The official HTC HD2 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

- Battery life, too early to say

- On screen keyboard is great, yeah!

- There is NO camera lag at all, not a moment

- Feels very fast indeed

- Unknown, the rumours say yes, but I don't know

- Very different devices! WM or Android? Big device or small device? Each has their benefits...

P

awesome thanks!! can't wait to get my hands on the handset. Silly last one - is the animated weather wall paper as cool as it looks and does it slow down the device when running?

Oh and last one - when you dowonload/instal apps does it save to the sd card?? or will we need to get an aps2sd type program?

thanks!!

Guest tacchan23
Night and day, of course! Nothing beats the screen on my Omnia2... :P

P

Mmmm, if you were to watch a movie or cartoon... you'd choose the bigger screen or the smaller screen with better colors? :D

Guest Shuflie

Can you run a test for me at some stage. Set up a few favorites in people, sync with myphone, hardreset and sync with myphone again. On the Leo based ROMs I've tried on my TD2 this hasn't exactly been perfect. Sometimes on the second sync it will remember who the favorites were but forget the default numbers and put them back in an order decided by itself. On other builds it completely forgets who the favorites were and then has lots of problems when you go to set them up again. It would be nice to see how the new messaging app deals with a large SMS database too, as that has been very flaky on the custom ROMs.

- there was lots of discussion about how much RAM is actually available - what does it say for "free memory" when it has just been turned on?

- does it feel like it will snap if you put it in your pocket and sat down! (esp your back pocket! :D )

Guest touficjohn

What is the GPS like?

Is it erratic like on the Vario 3? Where sometimes it gets a signal straight away and some times not at all?

Do TomTom, Co-Pilot and CamerAware run well on the HD2?

What is sound quality like when using the 3.5mm jack?

a few more q's!

does it support divx?

whats your feeling about winmo 6.5?

how's the app market on microsoft?

does is come with copilot uk pre installed?

sound quality for mp3s?

speaker phone quality?

does it shoot video as well as still images? quality?

hows the camera quality? with and without flash?

does it have a global search facility for the phone? like the....dare i say it...iphone 3gs?

how would YOU rate it vs the iphone 3gs?

will you at some point in the future teach us how to unlock and play with it like you did with the htc hero?

thanks Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and is the flash powerful or just a dim light like the blackberry's flash? my old little sony phone had such a good flash you could take perfect pics in the dark

What is the GPS like?

Is it erratic like on the Vario 3? Where sometimes it gets a signal straight away and some times not at all?

Do TomTom, Co-Pilot and CamerAware run well on the HD2?

What is sound quality like when using the 3.5mm jack?

I've only tested the GPS briefly with CamerAware and it's fine. CamerAware also runs fine, especially with the 6.5 optimised buidl coming shortly.

I'll test the headset for you shortly.

P

a few more q's!

does it support divx?

whats your feeling about winmo 6.5?

how's the app market on microsoft?

does is come with copilot uk pre installed?

sound quality for mp3s?

speaker phone quality?

does it shoot video as well as still images? quality?

hows the camera quality? with and without flash?

does it have a global search facility for the phone? like the....dare i say it...iphone 3gs?

how would YOU rate it vs the iphone 3gs?

will you at some point in the future teach us how to unlock and play with it like you did with the htc hero?

thanks Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- No DivX support out of the box

- It's a slightly shinier 6.1. More significant are the HTC UI enhancements.

- The app market is a bit thin on content atm.

- Yes, it includes a copilot trial.

- Will test MP3 playback.

- Speakerphone is pretty loud!

- It records VGA video.

- Camera seems fairly good with and without flash, will take some test shots.

- No global search out of the box.

- I've not used a 3GS.

- If required! :D

P

oh and is the flash powerful or just a dim light like the blackberry's flash? my old little sony phone had such a good flash you could take perfect pics in the dark

The flash is much brighter than I expected! It properly flashes, not just a weedy little light. :D

P

The flash is much brighter than I expected! It properly flashes, not just a weedy little light. :D

P

terrific - thanks for your fast replies as always. fingers crossed t mob stick to their release date of friday!

ah one more important question!

have you tried the onboard wifi tethering program? if so how was it/easy to use and how was the generated wifi speed on the attached computer?

thanks!

Guest andybarker

Having never tried a touchscreen bigger than the Universal (3.75"), is the on screen keyboard easy to type at a reasonable rate? I've got reasonably large fingers, and wondered if i'd be able to use the qwerty on screen keyboard on the HD2 (I struggle with the Universal one using thumbs).

I think a lot of these questions can be answered by looking at the custom ROMs threads on XDA-devs, since many phones (mine included) already run the Leo ROMS. For example the Wifi app. I have it on my HD and its fast and easy to use.

Most important i think are the movie playback speed with coreplayer/WMP and GPS speed (the 2 biggest issues with current HTC devices), sound quality and things like the compass (is it fast? I found the heros sluggish), battery life, and brightness and usability of the capacitive screen.

