O2/Vodafone network share fully operational

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_28-Oct-2009_Mast(1).jpg

Cornerstone, the company managing the O2 and Vodafone network share, is now fully operational with over 100 sites live or under construction.

Cornerstone may invite tenders for the management of the two networks’ sites soon.

In March, O2 and Vodafone announced a deal to share network assets across Europe, which was exclusively revealed by Mobile.

O2 parent Telefónica and Vodafone will use the agreement, which is expected to save ‘hundreds of millions of pounds’ over the next 10 years, to aid the roll out of their networks.

In the UK, both companies will focus on the joint build of new sites and consolidation of existing 2G and 3G sites. In the latest move, Cornerstone is considering putting a tender out for the maintenance of the two networks’ sites, to take place in January, Mobile understands.

So what does it mean for customers? I would say you will have better coverage and I would suspect you could pigyback each other's network if one goes down.

Wonder what will Orange & T-Mobile do?

[Via: Mobile Exec]

• 8 months later...
Guest humph12345
thumb_28-Oct-2009_Mast(1).jpg

Cornerstone, the company managing the O2 and Vodafone network share, is now fully operational with over 100 sites live or under construction.

So what does it mean for customers? I would say you will have better coverage and I would suspect you could pigyback each other's network if one goes down.

Wonder what will Orange & T-Mobile do?

[Via: Mobile Exec]

Cornerstone is only site sharing, so if they have two sites close together, they will move say Vodafone equipment into the O2 cabin, they will not share networks. It is about saving cost for them and will not lead to better coverage than already exists. It will not lead to piggy backing either. The project is about reducing cost and not about improving customer service.

I was until recently working in Vodafone on the Cornerstone project.

I would put money on either O2 or Vodafone launching a take over of 3 within the next 6 months.

Edited by humph12345

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.