Potential for upgrade to Android 2 (aka Eclair)???

Guest pulser

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while, but saw this http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352843/google-...ashes-android-2 and wondered what the chances of porting Android 2 to the Pulse are.

I presume that once the kernel source is available for any mods that were made by T-Mobile/Huawei, it would be possible to release a 'Pulse ROM' which would be similar to the existing software in appearance and customisation (ie. with any T-Mobile improvements).

Alternatively, what is the likelyhood that there will be an official Huawei/T-Mobile update. The reason I mention this second is that from personal experience, major software updates tend not to be backported to devices. With 1.6 released, and no immediate sign of an update for the Pulse, it gives me a bad feeling about future official update support.

This is the one thing that is holding me off buying this phone at the moment. If it will be given the cold shoulder, and a community mod is not possible for some reason (I don't know much about Android, but my Linux experience tells me that it should be possible), I probably won't buy it.

Oh, and sorry if I got anyone's hopes up - I hope I made it clear this was not an 'I've done it' or anything else like that.

PS. I've tried to find out where to download the official Android images/source, and have the SDK, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I know that Google release source code so it can be compiled for any device, but is the necessary information 'out there' in order to compile a vanilla ROM from source. Just thinking about potential for community updates.

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while, but saw this http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352843/google-...ashes-android-2 and wondered what the chances of porting Android 2 to the Pulse are.

I presume that once the kernel source is available for any mods that were made by T-Mobile/Huawei, it would be possible to release a 'Pulse ROM' which would be similar to the existing software in appearance and customisation (ie. with any T-Mobile improvements).

Alternatively, what is the likelyhood that there will be an official Huawei/T-Mobile update. The reason I mention this second is that from personal experience, major software updates tend not to be backported to devices. With 1.6 released, and no immediate sign of an update for the Pulse, it gives me a bad feeling about future official update support.

This is the one thing that is holding me off buying this phone at the moment. If it will be given the cold shoulder, and a community mod is not possible for some reason (I don't know much about Android, but my Linux experience tells me that it should be possible), I probably won't buy it.

Oh, and sorry if I got anyone's hopes up - I hope I made it clear this was not an 'I've done it' or anything else like that.

PS. I've tried to find out where to download the official Android images/source, and have the SDK, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I know that Google release source code so it can be compiled for any device, but is the necessary information 'out there' in order to compile a vanilla ROM from source. Just thinking about potential for community updates.

From what ive seen on my G1 and the dev on that we would need an awful lot that we dont have. The Kernal source hasnt been published yet, we are attempting to get this, once thats in hand then some proper system changes can be made. As far as im aware only the SDK for Android 2.0 has been released not the source yet (im taking this from cyanogen expressing that he couldnt do jack with 2.0 until the code was out).

cheers,

Jon

From what ive seen on my G1 and the dev on that we would need an awful lot that we dont have. The Kernal source hasnt been published yet, we are attempting to get this, once thats in hand then some proper system changes can be made. As far as im aware only the SDK for Android 2.0 has been released not the source yet (im taking this from cyanogen expressing that he couldnt do jack with 2.0 until the code was out).

cheers,

Jon

Yeah. I agree on the kernel source being the major problem. It seems clear cut to me that they should release it, but as we all know, (should != will).

I have since discovered that the SDK is not the source (I got a bit misled by some of the claims of the wonderous 'Android 2.0' and forgot that the SDK isn't the source. I have since found the official source website at source.android.com, so will keep an eye out there in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply. At least there might be hope for the pulse...

Greg

I know what you mean, by the looks of things we might (fingers crossed) get our hand on the kernal code, once in hand then the world is your oyster!

Have to give a big shout out to Paul though, if it was for his efforts the pulse might of been a major waste of time, at least now we have a rooted rom and a custom recovery image, makes things easier for the end user.

now all eyeballs out for kernal source! - personally id like to see cyanogen's rom ported (if thats even possible at all!)

Guest Pyrazol

Well I've sent an e-mail to the (German) T-Mobile Support and asked them if we would get either Donut, Eclair or both. They have yet to respond. (Plus provider support is usually so bad that might as well not exist. I expect a response like "We can't say atm" - but you never know.)

What I want to say, though: the partitioning of the Pulse's internal storage is much better than that of the G1. /system is about 85 MB IIRC, that 25 MB more than the G1 has. That certainly makes it possible for them to get us Android updates that the G1 won't get (the /system partition being the limiting factor). I really hope they will give us those updates.

What I want to say, though: the partitioning of the Pulse's internal storage is much better than that of the G1. /system is about 85 MB IIRC, that 25 MB more than the G1 has. That certainly makes it possible for them to get us Android updates that the G1 won't get (the /system partition being the limiting factor). I really hope they will give us those updates.

Now that i did not know! - Heard along the grape vine that the G1 will get Android 2.0 (yet to be confirmed by tombile though) that will be the last update for the G1 as far as i can tell the internal memory is too limited.

Guest Pyrazol
Now that i did not know! - Heard along the grape vine that the G1 will get Android 2.0 (yet to be confirmed by tombile though) that will be the last update for the G1 as far as i can tell the internal memory is too limited.

That's certainly possible... 1.6 almost filled the G1's /system up to the brim. I imagine it won't take them long until they have Android above 60 MB.

Edit: Okay, I remembered incorrectly - the G1 has 70 MB of /system, not 60. Still, 15 MB more on the Pulse.

Edited by Pyrazol