on save and watch it work!

i am not sure whether the resulting video is played 100% lag-free for all the pro-gamers, which claim to see glitches that aren't even measurable in a non-vacuum atmosphere :) but for me it's good enough for a 6 hour car drive to watch some movies...

btw, i play it with meridian player from the market.

maybe you give as a sample of your recoded videos, so we can compare?

as i just wrote on xda-devs: i am using AVIDEMUX on ubuntu linux, which works pretty fine and is basically as easy as can be:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

the following is written for the linux version, but should be identical on other systems:

start the program, open the video file via "open" dialog.

answer yes to all questions (rebuild bitmap or whatever, no idea what that means exactly).

when it is done, select "auto" from menu, then "ipod (mpeg4)", in the following dialog select "PSP (480*272)" and click ok. that's it, click on save and watch it work!

i am not sure whether the resulting video is played 100% lag-free for all the pro-gamers, which claim to see glitches that aren't even measurable in a non-vacuum atmosphere :) but for me it's good enough for a 6 hour car drive to watch some movies...

btw, i play it with meridian player from the market.

maybe you give as a sample of your recoded videos, so we can compare?

Thanks for that post, I'll have a go, if problems persist, I'll give a clip for perusal.

BTW, all the Android video players are actually just interfaces for the native player, apparently, I contacted a developer of one and that's what he said. It's apparently why we won't be getting support for other codecs. As such I'll recommend the Act 1 Video Player because it has the best interface I've used on Android, hands down. What's more it's cheap and if you've got a feature suggestion the developer gets it coded in near immediately if he thinks it's worth having.

Edited by Guest

Guest Remington Steale
Cheers dude, I'll give that a go. What are you encoding in?

I Use the iPod version of mediacoder, its free and very reliable

Edited by Remington Steale