The official HTC HD2 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

hd2front.jpg
This is the HTC HD2.

It's got a 4.3" CAPACITIVE screen. It's got a 1GHz Snapdragon processor. It's 11mm thick. It's running Windows Mobile 6.5 with Sense UI. It has MultiTouch. It has 512MB ROM and 448MB RAM. It has a microUSB socket, microSD expansion and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Mostly importantly, IT'S HERE!

I am going to be putting the device through it's paces ahead of a full review, and this is your chance to hit me up with any questions you might have (and I know there's going to be a LOT right?)

Fire away! :D

The HD2 is available from devicewire for £499.99 (shipping 11th November) or from eXpansys for £499.99 with £30 of vouchers, shipping 14th November.

The HD2 will also shortly be available on O2 and Vodafone from mobiles.co.uk as well as from T-Mobile direct.

P

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Can I have it? ;)

Beat me to it... :P

1) How does it feel size wise relative to other devices you have? (I have a Kaiser\Vario III - so really only interested relative to that :D !)

2) What is the on screen keyboard like?

Cheers

SF

Guest Swampie

How does the HD2 feel in your hand? I've used an iPaq 214 for some development at work, and that feels massive. Okay, the HD2 is about 1/2cm shorter, 1cm narrower and maybe half the thickness, but compared to my Kaiser it feels massive. Does the HD2 fit nicely into your hand without feeling oversized.

Similarly, is the HD2 usable in one hand - holding with one hand whilst scrolling etc. The iPhone is quite good at that, but it's quite a bit smaller I understand.

Thanks

Beat me to it... :P

1) How does it feel size wise relative to other devices you have? (I have a Kaiser\Vario III - so really only interested relative to that :D !)

2) What is the on screen keyboard like?

Cheers

SF

It doesn't feel hugely big, big yes, but not huge because it's so thin. That said, it IS wide (holding it for an extended period yesterday made my thumb ache), but I guess you'd get used to it!

The on screen keyboard is standard HTC fare, QWERTY, 20 key and 12 key, generally speaking excellent!

P

Guest tacchan23

I'm mostly interested in battery life too!

And how is screen visibility under sunlight? (I mean outside with sunny weather but still shadowing the screen a bit with your body... not really direct sunlight)

Edited by tacchan23

How does the HD2 feel in your hand? I've used an iPaq 214 for some development at work, and that feels massive. Okay, the HD2 is about 1/2cm shorter, 1cm narrower and maybe half the thickness, but compared to my Kaiser it feels massive. Does the HD2 fit nicely into your hand without feeling oversized.

Similarly, is the HD2 usable in one hand - holding with one hand whilst scrolling etc. The iPhone is quite good at that, but it's quite a bit smaller I understand.

Thanks

See above, I think you can just about reach the extremes with one hand, depending on the size of you hand obviously... :D

P

I'm mostly interested in battery life too!

And how is screen visibility under sunlight? (I mean outside with sunny weather but still shadowing the screen a bit with your body... not really direct sunlight)

I'll let you know next time it's sunny! :D

P

Guest tsutton

Can you make a short video of yourself doing some typing using the onscreen keyboard, i.e. SMS?

Need to see how easy to use it, compared with my MDA Vario III's slide out keyboard.

Cheers

i have one on pre order so def have some questions!

battery life is the obvious one

with the phone being so much bigger i assume the on screen keyboard is much easier to use?

is there alot of lag in the camera app? i have a htc hero at the moment and find the lag between hitting "shoot" and the pic being taken that unless the thing you are snapping is totally still the pics are aweful

is it as fast as the spec? lag anywhere anytime?

whats the windows app store like?

do you know if it will be upgradable to windows mob 7?

hero or hd2? :D

Also, if you have a way to compare it side to side with a Omnia2, how is the colors difference between AMOLED and non amoled screens?

Night and day, of course! Nothing beats the screen on my Omnia2... :D

P

Can you make a short video of yourself doing some typing using the onscreen keyboard, i.e. SMS?

Need to see how easy to use it, compared with my MDA Vario III's slide out keyboard.

Cheers

l'll be doing a video in a bit! :D

P

i have one on pre order so def have some questions!

battery life is the obvious one

with the phone being so much bigger i assume the on screen keyboard is much easier to use?

is there alot of lag in the camera app? i have a htc hero at the moment and find the lag between hitting "shoot" and the pic being taken that unless the thing you are snapping is totally still the pics are aweful

is it as fast as the spec? lag anywhere anytime?

whats the windows app store like?

do you know if it will be upgradable to windows mob 7?

hero or hd2? :D

- Battery life, too early to say

- On screen keyboard is great, yeah!

- There is NO camera lag at all, not a moment

- Feels very fast indeed

- Unknown, the rumours say yes, but I don't know

- Very different devices! WM or Android? Big device or small device? Each has their benefits...

P

Guest GodsGift

Paul,

Is the new Sense UI that much different?

I am a GUI freak and have seen the new X10 interface which looks nice. I had originally fallen in love with Sense UI (mainly due to the weather on the standby screen)

I want an interface which will blow people away. I am so shallow.

Oh and the 1GB cpu - is it that fast during day to day use?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

GG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.