ROM Dev / Porting Question.

Guest joners

Hi,

I had a couple of questions relating to ROM Dev and porting to the pulse, sorry but im no Dev but im had a fair amount of experience with my G1 and custom ROM's.

What is required to port a ROM from one device to another? Id like to port the CyanogenROM to the Pulse, I know that this can be done with the G1 and the Magic but im guessing this is because in essence they are pretty much the same hardware, and share the same Cyanogen Kernel etc.

If it cant be done and produce a fully functioning ROM then im not that fussed about it, ie bluetooth, wifi, 3g all working. Many of the issues you see porting roms from other devices seems to have major hardware functions not working. If it works great!

So...... If it is not possible to port repetitively easily and successfully then how easy is it to de brand the tmobile ROM?

What do I want out of a ROM (almost a feature request i suppose!)

1. Stock Interface, remove the Tmobile custom UI.

2. Pref 1.6 or above, not sure that the Pulse can cope with Eclair, limited memory etc, same issues as the g1 has i believe.

3. Apps2SD with Linux-swap working, i believe that a custom kernel is req for this, would make the auto config in Amon RA's recovery image great for noobs.

4. Wifi teather working, again requires custom kernel tweaks i think!

5. Stable and smooth.

Sorry i know the thread is a bit random, didnt quite know how to get all my questions in to one coherent thread :D Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

Guest JingleManSweep
Hi,

I had a couple of questions relating to ROM Dev and porting to the pulse, sorry but im no Dev but im had a fair amount of experience with my G1 and custom ROM's.

What is required to port a ROM from one device to another? Id like to port the CyanogenROM to the Pulse, I know that this can be done with the G1 and the Magic but im guessing this is because in essence they are pretty much the same hardware, and share the same Cyanogen Kernel etc.

If it cant be done and produce a fully functioning ROM then im not that fussed about it, ie bluetooth, wifi, 3g all working. Many of the issues you see porting roms from other devices seems to have major hardware functions not working. If it works great!

So...... If it is not possible to port repetitively easily and successfully then how easy is it to de brand the tmobile ROM?

What do I want out of a ROM (almost a feature request i suppose!)

1. Stock Interface, remove the Tmobile custom UI.

2. Pref 1.6 or above, not sure that the Pulse can cope with Eclair, limited memory etc, same issues as the g1 has i believe.

3. Apps2SD with Linux-swap working, i believe that a custom kernel is req for this, would make the auto config in Amon RA's recovery image great for noobs.

4. Wifi teather working, again requires custom kernel tweaks i think!

5. Stable and smooth.

Sorry i know the thread is a bit random, didnt quite know how to get all my questions in to one coherent thread :D Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.

I'm no "Dev" either, but would like to reiterate some of your points:

1. Agreed, the T-Mobile UI is pretty poor.

2. Agreed, the "Devs" will need to repackage the standard Donut release, and you will probably have to repartition your internal storage (to allow more room for the Donut installation/extraction to run).

3. You can get somethin similar using the Modaco unofficial Pulse firmware. I am using this now. After installing it, it copies all your apps from internal memory to SD card on first boot. I then SSH'd into my phone to remove the apps from the internal storage, after confirming that all the apps were indeed now on the SD card.

4. In order for WiFi tethering to work, the kernel needs recompiling with "netfilter" modules enabled to allow for networking routing between the 3G/GPRS network device and the WiFi device. The "Devs" are currently awaiting for Huwaei/T-Mobile to release the modified Pulse Linux kernel source code. There is another thread in this Pulse forum detailing their progress. Unfortunately, it isn't going to well at the moment, and even though they have to release the modified source code under the terms of the GPL, if and when they do are a different matter.

5. Agreed. I think this is a common feature request. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
isn't 2.0 on the Motorola DROID

Yup your quite right it is, but 2.0 is at ASOP yet, it shouldnt be too long now though. From the sounds of Jean-Baptiste Queru's twitter posts they are working hard to get bits ready for release.

Yup your quite right it is, but 2.0 is at ASOP yet, it shouldnt be too long now though. From the sounds of Jean-Baptiste Queru's twitter posts they are working hard to get bits ready for release.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

20minutes after my post this pops up on twitter!

c/o cyanogen

ANDROID 2.0 DROPPED INTO AOSP!!!

score! :)

Edited by joners