21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

That said I will have a look at linux/ubuntu and adding another string to the bow.

it is worth it, for once android (linux) and ubuntu (linux) work great together opposing windows where you have to deal with that "commandline". also once you are a little bit comfortable in the shell you can really make your life easy. i have aliases for adb shell, backup and restore of my sdcard and rebooting the phone, makes rom swapping a childs play... ;)

besides from that linux especialy ubuntu has come to a state of "usabilty" where it can be used as daily desktop operating system without any doubt. there are setbacks, but everytime i think "s*** this only works in windows" i flick my desktop cube around and the world is good again :P (desktop effects are great lol)

and best of all: you don't have to deal with forced restarts after updates, the update process itself is not as crappy, no wga no serials or activation whatever, no downloading 20 programs you need (and even if you have to, it's one command for apt-get...) lol this is getting off topic, so just do it :D

Guest NumbGreenThumb

Thanks so much for your work! The new kernel is definitely a lot more responsive and when combined with Paul's 2.8 ROM, this thing is awesome! You guys are kicking ass.

Guest Euthanatos
You are right, the thing is that even when you type 'free'' you don't get the right information.

Thanks for pointing that! I got a bit tired.. ;-) I corrected the compcache theory page !

As per the numbers, theyr are not as sweet but the experience on Hero is sweeter than numbers! ;-)

totally changes the device! ;-) Gives it the RAM it should have had in the first place when HTC built it!

Thanks again for the correction!

I just changed my ramzswap size to 200Mb and my device is not a gremlin yet.

Don't try this at home.

#cat /proc/ramzswap

DiskSize: 204800 kB

NumReads: 3456

NumWrites: 3955

FailedReads: 0

FailedWrites: 0

InvalidIO: 0

NotifyFree: 359

ZeroPages: 75

GoodCompress: 78 %

NoCompress: 3 %

PagesStored: 3525

PagesUsed: 1303

OrigDataSize: 14100 kB

ComprDataSize: 4993 kB

MemUsedTotal: 5212 kB

#free

total used free shared buffers

Mem: 196512 194504 2008 0 28

Swap: 204792 15100 189692

Total: 401304 209604 191700

EDIT: Works still fine running 40Apps

Edited by Euthanatos

Guest Euthanatos

I once heard that in some Mobile Devices only used Ram is being updated (electrical) to reduce power consumption, does enyone knows something about this. If that is the case we should think using less Ram.

Guest teknologist
I just changed my ramzswap size to 200Mb and my device is not a gremlin yet.

Don't try this at home.

#cat /proc/ramzswap

DiskSize: 204800 kB

NumReads: 3456

NumWrites: 3955

NotifyFree: 359

ZeroPages: 75

GoodCompress: 78 %

NoCompress: 3 %

PagesStored: 3525

PagesUsed: 1303

OrigDataSize: 14100 kB

ComprDataSize: 4993 kB

MemUsedTotal: 5212 kB

#free

total used free shared buffers

Mem: 196512 194504 2008 0 28

Swap: 204792 15100 189692

Total: 401304 209604 191700

EDIT: Works still fine running 40Apps

Well, with those stats you are just compressing 14Mb of RAM...do you think you really need 200Mb max disksize of compressible RAM ?

After running 24h+ I never seen it go more than 70Mb of original size RAM compressed...I figured out that 80mb was a good value...but that's with the use I make of my Hero...

I guess everyone needs to find his best value for the use he makes of the phone...80MB proved to be a good default...

Cheers,

Guest Euthanatos
Well, with those stats you are just compressing 14Mb of RAM...do you think you really need 200Mb max disksize of compressible RAM ?

After running 24h+ I never seen it go more than 70Mb of original size RAM compressed...I figured out that 80mb was a good value...but that's with the use I make of my Hero...

I guess everyone needs to find his best value for the use he makes of the phone...80MB proved to be a good default...

Cheers,

I don't need that amount of memory. I was just curious if it would work. It does!!

Guest NumbGreenThumb

I was curious what kind of result I'd get from cat /proc/ramzswap and I got the following:

DiskSize:	   81920 kB
NumReads: 1
NumWrites: 0
NotifyFree: 0
ZeroPages: 0
GoodCompress: 0 %
NoCompress: 0 %
PagesStored: 0
PagesUsed: 0
OrigDataSize: 0 kB
ComprDataSize: 0 kB
MemUsedTotal: 0 kB[/codebox]

Am I wrong to think that this isn't working for me? Granted I don't really have many apps running, but still, I'd imagine something would show up. When I moved to the new kernel, I made sure swapper wasn't installed (at least as far as I could tell, wasn't in the application list nor could I find it anywhere in the ap) but I kept my swap partition since I was under the impression that keeping it wouldn't matter now that this new kernel doesn't look for it. Am I mistaken? Should I remove it? Or am I getting 0 for everything simply because there really aren't many apps running?

