21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist
Got it running, was a really stupid error, CONFIG_CRYPTO_ECB and CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4 was missing, somehow obvious with the WEP error we got.

[ 1154.978118] wl1251: loaded

[ 1154.979278] wl1251: initialized

[ 1228.568481] mmc0: Data timeout

[ 1228.568908] wl1251: ERROR sdio write failed (-110)

[ 1229.464477] mmc0: Data timeout

[ 1229.465240] wl1251: ERROR sdio read failed (-110)

[ 1229.465515] wl1251: WARNING WLAN not ready

[ 1229.465850] firmware: requesting wl1251-fw.bin

[ 1229.608245] init: untracked pid 702 exited

[ 1229.774291] firmware: requesting wl1251-nvs.bin

[ 1229.791992] init: untracked pid 703 exited

[ 1230.263214] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780

[ 1230.263916] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.5)

[ 1230.313049] phy0: device now idle
 iwconfig

wlan0	 IEEE 802.11bg  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated

Tx-Power=20 dBm

Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0	 Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:39:BC:XX:XX

Channel:7

Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)

Quality=38/70  Signal level=-72 dBm

Encryption key:on

ESSID:"XXX"

Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s

24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s

Mode:Master

Extra:tsf=0000003dd7c67210....

Now I only need to compile a static patched wpa_supplicant (http://bobcopeland.com/android_wifi.html) because I have no android userland environment with all the libs, and it should work :D

[EDIT]

Used the linux (debian) wpa_supplicant binary everything works fine :(

[EDIT2]

wohoo, monitor mode/packet injection - aircrack seem to work too (not sure how functional/stable)

That's great !

redcow, why did you need an updated wpa_supplicant? Also, MCR 3.0 has a slightly newer wpa_supplicant that MCR 2.9.

P

Because WEXT is old (has your wpa_supplicant version WEXT driver compiled in?) and nl80211 support needs a patch + libnl.

So to implement these fixes into MCR we need a new kernel and wpa_supplicant right?

P

We can use the wpa_supplicant from the Android build environment by adding the options:

CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y

CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y

in the .config. In this way it would be still be compatible with the TI supplicant driver, or we build a generic wpa_supplicant with nl80211 support, however this wpa_supplicant version would only be compatible with wl1251. nl80211 is the successor of the wireless extension, it replaces the ioctl based implementation with a much more flexible one using netlink.

Edited by redcow

Guest teknologist
We can use the wpa_supplicant from the Android build environment by adding the options:

CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y

CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y

in the .config. In this way it would be still be compatible with the TI supplicant driver, or we build a generic wpa_supplicant with nl80211 support, however this wpa_supplicant version would only be compatible with wl1251. nl80211 is the successor of the wireless extension, it replaces the ioctl based implementation with a much more flexible one using netlink.

What does it bring besides being able to run aircrack to brute force wifi networks ?

Just want to make sure it's of some use to the average joe...As far as I am concerned apart from wifi tether that crashed a couple of time (weird because it's really the only one and doesn't do that much on my phone anymore)...the rest works great with android sources wlan driver and I wouldn't like to loose in stability just to be able to crack wifi networks...

As I always say Android is not Linux, I am always careful when splitting away from the Android platform sourcetree..

But I am completely openminded so what do YOU think guys ?

I can have package ready for tonight if you need me.

What does it bring besides being able to run aircrack to brute force wifi networks ?

To be honest I just wanted to get it running because I don't like closed source on an open source OS, and I wanted the possibility to be more flexible, the wl12xx driver create a "real" wifi interface which you can use with every generic linux tool kismet (?), iwconfig, hostap. I'm not sure how stable it is or if it has some performance benefits, however u are right, for a "normal" android user it makes no sense not to use the TI supplicant driver (the wifi widgets only support the TI driver) , its more for experience user or developer. Moreover the question if it is possible to have packet injection/monitor mode on htc hero/android working is now answered :D.

Edited by redcow

Guest teknologist
To be honest I just wanted to get it running because I don't like closed source on an open source OS, and I wanted the possibility to be more flexible, the wl12xx driver create a "real" wifi interface which you can use with every generic linux tool kismet (?), iwconfig, hostap. I'm not sure how stable it is or if it has some performance benefits, however u are right, for a "normal" android user it makes no sense not to use the TI supplicant driver (the wifi widgets only support the TI driver) , its more for experience user or developer. Moreover the question if it is possible to have packet injection/monitor mode on htc hero/android working is now answered :D.

We could release then a small option update pack including:

-the kernel compiled with those modules

-an updated version of wpa_supplicant compiled with WEXT support

-The symlink and firmware files to be copied

And a second package to restore the normal MCR 3.0 files (wpa_supplicant, kernel, modules)

So people could switch and try the one they prefer - it could be a developer preview pack or something like that.

Only thing, it will be low priority for me as I have some other work to go through at the moment...maybe more time next week!

Edited by teknologist

We could release then a small option update pack

Yeah I think that would be a great solution :D np no hurry, I think all the people who really need it, find all information in this thread to build it on their own.

[EDIT]

If somebody is interested in getting it running I attached an archive, copy the libnl.so to /system/lib. wpa_supplicant-wext is the android default wpa_supplicant with added wext support (its the "old" 0.5.10 and not 0.5.11 (modaco 3.0)) and wpa_supplicant-nl80211 which uses the libnl.so and thus the new netlink wifi framework, "iw" is similar to "iwconfig" in order to control the device (http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/nl80211).

wifi_wpa.tar.gz

Edited by redcow

Guest teknologist

Just released a "performance tweak" update package for Teknologist kernel 1.8 and newer and all MCR based on Teknologist kernel (2.8/2.9/3.0)

It improves the responsiveness of the device , especially on wake-up after sleep...

