WM Tethering To The Rescue!!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

What makes Windows Mobile better than android and iphone? Well, plenty really, it's no secret I'm not a fan of either platform and I could go on a massive rant but I won't. One awesome feature of Windows Mobile that's been around for many years is internet connection sharing (tethering). Yes, I know it can be done on android and iphone but nowhere near as easily as Windows Mobile and, oh yeah, I've never found it to cost extra either!

Anyway, my ISP has been having issues recently. I was on 16meg Bulldog up until around 18mths ago when they got bought out by Pipex (Tiscali). The switchover went without a hitch until about 3mths ago when, although I was still syncing at 16meg, I was only getting 8meg. Lots of back and forth later, and my profile was downgraded to 8meg - not happy! Then they give me some bull about Cable & Wireless not letting them have 16meg anymore so I'm stuck at 8meg. Fine, at least I still have internet, right? Well, that was true up until Saturday night when I started having issues on Xbox Live. Rebooted my modem and my internet was no more - and still is at time of writing.

So, what do you do when the third incarnation of your favourite racing game (Forza) has just come out and you want some online action but have no internet? Windows Mobile to the rescue!!

I tethered my HD to my laptop and shared the connection to my Wifi adapter. The Xbox was connected to my router and I manually gave it my laptop's static IP address as the gateway. A bit of fiddling and port forwarding later and I was back playing on Xbox Live! :P I could have also used any of the Wifi router apps out there for WM and used the phone's IP as the gateway.

WM is awesome, mkay :D

Guest Salubri

I have tried this a couple of times, but I get a closed NAT, which some games complain about on Xbox Live. Halo in particular. Is there some way around this?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
I have tried this a couple of times, but I get a closed NAT, which some games complain about on Xbox Live. Halo in particular. Is there some way around this?

Not really, unless you use a proxy. All depends on which network you're with, some are worse than others. Use something like shields up to run a port scan and if it shows them all as blocked, try adding a proxy to the connection on the device.

Guest jchamier
Anyway, my ISP has been having issues recently. I was on 16meg Bulldog up until around 18mths ago when they got bought out by Pipex (Tiscali). The switchover went without a hitch until about 3mths ago when, although I was still syncing at 16meg, I was only getting 8meg. Lots of back and forth later, and my profile was downgraded to 8meg - not happy! Then they give me some bull about Cable & Wireless not letting them have 16meg anymore so I'm stuck at 8meg. Fine, at least I still have internet, right? Well, that was true up until Saturday night when I started having issues on Xbox Live. Rebooted my modem and my internet was no more - and still is at time of writing.

I was on Bulldog and jumped ship three days after the famous letter saying customers would be migrated to the Tiscali systems.

Use www.samknows.com to see if you can get O2/BE on your exchange, if you can, jump now as fast as you can, see in the history of the Bulldog forum at ThinkBroadband for details on how to do a Return To Donor. (Hint you have to call BT and use specific phrases exactly - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bulldog.html )

Good luck ;-)

Guest andybarker

Living out in the sticks, I have used my phone as a modem a few times over the years. Recently got one of the Share Dock devices from T-Mobile for free (only wanted a basic £10 a month package, got latest USB stick and the dock and free wifi). Very handy as a fallback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.