HTC Tattoo on Orange

Guest hp1

Hi. I am looking at getting this from on Orange too. Can someone tell me if aswell have having a pin lock on entering the phone - can you also lock individual apps on the phone. For instance can you have security on SMS Messages - so that you need to enter a pin or something to get into SMS?

Thanks

Yes to the pink lock, never seen an app that can be locked unless there is another app that will let you do it.

Hi. I am looking at getting this from on Orange too. Can someone tell me if aswell have having a pin lock on entering the phone - can you also lock individual apps on the phone. For instance can you have security on SMS Messages - so that you need to enter a pin or something to get into SMS?

Thanks

Yes to the pin lock, never seen an app that can be locked unless there is another app that will let you do it.

Guest EddersC
Orange Haven't even bothered to reply to my question, not that surprised to be honest. I'd still like to get Gmail working on the phone. I've set up Exchange activesync with the HTC Mail app but its pretty flaky.

Orange have actually be reasonably good at getting back to me, but always with empty apologies and no action... They haven't yet acknowledged that the issue is theirs, or even shown they've understood it. I shall keep badgering them until they tell me how they're going to fix it. The more people who badger them the better, I reckon.... :)

Guest removed-14
It worked or appears so! Thanks again.

Errr forget that. It has downloaded all the mail but new mail it doesn't want to get. I've tried setting it to 5 mins, instant, manual sync etc... and nothing. Is there something i'm missing?

Errr forget that. It has downloaded all the mail but new mail it doesn't want to get. I've tried setting it to 5 mins, instant, manual sync etc... and nothing. Is there something i'm missing?

The fact that it retreived mail means you have the settings correct. Right at the top of the sync timimgs should be 'as mail arrives' or something like that. Your new mail should obviously just arrive to your phone almost immediately after it arrives on the gmail server.

I remember we had a a small issue with my girlfriends account when we first set it up, try a quick reboot of the phone and then send yourself an email, fingers crossed it arrives.

Guest removed-14
The fact that it retreived mail means you have the settings correct. Right at the top of the sync timimgs should be 'as mail arrives' or something like that. Your new mail should obviously just arrive to your phone almost immediately after it arrives on the gmail server.

I remember we had a a small issue with my girlfriends account when we first set it up, try a quick reboot of the phone and then send yourself an email, fingers crossed it arrives.

Funny that, this is my girl friends phone too! Mine is a Magic without stupid &*&^%*%^ Orange branding! Tried a reboot and no go, tried as mail arrives option and nothing. It just wont download new mail. Just trying it IMAP settings now. No instant arrive but every 5 mins should be frequently enough she thinks. Hopefully someone will be able to get the REAL google mail app onto this phone soon. I'm not happy with Orange removing the google apps. I'd pay money to get them back for her.

Funny that, this is my girl friends phone too! Mine is a Magic without stupid &*&^%*%^ Orange branding! Tried a reboot and no go, tried as mail arrives option and nothing. It just wont download new mail. Just trying it IMAP settings now. No instant arrive but every 5 mins should be frequently enough she thinks. Hopefully someone will be able to get the REAL google mail app onto this phone soon. I'm not happy with Orange removing the google apps. I'd pay money to get them back for her.

Thats weird cos it works on ours, though as mentioned above, its not reliable, as you're finding out. Yeah fingers crossed for proper Gmail.

Guest removed-14

IMAP is working fine but when she gets a new e-mail the notification goes nuts and wont shut up until she looks at her e-mail. Anyone else had this?

And any news on a working Google Mail app?

Guest Ilkin Jamalli
Has anyone tried InstantRoot or asroot2 on this device? If we can get root we can flash a generic ROM.

P

I tried one but did not work with asroot2 with below error:

$ mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

mount: Operation not permitted

any unixoids who can help?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EddersC
Hopefully someone will be able to get the REAL google mail app onto this phone soon. I'm not happy with Orange removing the google apps. I'd pay money to get them back for her.

I've been badgering Orange for some time on this, and finally got an acknowledgement of the issue (with the same response as tonyyeb). Removing the apps was a "business decision," which they're not going to justify. There's no evidence they're going to issue any software upgrade, and I've requested a report to management of widespread customer dissatisfaction... I can't see any way of taking it further, other than a written complaint.

To Orange's credit, they did allow this issue to count as a fault, so you can return a handset and cancel your contract even after the 7-day cool off period. So if you're unhappy, call Orange, report the fault, and post your handset back. I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered to withdraw my business from Orange over this...

Well luckily my GF doesn't really use email a lot and so the its not a big deal for her. As posted above I've used gmail exchange settings with HTCs app which is good enough for her. It doesn't excuse Oranges appalling behaviour. I'm struggling to understand the benefit to them as a company in removing these apps?

The only way out I can see is if someone manages to root the device and a custom rom with those apps can be installed.

Guest Ilkin Jamalli
Not sure if anyone has seen this:

http://androidforums.com/htc-tattoo/20498-...-orange-uk.html

I'm not brave enough to try it (well its not my phone). Seems to work for the most part

Hehe looks like my post.

I bought Tattoo of ebay and was pissed of knowing it is locked to Orange.

Guys it is working BUT still remains locked to Orange as radio not flashed by ROMing. We need rooted ROM to properly re-flash it.

:D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest peteriron

Hi,

I don't know if it is allowed to talk about unlocking the phone. I have bought a HTC Tattoo (Click) Orange UK from Ebay. Thinking it would be do-able to unlock, I find myself 4 days afterwards at the end of possibilities.

I bought a unlock code at HTCCode.com as advertised in this forum but with little succes. The phone is rooted and installed with the R2 Custom Modaco rom.

After boot, I enter the sim code, afterwards the sim unlock code, it boots to the main dashboard but I never get access to my network provider. When I reboot, the whole procedure repeats itself ...

Thanks to anybody who can assist.

PS. Getting to this point was also quite an experience. For anyone who might be interested. I'm willing to write that down.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ilkin Jamalli
Hi,

I don't know if it is allowed to talk about unlocking the phone. I have bought a HTC Tattoo (Click) Orange UK from Ebay. Thinking it would be do-able to unlock, I find myself 4 days afterwards at the end of possibilities.

I bought a unlock code at HTCCode.com as advertised in this forum but with little succes. The phone is rooted and installed with the R2 Custom Modaco rom.

After boot, I enter the sim code, afterwards the sim unlock code, it boots to the main dashboard but I never get access to my network provider. When I reboot, the whole procedure repeats itself ...

Thanks to anybody who can assist.

PS. Getting to this point was also quite an experience. For anyone who might be interested. I'm willing to write that down.

I have passed exatcly same step begining from ebay and requesting refund for not working code from htccode.com. Your next step would be is to buy an unlock code from Orange after being with Orange for three month but do not bother as they will sell you exactly the same code as HTCCODE.com then it will take several month to get refund back. Orange says that they have escalated it to HTC itself.

Use iSmartSim and relax until a wise guy will figure out how to hack radio module of tattoo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Yequan

I understand why orange may not want to be forced to the standard Gmail application package ... but I do not understand who the advantages, it will be blocked from Google to download it ...