Pulse Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

We really need the Pulse Kernel source (which Hauwei are obliged to release under the terms of the GPL) in order to enable things like swap (since the Pulse is a bit short in the RAM department)!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where Huawei are likely to post this, or who to contact to push the issue?

Cheers!

P

Update: GPL violation! details

Guest Pulseowner
We really need the Pulse Kernel source (which Hauwei are obliged to release under the terms of the GPL) in order to enable things like swap (since the Pulse is a bit short in the RAM department)!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where Huawei are likely to post this, or who to contact to push the issue?

Cheers!

P

Does this link help?

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/down...=doListSoftware#

Hi,

After some heavy googling I found this document at the following url:

http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?...p;orderStr=null

Which seems to be what we need: instructions to get the kernel source! :)

Nice. Charging €20 is a bit cheeky though! Still I guess only one person has to do it once. If no-one else wants to I'm willing to pay them and put it up on a website.

I mailed the address in the written GPL offer with the following request...

Hi!

Please could you e-mail me the U8220 Kernel source under the terms of the GPL.

Thanks,

P

and got this reply...

Dear sir/madam:

We are very sorry to tell you that this is part of confidential information which we can not offer to you. Thanks for your attention to our product!

Oh dear!

P

Guest McSpoon

That sucks! :D

Unfortunately Huawei have a history of violating the GPL license. I wonder how Google feels about them using the 'Google Experience' branding whilst violating the spirit of GPL and Android.

I was going to buy one but I'm reconsidering it now.

Guest martinbrook

IANAL but T-Mobile have included the offer document on their branded CD which comes with the phone.

Are they then liable to comply with the terms of the GPL?

That sucks! :D

Unfortunately Huawei have a history of violating the GPL license. I wonder how Google feels about them using the 'Google Experience' branding whilst violating the spirit of GPL and Android.

I was going to buy one but I'm reconsidering it now.

Does this mean no custom roms for the pulse like 1.6 and 2.0 ports :P

btw the pulse is not a Google Experience phone

O yeah I think they want you to pay for the GPL Code because this offer was on the Cd rom in the box:

GPL WRITTEN OFFER

This product includes free software , Linux kernel, which are released under the GNU General Public License (Version2) that can be found under http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Linux kernel: Copyright ©The Kernel.Org Organization,Inc. (http://www.kernel.org)

WRITTEN OFFER

If you would like a copy of the GPL source code contained in this product shipped on a CD, for a charge of €20 which is no more than the cost of preparing and mailing the CD to you, please contact [email protected].

If you payed them some money I think they will be more likely to help right? :D

Edited by phucte

I've just sent them an email, explaining them why they are obliged to open the kernel source of their phone, and friendly demanding them to supply me with a link to the source code.

No way we're paying 20 euro's for the code. It's f*ing free/libre software, not only free as in speech, but as well free as in beer.

Edited by bas-r

Guest eugene373

Cheers!

P

Update: GPL violation! details

I have Swap & Root enabled in a version I did, your more than welcome to use it for testing.

[link removed]

I would pay if need be, I contacted the address in the GPL offer and that was the response.

I also forwarded their reponse to gpl-violations.org.

Finally, I replied to the message above explaining exactly what their obligations are.

P

Guest eugene373
eugene373, please keep your posts on topic rather than spamming with a link to your ROM which is NOT even for a Pulse.

P

Um? Spamming NO. I was trying to Help. I have the Dump if that is needed as well.

Edit*

Sorry, I wasn't on the same Topic I thought I was.

Please Forgive me, or just remove these unrelated Posts.

Sorry,

Eugene

Edited by eugene373

Dump? This is the PULSE FORUM, we don't need a dump of our devices do we! And of course you've got swap working, you're using a G1 / Dream kernel and not a Pulse kernel! And not on a Pulse!

P

Guest eugene373

I'm sorry Paul,

I just Noticed this is for the Pulse it's self. Shamefully sorry.

If there is any help you would need, I'll do my best to help.

You was right to remove the Link, it don't have anything related with this forum, and is likely better off removed before some unlikely person not knowing any better tries to use it.

I'll edit my above Post, this was 100% my stupidity for not Reading the Forum Title.

Sorry again,,

Eugene373

Paul,

It's Huawei, right?

They're Chinese, and as far as I remember they've lost couple of lawsuits against cisco and juniper networks.

Guess what happened?

Of course regarding to GPL source code should be available, but... The only chance if probably through T-Mobile, not directly from Huawei.

Edited by Akirah

This may not be the best suggestion that ive had, but if no one gets a decent response from them why dont we all chip in and buy the cd! - Just a thought.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the problem was that Huawei refuses to provide the source when contacted (pay or no pay) which is strange since they provide a document on how to obtain the source. A number of people already mentioned that the are willing to pay (if there is no other way).

The money is no problem. Only one of us has to pay it once, and I'm not that skint! The problem is they won't actually make good on their written offer.

A guy from T-Mobile called me but sadly he was one of the lowly low folks rather than someone who actually might know anything. I got the impression there is an impenetrable barrier between people you can contact, and people who actually run things.

I'm going to basically spam them until I get someone who knows what they're talking about. I hate impossible-to-contact companies.