Pulse Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest martinbrook

Hi Tim,

[email protected] - PR Manager

[email protected] - Head of handset and device marketing, quoted in the press at the launch of the Pulse

They are good guys who have helped me out in the past.

I have already asked another contact in the press office but I suppose the more voices we have the better.

MArtin

The money is no problem. Only one of us has to pay it once, and I'm not that skint! The problem is they won't actually make good on their written offer.

A guy from T-Mobile called me but sadly he was one of the lowly low folks rather than someone who actually might know anything. I got the impression there is an impenetrable barrier between people you can contact, and people who actually run things.

I'm going to basically spam them until I get someone who knows what they're talking about. I hate impossible-to-contact companies.

Martin: Excellent! How on earth did you get those contacts? Anyway, I assume that you haven't emailed them. I sent them this message with a link to this thread:

Hi,

I was given your email addresses by someone on the modaco forums, I hope you haven't been inundated with emails about this - my apologies if that is the case. I'm sure you appreciate how frustrating it can be attempting to contact anyone other than front-line customer service reps in companies like T-Mobile and Huawei.

I recently bought a T-Mobile Pulse (Huawei 8220), which comes with a written offer from Huawei for a copy of the linux kernel source code used on the phone. This is required in order to build custom software for the Pulse. Huawei and T-Mobile are obliged by the licence used by Linux (the GPL) to provide a copy.

Unfortunately the only contact details they give for obtaining the code is the email address [email protected]. Needless to say, attempts to actually contact the people who wrote this offer through that email address have been fruitless. Therefore I thought I would try contacting you, since you probably have higher up contacts in Huawei who may be able to provide the code. Additionally I believe that since T-Mobile is distributing the phones, they must also provide the source code to avoid breaking the law so you can't just pass the buck!

Yours hopefully,

Tim Hutt

I had been waiting for this phone since its launch on 3rd September and was frustrated by its availability on contract despite being promoted as the first Andriod PAYG phone. The contact for Emma came up in one of the press releases then both her and Nicola were copied in on a message from Davinda in the press office.

T-Mobile should be on the ball with this subject as they have had the G1 and G2 for sometime now.

Lets hope.

MArtin

Martin: Excellent! How on earth did you get those contacts? Anyway, I assume that you haven't emailed them. I sent them this message with a link to this thread:

Hi,

I was given your email addresses by someone on the modaco forums, I hope you haven't been inundated with emails about this - my apologies if that is the case. I'm sure you appreciate how frustrating it can be attempting to contact anyone other than front-line customer service reps in companies like T-Mobile and Huawei.

I recently bought a T-Mobile Pulse (Huawei 8220), which comes with a written offer from Huawei for a copy of the linux kernel source code used on the phone. This is required in order to build custom software for the Pulse. Huawei and T-Mobile are obliged by the licence used by Linux (the GPL) to provide a copy.

Unfortunately the only contact details they give for obtaining the code is the email address [email protected]. Needless to say, attempts to actually contact the people who wrote this offer through that email address have been fruitless. Therefore I thought I would try contacting you, since you probably have higher up contacts in Huawei who may be able to provide the code. Additionally I believe that since T-Mobile is distributing the phones, they must also provide the source code to avoid breaking the law so you can't just pass the buck!

Yours hopefully,

Tim Hutt

Guys,

I just received a reply from Huawei:

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your attention to our product! Please check the support website of your network provider (refer to brand logo) or contact the customer service of the network provider.because most of it is customized by the local operater.thanks

Maybe in a rush because of our spamming?

Anyway, I think the route of going to T-Mobile is best, since they can pressure Huawei. Better than us anyway.

Looking forward to the source!

Edited by bas-r

Excellent, just received:

Dear Tim,

We are in the process of investigating your feedback and have contacted Huawei on your behalf. They are currently reviewing this and once I have a complete response I will get back to you.

Many Thanks,

Nicola

Guest McSpoon
Just seen this update from Huawei posted yesterday, it has a new email address to request the source. May be a coincidence but looks like we may be making progress. http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?...&orderStr=9

Interesting.... although that GPL offer is referring to their 'EchoLife' wireless router products. I bet they will fail to uphold that promise too.

I really hope T-Mobile can sort this out, and get the code released soon.

Guest JingleManSweep

Agreed. They need to sort this out, as I've just "rooted" my Pulse, and installed the new recovery image. Can't wait for new firmware etc.

I'm happy to put up the money for the source code on CD, and then I'll publish it online for free. I'll keep watching this forum for any news.

Louis

Guest martinbrook
Interesting.... although that GPL offer is referring to their 'EchoLife' wireless router products. I bet they will fail to uphold that promise too.

I really hope T-Mobile can sort this out, and get the code released soon.

I've just received an undeliverable message from this email address :D

Emailed T-mobile just there. Email pasted below for the record.

