21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist
I'm running MCR 3.0 with 1.91 and I too experience a great deal of sluggishness. I updated to 1.91 in the hope that it would solve the problem. The main time I experience lag is unlocking the phone (sometimes it takes 3 attempts to swipe my lock pattern). I am also having to use taskiller a lot more as the phone becomes very unresponsive at swiping screens and opening apps. There doesnt seem to be any particular pattern to which app causes a problem, just a general lack of ram.

When I was using the last version of MCR with the stock kernel (was it MCR 2.8?) I don't remember having to use taskiller very often, but that was a while ago.

Just putting my thoughts on paper, your hard work is always appreciated Teknologist.

PS. Can I use the "top" command in adb shell?

Yes you can ! :-)

You should look for a badly designed app...

Have lots of apps installed here and don't see that behavior at all !

Good luck and share if you find anything...

Guest venturerider

I hope the ramzswap stuff will be optional in the new rom. I don't need the feature and I don't want it. Same goes for a2sd.

Edited by venturerider

Guest ritdaw
Yes you can ! :-)

You should look for a badly designed app...

Have lots of apps installed here and don't see that behavior at all !

Good luck and share if you find anything...

I'm going to give it a try without ramzswap to see if there is any difference and will report back. Will also check top from time to time.

Guest miragebg

Please, tell me what in ramzswap.sh file I have to edit to disable ramzswap?

First I changed swapon to swapoff in the ramzswap.sh, after that pushed it successfully.(may be this I shouldn't did)

Now after I tried to reduce ramzswap file to 80MB and revert back "swapon" in the line using notepad and when I try to push it on the phone, adb says:

Failed to copy "ramzswap.sh" to " system/init........". Read-only file system.

Second- when type

adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

it says: No such a file or dir

What does it mean?

Edited by miragebg

Guest Dan Mullen
Please, tell me what in ramzswap.sh file I have to edit to disable ramzswap?

First I changed swapon to swapoff in the ramzswap.sh, after that pushed it successfully.(may be this I shouldn't did)

Now after I tried to reduce ramzswap file to 80MB and revert back "swapon" in the line using notepad and when I try to push it on the phone, adb says:

Failed to copy "ramzswap.sh" to " system/init........". Read-only file system.

Second- when type

adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

it says: No such a file or dir

What does it mean?

I've just answered this in your other post :)

Edited by Dan Mullen

Guest as4m4df
AmonRA 1.5.2 doesn't fix the fact that it simply doesn't support ext4 (only ext4-dev)

Kendon has been answering this already all over this forums.

As per your boot loop...dunno...

2 cases out of 118 downloads so far...

[EDIT] 2 cases out of 298 downloads so far...

Maybe removing the battery f*cks up something... As I don't don't know why it reboot cycles... :-(

You have the exact same setup I have except I use ext2 for the sdcard A2SD partition because I wanted to use AmonRA's excellent nand+ext new feature!

Anyway, the thing I really don't understand with Phanes and your problems is how come you are unable to Nandroid restore ???

Even if you can't restore sdcard ext partition it should ALWAYS restore the ROM area fine.

I do nandroid backup/restores all the time ! (think about it , with the amount of testing I do everytime) Never had a single glitch.

This afternoon I wiped the phone and installed Generic .66, updated with 1.91 for generics and succesfully nandroid restore back to my MCR 3.0 + 1.91 kernel without any problems...

I am starting to think more and more, you guys might have some serious issues with your sdcards...

Sorry I can't be of more help ! :-(

Just a heads up, i was going to post cause i had the same reboot problem. Would have been 3 cases out of all the successes! BUT i realised i had downloaded the generic kernel instead of the specific mcr one!!

I know frack up on my behalf, but it made me wonder maybe there was other people who had done the same!! Great minds 'n all!!

Goes without saying, DONT USE the GENERIC 1.91 kernel with MCR!!

I know this was a few days back, but maybe some poor soul out there will find it useful some time!

And great work Tek.

Guest teknologist
I posted a limited Beta of MCR 3.1 featuring TCK 1.91 here - http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...m-limited-beta/

P

Hi Paul,

I may be releasing a TCK 1.91 without compcache for people who are not getting benefits of compache.

I think it will just be a small update.zip that replaces the ramzswap.sh script.

What do you think about this ?

Cheers and heads up for the MCR 3.1! can't wait ! ;-)

Guest dr_ysp

this is very true, i had class 6 8gb i always had loop issue, then i checked sd in linux it shows corrupt ext2 system, then changed sdcard....

everything works gr8 now no more loops.

so if any of u have loops try checking ext 2/3/4 on ubuntu linux.