Details here / Downloads Here

Guest robertosandros

just tryed the new performance tweak when I got back from work and jeez it really makes a difference. Everything seems to be much more snappier :D

I'll let you know about how the battery copes in due time but I don't think my results will be of much help as I use an extended battery for my Hero.

Guest JadeMonkee
Just released a "performance tweak" update package for Teknologist kernel 1.8 and newer and all MCR based on Teknologist kernel (2.8/2.9/3.0)

It improves the responsiveness of the device , especially on wake-up after sleep...

I installed it on my way into work this morning. I charge my phone at work and when I go to bed at night, so I can't really report on battery drainage, but the speed increase makes this update worthwhile. Only positives thus far.

Will report back if I notice anything funky goin on.

EDIT: Actually, the performance is WONDERFUL. No longer does music stutter when waking the screen. Teknologist, I believe you have made the phone the way it should have been from the beginning. I get paid tomorrow, a donation to you (and Paul) will follow. Thank you so much.

As I said before, I can't comment on battery life yet, as I really only test it on weekends, when I don't charge it during the day.

Edited by JadeMonkee

Guest sheppy1
I installed it on my way into work this morning. I charge my phone at work and when I go to bed at night, so I can't really report on battery drainage, but the speed increase makes this update worthwhile. Only positives thus far.

Will report back if I notice anything funky goin on.

EDIT: Actually, the performance is WONDERFUL. No longer does music stutter when waking the screen. Teknologist, I believe you have made the phone the way it should have been from the beginning. I get paid tomorrow, a donation to you (and Paul) will follow. Thank you so much.

As I said before, I can't comment on battery life yet, as I really only test it on weekends, when I don't charge it during the day.

I really want to install this performance tweak, just waiting to hear more feedback from people on how well it performs and if it affects the battery life

I really want to install this performance tweak, just waiting to hear more feedback from people on how well it performs and if it affects the battery life

I have only been running it for a day, but I have not noticed any unusual drain on the battery. From reading the description of what the tweak does, I would not expect to see one, as all it does is bring the speed of the processor up to maximum faster when the phone wakes up than the default settings, which I guess could be a matter of seconds. It does not affect the speed of the processor when the phone is asleep and the maximum speed is unchanged.

If I find my phone is flat in the morning, I will eat my words :D

Guest sheppy1
I have only been running it for a day, but I have not noticed any unusual drain on the battery. From reading the description of what the tweak does, I would not expect to see one, as all it does is bring the speed of the processor up to maximum faster when the phone wakes up than the default settings, which I guess could be a matter of seconds. It does not affect the speed of the processor when the phone is asleep and the maximum speed is unchanged.

If I find my phone is flat in the morning, I will eat my words :D

Ahhhhh OK, thanks for clearing this up, I see what this tweak does now, thanks for the feedback too, I am going to install this now :(

Guest inertiax3

Sorry for a noob question.. I was wondering whether it is too much work to update the kernel to the 2.6.32 release. Looking at the directory structure of the Teknologist source and the 2.6.32 at kernel.org I would suppose overwriting files, editing some config files (as per the git comments..?) should be part of what is needed? Plus adding the wireless driver .. and it should *theoretically* compile correctly? :(

I am just looking for some pointers, never done this before and would love to experiment.. again, sorry if my reasoning is completely wrong.. :D

Btw, flashed your 1.9 Teknologist kernel, works excellent.. Also no problems with the CPU frequency patch. Excellent work!!!

Guest dan o'neil

Feedback for the tweak - it's awesome. The phone flies now!!! If anything, my battery seems to last longer - I have really put it through it's paces!!!

Guest teknologist
Sorry for a noob question.. I was wondering whether it is too much work to update the kernel to the 2.6.32 release. Looking at the directory structure of the Teknologist source and the 2.6.32 at kernel.org I would suppose overwriting files, editing some config files (as per the git comments..?) should be part of what is needed? Plus adding the wireless driver .. and it should *theoretically* compile correctly? ;)

I am just looking for some pointers, never done this before and would love to experiment.. again, sorry if my reasoning is completely wrong.. ;)

Btw, flashed your 1.9 Teknologist kernel, works excellent.. Also no problems with the CPU frequency patch. Excellent work!!!

Thanks ! as per the 2.6.32 sources...I wish it'd be that easy! ;-) android-msm kernel is very different to the linux kernel, and last but least, htc hero kernel is very different than android-msm...so the first thing would be to port Android-msm latest which is 2.6.29 to htc hero, that has already proved to be a hard task...not worth if we wait for the htc 2.6.29 kernel sources that should come out with the Hero 2.1 software update...

If you want to experiment try downloading android-msm from git or the teknologist kernel sources on github...

Cheers!

Edited by teknologist

Guest masterpfa
Feedback for the tweak - it's awesome. The phone flies now!!! If anything, my battery seems to last longer - I have really put it through it's paces!!!

@Teknologist

I can second that. I did have the OverClock widget installed, but once I removed this and applied the tweak

NO Looking back, phone wakes immediately and runs lag free, completely and no issues with the battery

Thanks, have a drink on me

;)

Edited by masterpfa

If I make a nandroid backup and then restore, will this Tweak stay on the phone? Just wondering where I can see, if I still have it or not? Cause I did a restore, but can`t say if there is difference, than before the Tweak.

Edited by JuW

Hello,

Just registered here to comment on the battery drain. While the speed improvements are really noticeable, at least in my case the battery drained in about 22 hours, compared to the almost 3 days without this patch, using the MoDaCo 3.0 with Teknologism 1.9.

I reverted to a nandroid backup in order to remove this patch, as I'd rather take the longer battery life. ;)

Thank you for the great kernel, anyway!