GPS On HTC Hero

Guest PeanutButterJellyTime

Guest PeanutButterJellyTime

Say I was to buy Co-Pilot GPS.

Would I be charged data charges by my provider

Edited by PeanutButterJellyTime

Guest griffog

No, the maps are 'on-board' i.e. on your storage card and there is no charge for GPS.

The only GPS apps that have a fee are 'off-board' solutions where the map data is downloaded over the air. CoPilot is not one of these so once you have bought the app there are no further charges.

Guest griffog

Correct, GPS is free, always was, always will be. The entire service is run by the US Military and access to GPS signals is free of any charge.

The only time there is a charge is those apps that operate on a subscription and deliver maps over the air. CoPilot is not one of them.

Correct, GPS is free, always was, always will be. The entire service is run by the US Military and access to GPS signals is free of any charge.

The only time there is a charge is those apps that operate on a subscription and deliver maps over the air. CoPilot is not one of them.

should one pay attention to the a-gps? i never really understood whether it uses a data connection to get the "assisted" information, or if the data is provided by the network "for free"...?

A-GPS would use data but it's a tiny amount.

hm that can backfire... some providers charge you a daily fee for gprs usage, plus (example germany: 1,90€/1MB) 20€cent because it is billed as block of 100kb and the block ends with the hour. turn your gps on 3 times a day and you pay 1€...

• 1 month later...
Either turn A-GPS off or disable data? It's not required. Does the Hero even have A-GPS?

Does the HTC Hero have a real GPS? or just an A-GPS?

If I don't have a data plan and want to use the GPS, will I be able?

Guest griffog
Does the HTC Hero have a real GPS? or just an A-GPS?

If I don't have a data plan and want to use the GPS, will I be able?

A-GPS is a real GPS, it just supplements it with data downloaded from a server to speed up satellite lock under some circumstances.

The GPS works regardless of a data plan, it'll work even without a SIM card.

A-GPS is a real GPS, it just supplements it with data downloaded from a server to speed up satellite lock under some circumstances.

The GPS works regardless of a data plan, it'll work even without a SIM card.

Sweet!

I live in montreal and data plan at the moment is really a rip off... so is voice plan in general! A data plan for 500MB cost 30$CDN per month... so you can't have a data/voice plan for under 70$CDN /month

WiFi is everywhere tho :) heheh

Do you know if the Hero supports 3G in america (the plan prices might drop!)?

Also for the same price would you go for a Hero or a Touch Pro 2? (The keyboard is not really a requirement and I don't really care of windows vs Android (or should I?))

Guest Dan Mullen
Also for the same price would you go for a Hero or a Touch Pro 2? (The keyboard is not really a requirement and I don't really care of windows vs Android (or should I?))

Android all the way! :)

Android all the way! :)

ahahah ok ;)

I just found out that the Telus HTC Hero is actually running on the company's new GSM network so I can basically by it from them and unlock it to use it with Rogers B) and it will work with 3G

I can get it for cheaper from Telus with that! SOLD B)

Guest stevenz

A-GPS isn't GPS as such as it doesn't get any info direct from the satellites, it uses known position of cell towers to triangulate a rough position for it to start from by downloading information (via GPRS/EDGE, whatever) from the network to help obtain and maintain a location. It'll supposedly provide the phone with the info on what satellites should be able to provide good details to you based on where you are. If you leave data turned off, then the phone won't use A-GPS and the main issue will be that getting an accurate GPS lock will take another few seconds, not a biggy. The GPS signal is floating around in the air for anyone to use freely, the only thing you need to pay for is a device to receive it and potentially the maps for the device to display.

Would be nice if the Android googlemaps app would cache the data better cos geez it chews through the bandwidth!

Guest Dan Mullen
A-GPS isn't GPS as such as it doesn't get any info direct from the satellites...

I'm not sure that's right - A-GPS is GPS with an extra feature to allow you to get a much quicker fix, if you want to use it. If you don't use the "assisted" feature, it still works the same as any other "standard" GPS.

Guest starfarer

But does Hero have A-GPS setting ie anyway to turn it on/off? I believe settings->Location->Enable GPS satellites is for GPS only. Also I can't seem to find any information about how many satellites it's connecting to (6 or 8)?

Guest Martyn.28
But does Hero have A-GPS setting ie anyway to turn it on/off? I believe settings->Location->Enable GPS satellites is for GPS only. Also I can't seem to find any information about how many satellites it's connecting to (6 or 8)?

Best way to be sure is download a program on your hero from market called 3g watchdog it will record how much data your handset sends and recives.

I Dont use Co-pilot that oftern so cant be sure.

Best way to be sure is download a program on your hero from market called 3g watchdog it will record how much data your handset sends and recives.

I Dont use Co-pilot that oftern so cant be sure.

IIRC,

The easiest way is to use the HTC mobile data widget which is included already to turn off the data, this applies to all apps, and stops any inadvertent use.

Also a-gps is real gps, the assisted aspect is that it will download an almanac that allows it to know where the satellites should be, hence speeding up getting a fix quite a bit. It may use your rough cell mast position to aid the almanac usage,but once you have a fix, you are on proper gps. Cell triangulation is way too inaccurate for navigation.

Guest comeflywithme
i dont see the point in buying copilot atm, since google nav will be on the hero soon when 2.1 is released.

Not everywhere or everyone have data plan.

Data access in my country is very expensive.

Google nav download maps on the air which you need to be connected all the time,

and it will be crazily expensive if you are using it in an oversea trip..

I am using NDRIVE by the way, it is an offline navigator and work well!

Edited by comeflywithme

Guest Dan Mullen
Not everywhere or everyone have data plan.

Data access in my country is very expensive.

Google nav download maps on the air which you need to be connected all the time,

and it will be crazily expensive if you are using it in an oversea trip..

I am using NDRIVE by the way, it is an offline navigator and work well!

I'm looking forward to seeing Google Maps with Navigation once we get 2.1, but it won't replace my CoPilot. I really rate CoPilot Live 8 and, as comeflywithme says, the maps are stored on your SD card so it doesn't use huge amounts of data.

Guest comeflywithme
I'm looking forward to seeing Google Maps with Navigation once we get 2.1, but it won't replace my CoPilot. I really rate CoPilot Live 8 and, as comeflywithme says, the maps are stored on your SD card so it doesn't use huge amounts of data.

I am agree that CoPilot is the best offline navigator on the droid currently,

but one reason why i am using NDRIVE is because it support asia maps, i am living in Singapore.

CoPilot still has no support for any asia map currently.. Really wish to use CoPilot here..

Edited by comeflywithme