>>>Begin Email Sent To T-Mobile<<<

For attention of T-Mobile UK Legal Team.

RE: GPL-licenced code on T-Mobile Pulse

Dear Sirs,

With regards to the legal obligations of T-Mobile to provide the source code to any GPL-licensed software included in the publicly-available device (namely the Linux Kernel source code of the T-Mobile Pulse mobile telephone, also known as the Huawei U8220), I wish to exercise my rights under Section 3b of the Gnu Public Licence (Version 2) as enclosed with the product, and request the source code for the Linux kernel used on the device.

I am aware that this product is supplied and manufactured by Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd, but to quote another user's reply to their written offer (text of the written offer available at "http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=329348&tstart=0&orderStr=null" dated 28th September 2009)

"Dear sir/madam:

We are very sorry to tell you that this is part of confidential information which we can not offer to you. Thanks for your attention to our product!"

This is not a satisfactory response to your supplier's obligation to

"Accompany it [the GPL licenced binaries] with a written offer, valid for at least three

years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your

cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete

machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be

distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium

customarily used for software interchange...

(Quote from GNU Public Licence Version 2.0 available "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt")

I would greatly appreciate your co-operation in resolving this matter, as T-Mobile are equally obliged to comply with this request for source code, since T-Mobile is acting as a distributor of the Program [Linux Kernel], and is therefore required to abide by the above quoted licence terms. (Section 3 of the GNU Public Licence Version 2.0)

Yours Faithfully,

My Name

>>>End Email Sent To T-Mobile<<<

Hope if enough people hassle TM, then we might get some movement on this matter.

Well I tried it on my own and got the following responses:

T-Mobile Business Customer Support:

"The T-Mobile Pulse is equipped with the Open Source OS "Android".

For further info regarding the OS and the Software Development Kit (SDK) have a look at: http://source.android.com/

T-Mobile Customer Support:

"sadly we can`t give you source codes.

With kind regards"

[email protected]:

"Dear Customer:

Thanks for your attention to our product!The zone of the after service is different from each country.Please let us know which country you are in now , your geographical region, and provide your directly contacting phone number .so we could contact you for handling your problem. thanks"

Mhhh ... i hope we can get the Linux Kernel soon ...

Edited by -Yaya-

Good news guys! Just received this email from Huawei:

Dear Customer:

Sorry for the wrong response and the inconvenience it brought to you .we have submited your requirement to local related staff for further disposal.and urge them to handle it with efforts.

In my book, that means that the're working on it.

Begin reply from T-Mobile

>>>>>

Good morning Mr XXXXX

Thank you for your email regarding our obligations to provide the Linux Kernel source code for your Huawei U8220 telephone.

I am delighted to tell you that you can download the source code to the Linux Kernel by clicking on the following link:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/co...b51117190bac1e5

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us about this Mr Paul. I trust the above will be of use to you.

Kind regards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Complaints Investigation

T-Mobile

<<<<

Have looked at this page and it seems to be the generic kernel for linux, but on the android site, with the generic android mods.

If anyone wants to try the link, please let us know if it is any use.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if it was correct or not, and if the Pulse mods were present (although I very much doubt it)

Pulser

Begin reply from T-Mobile

>>>>>

Good morning Mr XXXXX

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us about this Mr Paul.

<<<<

Mr XXXX, :-P. Anyway yeah that has been there forever. Can anyone with low-level knowledge confirm that we do actually need the kernel source that they used to build the kernel in the Pulse? I assume we just need it for the drivers (wifi, touchscreen etc.) Might they not have used the above linked generic kernel and implemented the drivers in binary blob kernel modules?

Yeah. I personally don't know why we need this kernel, but joined in, in the hope that we can get it for the good of the community.

Especially if Huawei are about to make more Android handsets - we need to get a precedent going for the source to be released, a bit like HTC releasing the Hero source - they will likely release it for future handsets as well.

Just received this msg,

Looks like Huawei wants to supply us their kernel after all :-)

Dear bas-r,

We refer to your email of October 28, 2009 to our email address [email protected] and the reply from our terminal customer service center.

We herein sincerely apologize for that reply not positively answering your question. The employee who replied to your email is not well trained in respect of free software knowledge, and she failed to timely forward your email to the appropriate person in our company.

We always highly respect intellectual property right, including free software copyright,and this can be partially demonstrated from the existence of GPL Written Offer in T-Mobile Pulse (Huawei 8220).

We shall provide you the Linux kernel source of T-Mobile Pulse (Huawei 8220) via Email or CD very soon.

Best regards,

Fan Yongsheng

Product Manager for smart phone of Huawei Technology Co., Ltd

Just received this msg,

Looks like Huawei wants to supply us their kernel after all :-)

Nice one! Good job there fella! Nice to see that it was just a mix up, understandable really doubt that they have people contacting them for kernel source on a daily basis! :D