Quick question about backing up

Guest jdloaner

Guest jdloaner

Basic question but I can't really seem to figure it out. If I want to re-flash with the same ROM, or maybe one that is very close and I don't want to have to go back through and move all my Program Icons to the locations where I like them, or re-map the hard-buttons to the Apps I want them at, etc, what files/folder do I need to back up?

Also, another quickie. So every time I flash I go back through and install Opera, and Google Mobile App, and Visual VM, etc. Since I install all these to My Storage, which I typically do not format after each flash, how can I enable these back into the Programs list or get the phone to understand they are installed without actually having to re-install? This possible? Is it app-specific?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest nmayer79
Basic question but I can't really seem to figure it out. If I want to re-flash with the same ROM, or maybe one that is very close and I don't want to have to go back through and move all my Program Icons to the locations where I like them, or re-map the hard-buttons to the Apps I want them at, etc, what files/folder do I need to back up?

Also, another quickie. So every time I flash I go back through and install Opera, and Google Mobile App, and Visual VM, etc. Since I install all these to My Storage, which I typically do not format after each flash, how can I enable these back into the Programs list or get the phone to understand they are installed without actually having to re-install? This possible? Is it app-specific?

Thanks.

Had the same kind of concerns when i flash, only way i see is to back up programs then reinstall them to my storage then pull files back over, at best it will save your settings only, its a pain but thats the price of flashing.

Guest dmcnado

You could use a backup program, such as Spb Backup, to do a full backup. After you reflash the rom, restore the backup. It will restore everything except your email.

Guest lioryte
You could use a backup program, such as Spb Backup, to do a full backup. After you reflash the rom, restore the backup. It will restore everything except your email.

Using such backup apps while jumping from one ROM to another might/will cause issues. It's not the best way to go and not favored by any of the Chefs.

Right now the best 2 options are XDA_UC which is an app that is cooked in many ROMs, this one starts Auto on every flash beginning and will rebuild your settings the way you designed it to do. It has a learning curve and you need to have a storage card in order to use it. 2nd option is Sashimi, this one also has a learning curve but installes to my storage and will back up your settings as well- Sashimi you will need to start manually.

The difference between apps like SPB/Resco backup and those 2 apps is that they won't just copy an old ROM system/registry files to the new one but will only install what has been determined by the user (You also choose where to install it). So for an example if you are using titanium you can have the entire reg. setting of CHome copied to the REG folder of those programs and the next time XDA_UC/Sashimi run they will restore that reg only Vs. the entire registry of an older version (SPB/Resco, etc).

Both have a learning curve, but if you are flashing than it is strongly suggested you learn how to use them it will save you time and will make the entire process of flashing more friendly

XDA_UC

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=562568

In Roms by BW, Evidence, Bgill's, Waremike32 and more.

Sashimi

http://www.winmo-experts.com/index.php?sid...f0cabbf4b2ffb35

You choose where and when

My hands just fell off (^_~)

Guest dmcnado
Using such backup apps while jumping from one ROM to another might/will cause issues. It's not the best way to go and not favored by any of the Chefs.

Yup, I use these methods also, but the original poster of the question is reflashing to the SAME rom. So using the backup programs will not be a problem. It is the same rom that is in the backup.

Good summary, though, of XDA_UC and Sashimi!

Edited by dmcnado

Guest lioryte
Basic question but I can't really seem to figure it out. If I want to re-flash with the same ROM, or maybe one that is very close

Yup, I use these methods also, but the original poster of the question is reflashing to the SAME rom. So using the backup programs will not be a problem. It is the same rom that is in the backup.

Good summary, though, of XDA_UC and Sashimi!