Guest Dan Mullen
this is very true, i had class 6 8gb i always had loop issue, then i checked sd in linux it shows corrupt ext2 system, then changed sdcard....

everything works gr8 now no more loops.

so if any of u have loops try checking ext 2/3/4 on ubuntu linux.

If you ever find your ext partition is corrupt, just run a repair from the recovery menu.

Guest ritdaw
Hi Paul,

I may be releasing a TCK 1.91 without compcache for people who are not getting benefits of compache.

I think it will just be a small update.zip that replaces the ramzswap.sh script.

What do you think about this ?

Cheers and heads up for the MCR 3.1! can't wait ! ;-)

I think its worth releasing without compcache, my phone runs like a dream without it. I have found the latest version of taskiller to use quite a bit of cpu time. A good app to monitor is called "OSMonitor". Anyone know of a good task manager? I like taskiller, but I think since they've introduced the service mode it consumes a lot of cpu.

Guest teknologist
Yeah, seems sensible... I see in Cyanogen's ROM it's toggleable in Spare Parts. We need something like that! :)

P

yep, exactly we would need something toggleable in the UI.

Also seems the switch to performance CPU governor has made such a speed improvement that the benefits from compcache seem to be marginal right now !

I'll have a look with someone I know who is familiar with UI app development on Android (the maker of TunnelDroid OpenVPN client)

Alos I plan on releasing the next TCK shortly with htc's perflocks disabled so people can use the setCPU app if they wish...

We should maybe coordinate in order to get it into MCR 3.1...let me know. (I'll be trying 1.92 with your MCR 3.1 beta and report...next week...I have been very busy since returning from Xmas holidays)

It's just a minor release...no big changes so it shouldn't be a risk...

Cheers!

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
Cool mate, if you have any updates for 3.1 just grab me on IM or PM!

P

I think we will get an UI app to toggle compcache without rebooting and also setting disksize_kb in UI

I'll keep you posted !

Cheers,

--Eric

Guest kendon
Alos I plan on releasing the next TCK shortly with htc's perflocks disabled so people can use the setCPU app if they wish...

did you get it working? i tried the kernel you sent me, got similar weird but crappy results as you did...

Guest teknologist
did you get it working? i tried the kernel you sent me, got similar weird but crappy results as you did...

Well personally I don't like it neither and disabling perflocks in the kernel blocks the CPU at 528Mhz even when the screen is off so unless you install an CPU control app such as setCPU app, it drains the battery very quickly.

I think the performance CPU Governor with 528Mhz/246Mhz when screen on/off does a wonderful job in terms both of performance/battery...

Still discussing with Paul to see what we do !

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist

Maybe we'll be releasing a geek pack with the setcpu app and a no perflocks kernel

Edited by teknologist

Guest kendon
Well personally I don't like it neither and disabling perflocks in the kernel blocks the CPU at 528Mhz even when the screen is off so unless you install an CPU control app such as setCPU app, it drains the battery very quicly.

I think the performance CPU Governor with 528Mhz/246Mhz when screen on/off does a wonderful job in terms both of performance/battery...

Still discussing with Paul to see what we do !

i have switched to your solution with the performance governor too. i was running the ondemand governor with a modified threshold, but the phone got really sluggish after a day or so... i'll see what this can do, tbh i am off of the overclocking idea, don't see the advantages weigh out the disadvantages / effort...

Guest kendon
Maybe we'll be releasing a geek pack with the setcpu app and a no perflocks kernel

good idea, combine it with a poll so people can vote whether it works or not, pretty sure it will run dead pretty fast when people voting not working...

Guest teknologist
i have switched to your solution with the performance governor too. i was running the ondemand governor with a modified threshold, but the phone got really sluggish after a day or so... i'll see what this can do, tbh i am off of the overclocking idea, don't see the advantages weigh out the disadvantages / effort...

Exactly !

Guest teknologist
good idea, combine it with a poll so people can vote whether it works or not, pretty sure it will run dead pretty fast when people voting not working...

Exactly again...plus only 3 people have been asking for it over a +10000 TCK installed... ;-)

Guest teknologist

Been using MCR 3.1Beta for a day and I can tell it's very very fast and responsive and no sluggishness/slowdowns at all with compcache enabled !

Is it me , or others are experiencing the same ? Are people who reported sluggishness with compcache, using MCR 3.1beta, how does it feel with compcache ?

Thanks Paul, this is definitely a huge improvement for the MCR ROM on Hero !

Edited by teknologist

Guest freeasabeer

I've been playing with 3.1 beta/rc since beta1 and I have to say the slowdowns look to have vanished. However the beta release cycle is so fast that I maybe never had enough time to reach the point where slowdowns start to appear.... So need to wait a bit to have a real feedback on this point!