Pulse won't boot

Guest ndot

Hi,

My phone is a retail version without any modifications to the rom. I was using the phone one night and it crashed, I restarted it and it now never goes past the black screen which says "ANDROID". I'm not really sure what to do. Please advise me.

Only thing i noticed before it crashed was that it constantly had a low disk space notification.

Thank You

You could fastboot the recovery image (as detailed in the recovery image topic, use 'boot' instead of 'flash' in the fastboot command) then use the wipe option, that should sort you out without making any changes to the device.

P

You could fastboot the recovery image (as detailed in the recovery image topic, use 'boot' instead of 'flash' in the fastboot command) then use the wipe option, that should sort you out without making any changes to the device.

P

Do you mean change this line in the bat file:

fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img

so it reads as

fastboot-windows.exe boot recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img

EDIT : That does't seem to do anything.

Edited by ndot

Do you mean change this line in the bat file:

fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img

so it reads as

fastboot-windows.exe boot recovery recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img

EDIT : That does't seem to do anything.

Ok I figuried it out. I ran this command.

fastboot-windows.exe boot boot.img

I got the boot.img file from http://content.modaco.net/pulse/update-pul...bile-signed.zip

Phone works fine now

Argh, my phone just died in the exact same way. I've tried flashing both the boot.img in that file, and superboot.img. Neither had any effect. This is pretty s***, considering all I did was let the phone run out of batteries.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd rather not lose all my data...

You should be able to turn the phone on in fastboot (volume down, end call, power) and do 'fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img' to load the recovery image, from which you can flash an image or just wipe? Something you installed has likely screwed the boot up!

P

Well I managed to 'recover' it. If you count losing all my data (luckily there wasn't much) as a recovery. This should never have happened in the first place and frankly it's shoddy that it did. All I did between my phone working, and not working, is let it run out of batteries. Does anyone know if this is an android problem or specific to the Pulse?

It's obviously quite common given that about four people have asked questions about it, and the pulse has only been around for about a month.

Anyway, here's my coherent guide to getting things back:

1. If you can't boot your device then the only way to get into the recovery screen is to download the recovery image (this is a small boot-loader type piece of software) via fastboot and run it directly. I.e. there's no point actually flashing it to your phone.

To do this, download the Amon-RA recovery image in the other thread and run ./fastboot-whatever boot the_recovery_image_you_just_downloaded.img. Obviously you have to have connected your phone in fastboot mode. I could only get this to work in linux - didn't work in windows for some reason.

2. In the recovery mode. First select Wipe, (the factory reset one). It will erase all of your data.

3. Next select the enable USB mass storage mode.

4. Now copy the signed-update-pulse-whatever-its-called.zip file to the SD card (which should have appeared as a USB drive on your computer).

5. Finally select update (choose zip) on your phone and select the zip file you just copied.

Your phone should now be as you bought it, without root either.

Grrr. On the plus side I now understand how android works much better...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miltonpulse
You should be able to turn the phone on in fastboot (volume down, end call, power) and do 'fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.2.3.img' to load the recovery image, from which you can flash an image or just wipe? Something you installed has likely screwed the boot up!

P

i do this and it comes up serial number unknown

Guest miltonpulse
Well I managed to 'recover' it. If you count losing all my data (luckily there wasn't much) as a recovery. This should never have happened in the first place and frankly it's shoddy that it did. All I did between my phone working, and not working, is let it run out of batteries. Does anyone know if this is an android problem or specific to the Pulse?

It's obviously quite common given that about four people have asked questions about it, and the pulse has only been around for about a month.

Anyway, here's my coherent guide to getting things back:

1. If you can't boot your device then the only way to get into the recovery screen is to download the recovery image (this is a small boot-loader type piece of software) via fastboot and run it directly. I.e. there's no point actually flashing it to your phone.

To do this, download the Amon-RA recovery image in the other thread and run ./fastboot-whatever boot the_recovery_image_you_just_downloaded.img. Obviously you have to have connected your phone in fastboot mode. I could only get this to work in linux - didn't work in windows for some reason.

2. In the recovery mode. First select Wipe, (the factory reset one). It will erase all of your data.

3. Next select the enable USB mass storage mode.

4. Now copy the signed-update-pulse-whatever-its-called.zip file to the SD card (which should have appeared as a USB drive on your computer).

5. Finally select update (choose zip) on your phone and select the zip file you just copied.

Your phone should now be as you bought it, without root either.

Grrr. On the plus side I now understand how android works much better...

Do you need the disc that come with the phone?

No. Use the signed-update zip that is in another thread somewhere. Also mine has always said it has an unknown serial number. I don't think they bothered to set them, which is a bit annoying because it means adb doesn't quite work properly.