- No DivX support out of the box

- It's a slightly shinier 6.1. More significant are the HTC UI enhancements.

- The app market is a bit thin on content atm.

- Yes, it includes a copilot trial.

- Will test MP3 playback.

- Speakerphone is pretty loud!

- It records VGA video.

- Camera seems fairly good with and without flash, will take some test shots.

- No global search out of the box.

- I've not used a 3GS.

- If required! :D

P

WM does have "Search" which although a little dated does search everything, with the option of choosing things based on what uses them (like Outlook, Calendar etc).

Having never tried a touchscreen bigger than the Universal (3.75"), is the on screen keyboard easy to type at a reasonable rate? I've got reasonably large fingers, and wondered if i'd be able to use the qwerty on screen keyboard on the HD2 (I struggle with the Universal one using thumbs).

Yeah, it's goodm if you really struggled with the qwerty you could switch to 20 or 12 key...

P

ah one more important question!

have you tried the onboard wifi tethering program? if so how was it/easy to use and how was the generated wifi speed on the attached computer?

thanks!

I have tried it (it's good!) but didn't measure the speed!

P

I think a lot of these questions can be answered by looking at the custom ROMs threads on XDA-devs, since many phones (mine included) already run the Leo ROMS. For example the Wifi app. I have it on my HD and its fast and easy to use.

Most important i think are the movie playback speed with coreplayer/WMP and GPS speed (the 2 biggest issues with current HTC devices), sound quality and things like the compass (is it fast? I found the heros sluggish), battery life, and brightness and usability of the capacitive screen.

Compass seems very responsive, brightness of the screen is good and the capactive screen's usability is excellent thus far (altho marking text for cut / paste seemed a bit inaccurate?)

P

Guest The Gambles

Hi Paul

Another Paul here :-)

Lots of questions on the 4winmobile site as part of their review prep.

In reality ... many have been answered ... but those that haven't that you could check very quickly :

What is the screen made of ? Is it definitely glass ... ie cold ... or is it more like a hard plastic ?

With the pinch to zoom in apps like Pocket Informant and WM native settings screens ... we've seen websites showing PI being zoomed with a mini zoom location windows at the bottom middle. Once zoomed ... I'd suspect you'd then touch buttons / selections more easily as they would be bigger ... it would be good to confirm this actually works on the GA device.

The pictures of the supplied headphone jack shows it has 4 contacts. This as many have mentioned is usual only with devices that include TV-Out. We know the HD2 isn't advertised with TV-Out ... but it would be interesting to see what would happen if you installed a TV-Out cable from a device like the TP2.

I agree ... please take the device outside and see how clear it is in day light .... doesn't have to be particularly sunny to tell if it is better than the TP2 (which I thought was better than the TyTNII) or the Omnia2 (the device I was going to get before the HD2 was announced ... and I understand although the AMOLED is lovely in doors it is not good in outside light).

Can you see if you can disable TF3D / Sense ... it is rumoured this isn't straight forward ... which I find extraordinary. If you can ... it would be great to see what the experience is like with MS3.5.

If you have a stowaway BT keyboard and mouse ... it would be great to check it works on the HD2. I have one that I have used under 6.1 with the TyTNII ... I think with the screen this size, the combination of the two will actually be useful to me for the first time.

Everyone has talked about potential issues re graphics drivers etc. I really don't know how much of a problem this will be either way. There has been some interesting debate on xda-developers recently suggesting that performance is good and infact ... other sites showing side by side test of openGL against the HD ... and the HD2 was massively faster. This seemed contrary to previous benchmarks that showed massive performance everywhere but 3G graphics. I guess what I'm asking is ... do you have any other benchmarks etc that you can run that may shed light.

Could you try as many native WM apps (those not touched by TF3D) and those decent apps like PI, Flexmail, Cash Organiser, Softmaker Office etc that haven't yet been optimised for touch ... it would just be interesting to see in practice how easy these were to use ... again ... I guess this depends on whether the above general zoom capability was delivered in the GA rom and how effective it is once you are zoomed in.

I'm also interested in how the battery back is detached ? Is there a lock ... a clip ... ? how do you remove it ... is it easy ? does it seem sturdy ? Will obviously be important for soft resets and swapping the MicroSDHC.

Sure there will be more ... but it would be great to get answers to these as soon as possible.

Seems daft really ... I should have it by the 11th (Clove now saying dispatch on the 10th) ... but I'm at a 3 day digital forensics event tue-thu next week ... so I won't be back to play with it until the Friday - so any advance warning of potential downsides ... or better still ... an indication that the above are not problems ... would be excellent.

Cheers

Paul.

:D

Guest markdotpeters5

For my 2p - I'd just like to see the camera, stills in all normal and low light, plus video recording in both.

Can you use the leds whilst recording videos? Does it focus when taking a video?

Pretty sure I read on mobile-review it plays DiVX file easily..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.