Running MCR 2.8 w/ the latest kernel from this post.

Thanks for you help.

Edited by NumbGreenThumb

Or am I getting 0 for everything simply because there really aren't many apps running?

as is my alias for adb shell. here is what i get now:

user@host:~$ as uptime
09:43:54 up 6:11, load average: 18.88, 28.75, 27.42
user@host:~$ as cat /proc/ramzswap
DiskSize: 81920 kB
NumReads: 118569
NumWrites: 43383
NotifyFree: 28196
ZeroPages: 699
GoodCompress: 79 %
NoCompress: 4 %
PagesStored: 13248
PagesUsed: 4470
OrigDataSize: 52992 kB
ComprDataSize: 16321 kB
MemUsedTotal: 17880 kB[/codebox]

note the ratio of 3.24 :D after a reboot i get:

[codebox]hanno@bnhpap0j:~$ as uptime
09:47:31 up 1 min, load average: 7.52, 2.29, 0.79
hanno@bnhpap0j:~$ as cat /proc/ramzswap
NumReads: 1
NumWrites: 0
NotifyFree: 0
ZeroPages: 0
GoodCompress: 0 %
NoCompress: 0 %
PagesStored: 0
PagesUsed: 0
OrigDataSize: 0 kB
ComprDataSize: 0 kB
MemUsedTotal: 0 kB

then i open a few apps (and with a few i mean a lot, advanced task killer is showing 22 apps plus my ignore list):

user@host:~$ as cat /proc/ramzswap
NumReads: 5585
NumWrites: 9507
NotifyFree: 23
ZeroPages: 268
GoodCompress: 77 %
NoCompress: 1 %
PagesStored: 9195
PagesUsed: 3089
OrigDataSize: 36780 kB
ComprDataSize: 12210 kB
MemUsedTotal: 12356 kB[/codebox]

can your replicate that?

Guest NumbGreenThumb

Ah, I see now. I was looking at it after a recent reboot and not running many apps. I loaded a bunch of apps and let it sit for a bit and then I got an expected result. Thanks for help. I just wanted to make sure it was working...and it is. This new kernel is pretty sweet. I'm loving this phone more and more with all the work everyone is doing!

Guest masterpfa
it is worth it, for once android (linux) and ubuntu (linux) work great together opposing windows where you have to deal with that "commandline". also once you are a little bit comfortable in the shell you can really make your life easy. i have aliases for adb shell, backup and restore of my sdcard and rebooting the phone, makes rom swapping a childs play... :D

besides from that linux especialy ubuntu has come to a state of "usabilty" where it can be used as daily desktop operating system without any doubt. there are setbacks, but everytime i think "s*** this only works in windows" i flick my desktop cube around and the world is good again :D (desktop effects are great lol)

and best of all: you don't have to deal with forced restarts after updates, the update process itself is not as crappy, no wga no serials or activation whatever, no downloading 20 programs you need (and even if you have to, it's one command for apt-get...) lol this is getting off topic, so just do it :)

OK I'll have 2 :D , you've sold me!!!

You're right the restarts etc. are a pain with W*****s and now have a spare desktop (or 2) I can start experimenting and learning.

I forgotten about the desktop cube .

I am no longer afraid :D

Guest teknologist
OK I'll have 2 :) , you've sold me!!!

You're right the restarts etc. are a pain with W*****s and now have a spare desktop (or 2) I can start experimenting and learning.

I forgotten about the desktop cube .

I am no longer afraid :D

FYI, I tweak/cross-compile all the teknologist kernels on an Ubuntu 9.10 X86_64 box.... ;-)

Kudos to Ubuntu !

BTW I don't use effects... I find them too distracting.. ;-)

I only have 2 OSes....OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 9.10 X86_64...not interested by the rest and for the people who say, "but you can't play games on OSX or GNU/Linux"...give me a break guys and get yourself a Playstation for god sakes!

Edited by teknologist

FYI, I tweak/cross-compile all the teknologist kernels on an Ubuntu 9.10 X86_64 box.... ;-)

Kudos to Ubuntu !

BTW I don't use effects... I find them too distracting.. ;-)

I only have 2 OSes....OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 9.10 X86_64...not interest by the rest and for the people that say, you can't play games on OSX or GNU/Linux...give me a break guys and get yourself a Playstation for god sakes!

Dude those are words of wisdon this is how i see it. ms windows your under bills mercy for the rest of your life but linux Freedom for good.

Guest teknologist
Dude those are words of wisdon this is how i see it. ms windows your under bills mercy for the rest of your life but linux Freedom for good.

Well, with OSX you are under Steve's mercy and with Ubuntu, under Mike's mercy, but again, I trust more Steve & Mike than Bill.

Just kidding, more seriously I just think, from my experiences ;-), that MS software/OS is plain bullsh*t....Always amazed by how much they have sold...not due to quality but thanks to sales practices (OEM...) with stupid hardware manufacturers that had nothing to run the ugly PCs they sell...

