21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

1.91 Teknologist kernel on Generic 2.73.405.66 ROM makes the phone perfect (also after few days), thank you! B)

I second that. The phone now flies. Almost got a speeding ticket. :)

Guest teknologist
Just noticed in MCR 3.2 that it contains a 1.92 Tek kernel. Care to share what has changed please.

Hi

1.92 is just a minor update to the ramdisk to prepare it for the MCR Settings app we are developing.

This app will let you toggle compache on the fly and many more...

Stay tuned !

Guest teknologist

To all those still experiencing sluggishness after a while I have completely solved these on my Hero and thought I'd share...

I removed 2 things:

The HTC clock widget from Home screen (replaced it by android standard which has no seconds display)

Last but not least, removed the Taskiller widget. Seems it goes wild after a while, using ~25% CPU for extended amount of time and periodically !

All sluggishness has disappeared and this is after 48H uptime !

Running with a 128MB compcache on MCR 3.2beta - TCK 1.92

Guest masterpfa
Hi

1.92 is just a minor update to the ramdisk to prepare it for the MCR Settings app we are developing.

This app will let you toggle compache on the fly and many more...

Stay tuned !

Hmmmm sounds interesting

OK guess we'll have to wait the next kitchen update?

:)

To all those still experiencing sluggishness after a while I have completely solved these on my Hero and thought I'd share...

I removed 2 things:

The HTC clock widget from Home screen (replaced it by android standard which has no seconds display)

Last but not least, removed the Taskiller widget. Seems it goes wild after a while, using ~25% CPU for extended amount of time and periodically !

All sluggishness has disappeared and this is after 48H uptime !

Running with a 128MB compcache on MCR 3.2beta - TCK 1.92

Hi all,

my experience is that it's not the taskiller widget which kills your CPU and causes laggyness, but the TasKiller process running in background. you can have taskiller widget on you screen, but always remember to kill taskiller process after you use it. (you can easily check cpu use with 'top | grep TasKiller' command). anyways i have already contacted Taskiller's developer about the topic and he answered 'taskiller must run in background to use autokill. This feature consume cpu.' (sic.) my autokill is turned off and taskiller still consumes the same amount of cpu.

anyways i still keep taskiller to see how mutch free mem i have and to kill those non-wanted processes. if you have a good recommendation to a better task killer and/or system monitorin app (with widgets) i would make the switch.

sry. for my bad english.

Edit: Process manager seems to be a good alternative. eats no cpu, has a nice widget.

Edited by RatSon

teknologist: first up, great work dude :)

I have a question though, regarding the 'usb/sync' issue that some people (including myself) have been having. When you've changed some of the elements of the kernel, I don't suppose you've come across anything that changes nvram or other flashram settings to do with power saving, syncing or usb behavior?

links regarding issue :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...4/no-adb-no-sd/

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...nothing-at-all/

Guest teknologist
teknologist: first up, great work dude :)

I have a question though, regarding the 'usb/sync' issue that some people (including myself) have been having. When you've changed some of the elements of the kernel, I don't suppose you've come across anything that changes nvram or other flashram settings to do with power saving, syncing or usb behavior?

links regarding issue :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...4/no-adb-no-sd/

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...nothing-at-all/

Not at all... In fact I haven't changed the source itself since the first releases and my changes don't have anything to do with USB. Just tweaked the setup.

SD mounting works and has always worked like a charm here. I don't use HTCSync.

Maybe it's got something to do with new ROMs.

Does it work for you on earlier MCR releases ?

BTW in the posts you linked people are also having the issue in RA recovery which uses its own kernel ! So you see there is no relation to TCK....maybe it's the hardware usb ports failing....

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
Hi all,

my experience is that it's not the taskiller widget which kills your CPU and causes laggyness, but the TasKiller process running in background. you can have taskiller widget on you screen, but always remember to kill taskiller process after you use it. (you can easily check cpu use with 'top | grep TasKiller' command). anyways i have already contacted Taskiller's developer about the topic and he answered 'taskiller must run in background to use autokill. This feature consume cpu.' (sic.) my autokill is turned off and taskiller still consumes the same amount of cpu.

anyways i still keep taskiller to see how mutch free mem i have and to kill those non-wanted processes. if you have a good recommendation to a better task killer and/or system monitorin app (with widgets) i would make the switch.

sry. for my bad english.

Edit: Process manager seems to be a good alternative. eats no cpu, has a nice widget.

Yep it's exactly what I meant. In fact the widget makes Taskiller stay in the background, hence the sluggishness....but of course it also applies to using taskiller manually and not killing it after use...

[EDIT] Tried ProcessManager and I am very happy so far ! widget is great too and as it doesn't auto refresh it doesn't kill CPU/battery ! :-)

Also my battery now lasts as long as 72Hours !!!! amazing !

Edited by teknologist

Not at all... In fact I haven't changed the source itself since the first releases and my changes don't have anything to do with USB. Just tweaked the setup.

SD mounting works and has always worked like a charm here. I don't use HTCSync.

Maybe it's got something to do with new ROMs.

Does it work for you on earlier MCR releases ?

BTW in the posts you linked people are also having the issue in RA recovery which uses its own kernel ! So you see there is no relation to TCK....maybe it's the hardware usb ports failing....

I tried reverting to stock MCR, I thought it might be something that is being set at a low level but that you may have seen in the source is all. Worth a shot :) It could be the USB but if you go into FASTBOOT it still comes up as 'usb' if you connect it to a computer. Bit weird.

