21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest cosy6ay

how to edit the files ?

under adb shell

i did a vi and it come out crap.

adb pull /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh .

edit the file

adb remount

adb push . /system/init.d/.

is above corect ?

Guest teknologist
how to edit the files ?

under adb shell

i did a vi and it come out crap.

adb pull /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh .

edit the file

adb remount

adb push . /system/init.d/.

is above corect ?

Well, the very last line is wrong..

it should be

adb push ramzswap.sh /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh

reboot and you are set...

BTW while you are in adb, can you still report on the output of:

adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

It's just to make sure you are using the performance CPU governor

Edited by teknologist

Guest cosy6ay

thanks.

after rebooting.

cat /system/init.d/ramzswap show ok.

but /proc/ramzswap not found. any issue ?

or am i missing something.

performance

Well, the very last line is wrong..

it should be

adb push ramzswap.sh /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh

reboot and you are set...

BTW while you are in adb, can you still report on the output of:

It's just to make sure you are using the performance CPU governor

Edited by cosy6ay

Guest teknologist
thanks.

after rebooting.

cat /system/init.d/ramzswap show ok.

but /proc/ramzswap not found. any issue ?

or am i missing something.

Well, you managed to break the ramzswap init file.

anyway, it should be named /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh and not /system/init.d/ramzswap (as it show in your post)

So right now you are running TCK 1.91 without ramzswap

Nevertheless as you seem to think that your sluggishness is due to ramzswap (and I don't really agree with that) maybe you should try your phone a few days in that state and see if it improves your experience, then come back to this forum and report on your findings...

performance

that's good

Last but not least I'dl like to say that Android 1.5 performance is what it is and I don't really understand why everytime there is some sluggishness, first thing people want to blame is the kernel...you might want to check the apps you are running too...just something I wanted to says for a few weeks now... ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest bandroid
Well, you managed to break the ramzswap init file.

anyway, it should be named /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh and not /system/init.d/ramzswap (as it show in your post)

So right now you are running TCK 1.91 without ramzswap

Nevertheless as you seem to think that your sluggishness is due to ramzswap (and I don't really agree with that) maybe you should try your phone a few days in that state and see if it improves your experience, then come back to this forum and report on your findings...

that's good

Last but not least I'dl like to say that Android 1.5 performance is what it is and I don't really understand why everytime there is some sluggishness, first thing people want to blame is the kernel...you might want to check the apps you are running too...just something I wanted to says for a few weeks now... ;-)

I've been disabling compcache since ... well since compcache was enabled.

Because the phone would feel sluggish after a day of use or so.

My theory is that the phone is not supposed to have more RAM. The Android OS memory management seems to at least keep 25-30MB free at any given time

but with compcache enabled it can keep more apps/processes open, which the crappy CPU of the phone simply can't handle...

Guest Dan Mullen

My theory is that the phone is not supposed to have more RAM. The Android OS memory management seems to at least keep 25-30MB free at any given time

but with compcache enabled it can keep more apps/processes open, which the crappy CPU of the phone simply can't handle...

That tallies with what I've found too.

Guest teknologist

No worries, I know android starts killing processes automagically when memory is close to full. But I simply don't think 256MB of RAM is that much.

So basically you guys think 528Mhz is slow for a CPU handling just a few processes and a "light" OS layer (compared to traditional full featured PCs) ?

Remember 10 years ago when we were running Debian on a Pentium 90Mhz with 256MB RAM with a full Xwindow desktop and lots of apps ?

Again I just wish to say, my phone doesn't feel sluggish and the vast majority of people using TCK with compcache are delighted.

Maybe it just doesn't suit your particular use of the Hero...

And it is you are free to deactivate compcache.. ;-) ...but then I don't see what advantages you see in using my kernel except for the netfilter/tun module...I would be surprised if there is any speed advantage in using TCK over the HTC stock kernel...