Just my humble opinion...and again, I don't believe an OS and a PC is made for gameplay (the only part where Winblows shines compared to the rest) ....for that situation we've had game consoles for decades now! ;-)

Guest masterpfa
Well, with OSX you are under Steve's mercy and with Ubuntu, under Mike's mercy, but again, I trust more Steve & Mike than Bill.

Just kidding, more seriously I just think, from my experiences ;-), that MS software/OS is plain bullsh*t....Always amazed by how much they have sold...not due to quality but thanks to sales practices (OEM...) with stupid hardware manufacturers that had nothing to run the ugly PCs they sell...

Just my humble opinion...and again, I don't believe an OS and a PC is made for gameplay (the only part where Winblows shines compared to the rest) ....for that situation we've had game consoles for decades now! ;-)

I totally agree regarding gameplay & games, I'll always tend to get a dedicated Games machine, although every now and then will revert to my Win7 for a preview or two.

As I said earlier I am looking forward to experimenting may also consider running OSX on a machine or two, prefer the Apple way of thinking compared to Microsoft's, but will also fire up that space PC I have into Ubuntu in a while.

OK back to refreshing these pages see if you Tecknologist or Paul have any more goodies up your sleeves for us.

P.S. I also moved my dalvik-cache to my SD card as well as using cache2sd. More RAM 135MB, available and along with all the other tweeks phone is running sweet. Roll on Android 2.0 and new HTC Sense :) :D :D

Edited by masterpfa

P.S. I also moved my dalvik-cache to my SD card as well as using cache2sd. More RAM 135MB, available and along with all the other tweeks phone is running sweet. Roll on Android 2.0 and new HTC Sense :) :D :D

more and more i get the feeling that "internal memory" and "ram" are mixed here. freeing up internal memory by apps2sd and moving caches does not affect the amount of free ram...

Guest teknologist
more and more i get the feeling that "internal memory" and "ram" are mixed here. freeing up internal memory by apps2sd and moving caches does not affect the amount of free ram...

Yep, agree with you, people are confusing both. By the way, never got 135Mb RAM free here. masterpfa, how much compcache are you smoking...oops sorry, using , mate ? ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
complete newb... so this means on the new 2.9 rom all this will just work... i dont need to do anything??

thanks in advance.

Yes , 2.9 includes this kernel by default.

Guest masterpfa
Yep, agree with you, people are confusing both. By the way, never got 135Mb RAM free here. masterpfa, how much compcache are you smoking...oops sorry, using , mate ? ;-)

I was refering to internal phone memory.

I had previously been using your 144MB ramzswap but decided to start again, took delivery over the week end of a Transend 8Gb Class 6 card, so having had a few problems not related to any one thing in particular and the new SD card, decided to start afresh.

So MCR 2.9 including your stock 1.8 kernel with 80Mb , plus MCR Boot sounds(just have to have that!)

I have also moved dalvik-cache to SD card and have Cache2SD installed. (seen a few posts recommending this!)

Today Internal memory used 31mb, leaving 134mb Internal RAM free.

Currently not too many APPS ,34 at last count of backing up on Astro file manager, just about checking phone stability etc and also waiting for more Killer apps in the market.

(I feel another thread coming on. Which apps do you us & why?? LOL :) )

Currently aiming for Stability (may even try your 64MB Ramzswap!!)

P.S. Had no problem at all with 144Mb was just inquisitive.

:D

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Patric42

Anyone of the kernel builders played with BFS already? Paul told he played with it, but couldn't get it going...

As far as I understood it, the BFS scheduler uses simpler (=faster) way to determine which task to run next, hence it's particularly tailored for small devices and low power cpus. That sounds like a perfect match somehow... ;-)

Patric

Edited by Patric42

Guest teknologist
Anyone of the kernel builders played with BFS already? Paul told he played with it, but couldn't get it going...

As far as I understood it, the BFS scheduler uses simpler (=faster) way to determine which task to run next, hence it's particularly tailored for small devices and low power cpus. That sounds like a perfect match somehow... ;-)

Patric

Hi Patric,

Tried BFS too and the modifications needed to the Hero kernel were important, involving cpu files...As we aim for stability, I didn't want to touch those. Also, it seems that, after playing with BFS on his Dream/magic kernel mod, Cyanogen decided to revert to the plain old CFS. I have heard that there are many crashed on Rosie (Sense UI) using BFS.

For those 2 reasons I decided not to pursue efforts on BFS.

Also when you read infos on Con Kolivas BFS, it's more aimed at multi CPU/Core enhancements, I don't really think it would benefit the Hero, but that's just my humble opinion.

By the way, I use MCR 2.9 with my kernel v1.8 included and feel the device is very responsive so don't know what it could improve...If you load 200 apps (exaggerating on purpose ;-) , it will be slow, no matter what scheduler you use, it's still a phone , not a PC! ;-)

Edited by teknologist