Why Root My HTC Hero

Guest chadt

Hello, I am new to all of this and would like some help.

Can someone please let me know why I should root my HTC Hero?

Is it possible to gain access to more aps that are offered via Android?

All of my friends have I-Phones and I want to see if this Hero can really rival it.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sinnadyr

Oh lord, yes!

Hope you have googled it, and if you want to fiddle around with your phone, gain FULL control, be able to install applications that need root access (i.e apps that's not officially supported by HTC and Google), then please, root it.

If you "just" want a phone, please by the iPhone. With android the possibillities are infinite, so if you dont wanna explore at all and see all the advantages with a little work you can do with an Android based phone, go to Apple.

And did I mention you always get the newest firmware and ROM updates, already rooted from MoDaCo before it's even officially out? And the thing is, it's just as simple as upgrading to official HTC-ROMs

Guest TheCodeMonk
Hello, I am new to all of this and would like some help.

Can someone please let me know why I should root my HTC Hero?

Is it possible to gain access to more aps that are offered via Android?

All of my friends have I-Phones and I want to see if this Hero can really rival it.

Thank you in advance.

What root gives you access to is

- uninstall some of the apps that the carrier pushes on you (like Sprint NFL and NASCAR)

- install custom ROM's (Like MoDaCo's ROM) that have updated software, different functionality, etc.

- Be able to tether your phone (so your computer can hook up to it wirelessly and use it's internet connection, effectively acting as a cell modem) (This can be done on iPhones but it takes rooting also and Apple is fairly active in trying to break your root access)

There's more info here on "Why Root?": http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=543940

Unlike the iPhone, you can install non-market apps out of the box. You don't even have to root it or anything for that. If you're looking for comparisons to the iPhone, there's dozens of reviews (google: hero vs iphone) that address this and the different capabilities. Ultimately, it comes down to what you want out of your phone and how important each feature is. :)

• 1 month later...

I am new to android. i just bought and unlocked a telus hero for use in the states on at&t. I have had wm devices that I put new roms on. I have JB my iphone. I am not scared to root my new phone. But I just cant find one valid reason yet why I would want to go through the effort of rooting this phone. I have an aircard for my laptop when I am traveling so I have no need to tether.

I just don't see anything I desire with a rooted hero. I guess when I get bored, i will try it, but this os is pretty nice without a lot of bloatware. I even like the senseui

Guest BlackEagleCG

Hi all,

I am new to android and all this things, but i am desperate to know:

DOES ROOTING MEAN THAT I WILL UNLOCK MY PHONE FROM T-Mobile ? I mean, since we install fresh copy of andorid, will this release my phone from the operator ??

Thanks in advance

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi all,

I am new to android and all this things, but i am desperate to know:

DOES ROOTING MEAN THAT I WILL UNLOCK MY PHONE FROM T-Mobile ? I mean, since we install fresh copy of andorid, will this release my phone from the operator ??

Thanks in advance

No, for that you will need to purchase an unlock code.