Edited by teknologist

Guest Dan Mullen
No worries, I know android starts killing processes automagically when memory is close to full. But I simply don't think 256MB of RAM is that much.

So basically you guys think 528Mhz is slow for a CPU handling just a few processes and a "light" OS layer (compared to traditional full featured PCs) ?

Remember 10 years ago when we were running Debian on a Pentium 90Mhz with 256MB RAM with a full Xwindow desktop and lots of apps ?

Again I just wish to say, my phone doesn't feel sluggish and the vast majority of people using TCK with compcache are delighted.

And it is you are free to deactivate compcache.. ;-) ...but then I don't see what advantages you see in using my kernel except for the netfilter/tun module...I would be surprised if there is any speed advantage in using TCK over the HTC stock kernel...

But at that time, Debian developers were building for 90MHz computers... Try running the latest release on a P90 ;)

I have no idea if compcache is the cause of the extreme lag I often experience. My posts have questioned if it could be the culprit as I've wondered how it interferes with Androids default memory management, but I don't know enough about it really. My experience has been that, since the custom kernel was added to MCR, I have been experiencing sever slow-down. Of course that doesn't mean compcache is the cause - it could be a coincidence... maybe it's a particular app I've been using, maybe it's something else... I have no idea!

I think you've done some great work for the Android/Hero community, so don't take any feedback I've given personally :)

Guest bandroid

I think I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss this on a proper level. :)

Anyway do not misunderstand, I love and appreciate your work very much!

But compcache definitly does slow down my phone considerably and the cause is imo that it keeps too many processes open.

Guest teknologist
I think I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss this on a proper level. :)

Anyway do not misunderstand, I love and appreciate your work very much!

But compcache definitly does slow down my phone considerably and the cause is imo that it keeps too many processes open.

No worries guys, I don't take any offense, I am just trying to understand why does yield to a much improved user experience from and most of the users and why it does not for you.

All this just in order to try to improve it to suite the maximum number of users from newbies to power-users (has always been my goal with TCK)

Could you use it for a few days without turning it off and try to report "cat /proc/ramzswap".

Also you might check "top" to see the high cpu working process when you feel the phone is sluggish...might help in case you have a weird app consuming lots of CPU and running periodically...

I do remove HTCMail myself an replace it by K-9 and I always found the system more responsive.

Hope it helps...

Have been running my phone for 60Hrs+ and don't find it sluggish at all...

I also use autostarts and remove all unneeded apps from running periodically and at startup

Cheers!

Guest metalgun

i am using modaco 3.0 rom,can i install the 1.91 kernel?

or this kernel is included in modaco 3.0?

if i can install this,may i need to delete the swap partition on my SD Card?

Edited by metalgun

@ teknologist

I also don´t feel any sluggishness, but I have also the OverclockWidget running on the phone and it makes a slightly difference in phone behaviour (and battery usage, I´m running the phone about 68-75 hours with one energy load). But lets be honest it is just a phone and in combination with MCR and tek´s kernel compared to the delivery status, it´s the best package you can have on the phone.

I used Symbian before and I have the feeling that Symbian was a "rounder" system than Android, so what I trying to say is that Android 1.5 on our Hero´s is not finished and I think it will improve more and more with the coming phone models and software versions.

Edited by Phanes

just updated this kernel and it runs much much greater,thanks. With this kernel + app2sd, I even feel much faster than previous roms with no app2sd enabled.

Well, as many have noted, it runs sluggish over time, unfortunately I felt the same... Last night after I flashed this kernel after appr. 6 hours, I did an "End All" with Advanced Task Manager to free more memory, so I got 100M+ free mem. But now, 24 hrs later, an "End All" only gives me 70M free mem.

I understand that different apps would occupy running mem increasingly, such as gmail,some crappy online journal reader, but would those be 30M this much? very doubtful... I've been installing regular apps, no games.

could this be a fault of compcache?

Edited by ndep

@ ndep

... your issue is easy to handle, I did installed an app called "Startup Auditor" to avoid self starting apps while boot or when the phone is in use.