Guest teknologist
I tried reverting to stock MCR, I thought it might be something that is being set at a low level but that you may have seen in the source is all. Worth a shot :) It could be the USB but if you go into FASTBOOT it still comes up as 'usb' if you connect it to a computer. Bit weird.

So does it work with stock kernel or not ?

So does it work with stock kernel or not ?

No, as per a lot of other users, even going back to stock (or downgrading) doesn't fix the problem. pulse dug something out about stuff being set somewhere in nvram but we don't know where atm.

Yep it's exactly what I meant. In fact the widget makes Taskiller stay in the background, hence the sluggishness....but of course it also applies to using taskiller manually and not killing it after use...

[EDIT] Tried ProcessManager and I am very happy so far ! widget is great too and as it doesn't auto refresh it doesn't kill CPU/battery ! :-)

Also my battery now lasts as long as 72Hours !!!! amazing !

i am glad i could help.

anyways i have a technological question: if i understand right ramzswap is an automatically compressed ramdisk swap volume. (un)compressing data eats cpu, and is a little bit slow, but i see that's the price of having more ram available.

In my case i could never ever fill the half of my swap space, neither after running large applications and keeping them running in background. so any ways there must be a reason you prefer 100mb+ space, could you describe me why?

i am also curious what your experiences are about swapping. is there no noticable overhead of compression?

sorry if you have already answered these, i hope you can point me to the right direction.

thank you for your answers in advance.

Guest eddablin

In response to some of the earlier posts in this thread about boot loops, try this it worked for me:

I had Modaco 3.1 with a EXT3 partition on my SD card, working for ages. I updated to EXT4 without changing anything else and got boot loops. I tried a few things without wiping or restoring and found that the only thing that worked was to do another upgrade ext2 to ext3. For some reason it then loaded and my apps work fine. Also, my phone is now rediculously fat, although that might be because I updated to MCR3.2b3 (afterwards).

Guest teknologist
i am glad i could help.

anyways i have a technological question: if i understand right ramzswap is an automatically compressed ramdisk swap volume. (un)compressing data eats cpu, and is a little bit slow, but i see that's the price of having more ram available.

In my case i could never ever fill the half of my swap space, neither after running large applications and keeping them running in background. so any ways there must be a reason you prefer 100mb+ space, could you describe me why?

i am also curious what your experiences are about swapping. is there no noticable overhead of compression?

sorry if you have already answered these, i hope you can point me to the right direction.

thank you for your answers in advance.

The more the better and haven't seen any downside or performance impact on my side. (I do reach 100Mb compressed ram here and no performance impact)

compression at the kernel level and lzo is rather inexpensive so I do think the difference is not noticeable, especially because other things in android are far more CPU intensive than lzo compression.

All this is IMHO !

Experience yourself and choose whatever you prefer.

[EDIT] you may have the impression you never reach more than half of ramzswap max compressed ram, but android kills apps when free ram is low, so unless you periodically check /proc/ramzswap you may have the feeling you never reach it.

Edited by teknologist

The more the better and haven't seen any downside or performance impact on my side. (I do reach 100Mb compressed ram here and no performance impact)

compression at the kernel level and lzo is rather inexpensive so I do think the difference is not noticeable, especially because other things in android are far more CPU intensive than lzo compression.

All this is IMHO !

Experience yourself and choose whatever you prefer.

[EDIT] you may have the impression you never reach more than half of ramzswap max compressed ram, but android kills apps when free ram is low, so unless you periodically check /proc/ramzswap you may have the feeling you never reach it.

what do free ram exactly mean? free real ram or free swap or free real+swap. i just thought that if ram is running out, the kernel has to swap, and maybe it is not so fine, but i trust your experience, i was just curious.

thank you for your answer.

Guest teknologist
what do free ram exactly mean? free real ram or free swap or free real+swap. i just thought that if ram is running out, the kernel has to swap, and maybe it is not so fine, but i trust your experience, i was just curious.

thank you for your answer.

free ram+swap

Also remember 130MB is the maximum amount of real RAM to be compressed and. Anyway if you have any doubts on the performance impact, try MCR 3.2b3 (it has 130MB Ramzswap as the last stable MCR 3.1) you'll see how fast the thing is and this probably closes all ongoing discussions saying that ramzswap brings sluggishness ! Really try it, you will be amazed ! It's hyper speedy and responsive and this also over time (24Hrs+)

IMHO this is Final proof that the sluggishness/speed issues came from the software and not the kernel !

[EDIT]

Anyone experiencing sluggishness should definitely read the second post on this topic and check for rogue apps.

Edited by teknologist

free ram+swap

Also remember 130MB is the maximum amount of real RAM to be compressed and. Anyway if you have any doubts on the performance impact, try MCR 3.2b3 (it has 130MB Ramzswap as the last stable MCR 3.1) you'll see how fast the thing is and this probably closes all ongoing discussions saying that ramzswap brings sluggishness ! Really try it, you will be amazed ! It's hyper speedy and responsive and this also over time (24Hrs+)

IMHO this is Final proof that the sluggishness/speed issues came from the software and not the kernel !

[EDIT]

Anyone experiencing sluggishness should definitely read the second post on this topic and check for rogue apps.

i am using 3.2 since it is released, and i am very pleased with the speed, my question was only theroretical, so i wanted to know a bit more details of your experiences.

thank you :)

Guest teknologist
i am using 3.2 since it is released, and i am very pleased with the speed, my question was only theroretical, so i wanted to know a bit more details of your experiences.

thank you :)

The last beta 3.2b3 makes really a huge difference !