Screen lock and Pattern Lock

Guest T39andcounting

Guest T39andcounting

Hi,

I've turned on the pattern lock to give my Hero some added security, but now when I turn on I need to unlock the screen then put in the pattern. This seems redundant... the pattern lock effectively prevents accidental button press, but I can't see an option to turn the screen lock off. Is there anywhere? Or an app that does this?

Maybe i just haven't looked in the right place!

Thanks

Hi,

I've turned on the pattern lock to give my Hero some added security, but now when I turn on I need to unlock the screen then put in the pattern. This seems redundant... the pattern lock effectively prevents accidental button press, but I can't see an option to turn the screen lock off. Is there anywhere? Or an app that does this?

Maybe i just haven't looked in the right place!

Thanks

IMHO screenlock is for not accidently pushing on the screen;

and pattern lock is security for stolen devices...

If you (accidently) use the wrong pattern more than 3 times, it gets locked, and you can only unlock your device online (regarding the description, i did not want to test this out...) -- so i don't think it would be good to use pattern lock without screen lock.

IMHO screenlock is for not accidently pushing on the screen;

and pattern lock is security for stolen devices...

If you (accidently) use the wrong pattern more than 3 times, it gets locked, and you can only unlock your device online (regarding the description, i did not want to test this out...) -- so i don't think it would be good to use pattern lock without screen lock.

lol sure, and your daddy has to sign a letter from the teacher... :D

you got 5 tries, after that you have to wait for 30 seconds...

edit: you can also login with your google account to reset the combination. once you clicked on "forgot combination" you HAVE to enter your google account, there is no way back (didn't try to pull the batt though).

edit2: after 5 wrong tries you have to wait 30 secs, after that you have to wait 30 after every wrong try.

Edited by kendon

lol sure, and your daddy has to sign a letter from the teacher... :D

you got 5 tries, after that you have to wait for 30 seconds...

edit: you can also login with your google account to reset the combination. once you clicked on "forgot combination" you HAVE to enter your google account, there is no way back (didn't try to pull the batt though).

edit2: after 5 wrong tries you have to wait 30 secs, after that you have to wait 30 after every wrong try.

ok, i didnt test it out, so i am sorry for the wrong information. The info i tried to give is: pattern lock is no alternative to screen lock imho

ok, i didnt test it out, so i am sorry for the wrong information. The info i tried to give is: pattern lock is no alternative to screen lock imho

no problem :D

it is like it has been said: the screenlock is like a keylock, to prevent accidental key/screenpresses, the pattern is to prevent misusage and people sneaking through your phone...

Guest T39andcounting

I guess I see the point here, but it's a tad annoying. I've had a similar setup on phones before (for example a Blackberry) where the password works as the screen lock. Perhaps it's more of an issue because it's a pattern rather than typing in some numbers.

Guest pillock
I guess I see the point here, but it's a tad annoying. I've had a similar setup on phones before (for example a Blackberry) where the password works as the screen lock. Perhaps it's more of an issue because it's a pattern rather than typing in some numbers.

I agree, it's a tad annoying to have to swipe the lockscreen down and then put my pattern in.... would be quicker to press End to turn the screen on, and then be straight at the pattern lock.

However I've been persevering with it, and am finding more and more that the lock screen info is useful in that I don't have to always get to the home screen.... it shows missed calls, status of email/sms and the time which is all I usually unlock to see.

I've stopped using the pattern lock as I find it a bit of a nuisance. Each time my phone locks it needs to be entered. IMHO, a better system would be like the SIM Lock (on boot up) which requires a pin. Also, a time delay on activating the lock once the phone is in standby i.e. 15mins would be an advantage.

I've tried Lock 2.0 (from market) but uninstalled after about 30 seconds. According to the dev, if you forget your pin just reboot and uninstall!

Download Autolock from Market, you can set your own standby time. Works perfectly!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I stupidly put the pattern few times incorrectly and now Iam asked to put google account which I never signed in on the mobile before.

every time I reboot phone it asks me forgoofgle password and login. I put the info in but it doesnt log in

is there any way back with this?

Hello,

I stupidly put the pattern few times incorrectly and now Iam asked to put google account which I never signed in on the mobile before.

every time I reboot phone it asks me forgoofgle password and login. I put the info in but it doesnt log in

is there any way back with this?

search for it here and on xda-devs, there where threads about this. there were some "hacks", but afaik they don't work always... good luck.

Guest dwattsy21

On the subject of lock, i found today that when the screen is locked, instead of dragging the screen down to unlock it, you can just push the menu button. This could explain the few random times when my phone has inexplicably worked its way through some menus in my pocket... and seems a bit poo as it is easily unlocked in your pocket

• 1 month later...
Guest Lliwynd

Hey all,

I had a similar problem to this, but I solved it a little differently. The first thing I did was to try to stop myself from needing to unlock the phone as often. I found I was often unlocking the phone just to look at a widget (I have Pure Calendar Widget - it's great). That, together with the pattern lock is a hassle. So I followed the instructions for a clear lock screen (save a png that is transparent as /data/misc/lockscreen/lock_screen_port and it will be used as your lockscreen wallpaper). That makes the widgets on my home screen show through the lock screen - I don't have to unlock to see them, just if I want to do something more.

I also find screebl useful. It stops my phone from locking when I'm using it. I prefer it to autoLock (which no longer appears free in the market for me anyway), although they could be used together I guess. With screebl I can set my timeout to 15 seconds and still everything works well.

Lliwynd, can you elaborate on the transparent .png location and filename? When I go to the dir with Root Explorer I cannot copy the weird file I see. I fogrot the filename but the details tab said something about a .jpg file being inside/underneath?

Guest sjoerdos92

The screen can also be unlocked by the menu key (not the pattern lock ofcourse but the screenlock), does anyone know how to disable this? In my pocket some keys get pushed by accident and often i find myself taking my phone out of my pocket already locked because of the menu key :/