This also avoids in my case that the problem, which you described, after killing apps with Task Manager, of the varying free memory do raise. Means I have steady 100-110 MB free space.

@ ndep

... your issue is easy to handle, I did installed an app called "Startup Auditor" to avoid self starting apps while boot or when the phone is in use.

This also avoids in my case that the problem, which you described, after killing apps with Task Manager, of the varying free memory do raise. Means I have steady 100-110 MB free space.

@Phanes

thanks for your advice, but actually I've already done so, well pretty thoroughly, long ago using "Autostarts". What troubles me is that there is a 30MB decrease during a 24hr runtime, which is pretty a lot to this little weak Hero...

Guest teknologist

Some news. I have been experiencing unusual sluggishness today and have managed to pinpoint (in my case) the root cause of this.

After running top I have found that the android.process.media process is "eating" an unusual amount of CPU for an unusual amount of time...

After killing the album app everything seems to run normally again.

this is just to stress what I have been saying since the beginning: the sluggishness is not caused by the kernel or compcache , just by poorly behaving apps and the one killing my CPU is HTC's album app....(called by widgets) and bundled in the ROM ! :-(

My advice: when you experience such sluggishness run a top and see what is killing your cpu...it might help ! ;-)

Guest Dan Mullen
Some news. I have been experiencing unusual sluggishness today and have managed to pinpoint (in my case) the root cause of this.

After running top I have found that the android.process.media process is "eating" an unusual amount of CPU for an unusual amount of time...

After killing the album app everything seems to run normally again.

this is just to stress what I have been saying since the beginning: the sluggishness is not caused by the kernel or compcache , just by poorly behaving apps and the one killing my CPU is HTC's album app....(called by widgets) and bundled in the ROM ! :-(

My advice: when you experience such sluggishness run a top and see what is killing your cpu...it might help ! ;-)

Thanks for this - I use the HTC Album widget. I'll keep an eye on it and log what the top processes are when I experience lag.

Guest metalgun

i am using modaco 3.0 rom,can i install the 1.91 kernel?

or this kernel is included in modaco 3.0?

if i can install this,may i need to delete the swap partition on my SD Card?

Guest mestys

Thanks for this kernel Teknologist, I can definetly see a huge improvement with the compache. Keep up the great work. I'll make a donation as a thankyou of all your hard work.

Edited by mestys

Guest Dan Mullen
I have been running my phone for 121Hrs+ and don't find it sluggish at all... :)

At the end of the day, everyone's experience is going to be completely different depending on how you use the phone, how many apps you have installed, what the apps are, etc...

Just want to report that everything runs fine on my phone using modaco 3.0 and Technologist 1.91. No sluggishness. I very seldom shut down or reboot my phone. Thanks for the great work!!

Guest ptruman
Just want to report that everything runs fine on my phone using modaco 3.0 and Technologist 1.91. No sluggishness. I very seldom shut down or reboot my phone. Thanks for the great work!!

One interesting note for me - I've had LESS lag after I removed HTC Mail from the phone....the only downside to that is that I can't long click on an image in the browser and "Share via email" anymore (don't even get the option to choose a client) but it's definitely more fluid....holding around 30M free typically as well.

Guest ritdaw

I'm running MCR 3.0 with 1.91 and I too experience a great deal of sluggishness. I updated to 1.91 in the hope that it would solve the problem. The main time I experience lag is unlocking the phone (sometimes it takes 3 attempts to swipe my lock pattern). I am also having to use taskiller a lot more as the phone becomes very unresponsive at swiping screens and opening apps. There doesnt seem to be any particular pattern to which app causes a problem, just a general lack of ram.

When I was using the last version of MCR with the stock kernel (was it MCR 2.8?) I don't remember having to use taskiller very often, but that was a while ago.

Just putting my thoughts on paper, your hard work is always appreciated Teknologist.

PS. Can I use the "top" command in adb shell?

Edited by ritdaw