GPS performance

Guest Pawel Virtuss Omega

Guest FortKnox101
@fortnox, that has something to do with (internal/kernel) settings of samsung touchwiz or windows mobile.

I thought it was touchwiz.

When there is to little RAM, touchwiz ( i think ) will close some inactive programs.

when you launch tomtom...--> to few free ram available so it closes gpsproxy.

I close all programs with taskmanager before I launch gpsproxy & tomtom.

And I don't have any problems of the closing gpsproxy

Well I didn't have any programs at all when it happened but I could be mistaken, MyLookout app runs on my mobile continuously..however I seemed to have sorted my problem out, im running GPS just fine on TomTom now without using GPSProxy or GPSGate or whatever. Decided to take a look at the I8000 forums seeing as the phone is practically the same just without a qwerty keyboard and design differences. Check it out:

EDIT: Even though he says to have the baud rate to 9600...still works at 4800.

Edited by FortKnox101

Guest FortKnox101

Well i'm using GPSModDriver instead of GPSGate or GPSProxy...no program to keep opening or closing:

If anyones interested:

Steps:

1. Change the following settings in the Windows Mobile Settings:

• GPS Program Port: COM2
  • GPS Hardware Port: COM9
  • Baudrate: 4800 (or whatever).
  • GPS automatically controlled by Windows

2. Install GPSModDriver to the Device, not My Storage or Storage Card.

3. Message should pop up saying its default Port is COM4 so generally most applications will see it by default.

4. Enjoy!

Guest sorpio

Hello,

I am dutch and using Igo 8, I have to say that it is working perfect for me, even more accurate than my TomTom navigator which is slow or inaccurate sometimes. Only negative thing I can think of is when I am boxed in between lorries its loosing its signal for a short time.

Guest JeroenFransen
Well i'm using GPSModDriver instead of GPSGate or GPSProxy...no program to keep opening or closing:

If anyones interested:

Steps:

1. Change the following settings in the Windows Mobile Settings:

• GPS Program Port: COM2
  • GPS Hardware Port: COM9
  • Baudrate: 4800 (or whatever).
  • GPS automatically controlled by Windows

2. Install GPSModDriver to the Device, not My Storage or Storage Card.

3. Message should pop up saying its default Port is COM4 so generally most applications will see it by default.

4. Enjoy!

Has been working great for me, too. In use for 4 weeks now.

Guest Kaya Krak

GPS in Omnia Pro is much more better than LD4W one from Nokia, which I have used before.

iGo is performing also very well.

Today i used WMMiniGps to log my position when i was travelling to work and when i showed my track in Google Earth, I was very impresed. There was clearly drawed on which side of road i was travelling and also my position in a lane. Phone was laying down on the center console (closed).

So GPS in this phone is very good, not looking on the navigation SW using it.

Guest matdahero

Thanks I used the GPSModDriver to solve my bizarre problem with no GPS signal when SPB Mobile Shell installed. Now my Omnia Pro identifies the satellites at lightening speed. (Like instantly) But the detection of satellites looks very sensitive because they keep blinking on the radar. It's on this second but off the next second. And it took quite a while to get the first fix (10 mins, in contrary to the 30 sec fix I used to get without the GPSModDriver. But of cuz without it, my TT7 wouldn't have worked at all when I have my SPB Mobile Shell installed...)

So big thanks to the FortKnox101 for bringing this in, and Mach2003, who is the one that actually made this. A modder @ xda.

Guest pashik
Thanks I used the GPSModDriver to solve my bizarre problem with no GPS signal when SPB Mobile Shell installed. Now my Omnia Pro identifies the satellites at lightening speed. (Like instantly) But the detection of satellites looks very sensitive because they keep blinking on the radar. It's on this second but off the next second. And it took quite a while to get the first fix (10 mins, in contrary to the 30 sec fix I used to get without the GPSModDriver. But of cuz without it, my TT7 wouldn't have worked at all when I have my SPB Mobile Shell installed...)

So big thanks to the FortKnox101 for bringing this in, and Mach2003, who is the one that actually made this. A modder @ xda.

Hey, you don't need any GPSModDriver and the problem isn't because of SPB MobShell. It's TomTom and in some cases SUPL-server. If you use supl.vodafone.com then use better supl.nokia.com on same port and also ssl. just exchange supl.vodafone.com with supl.nokia.com in registry. esspecially you may get this problem if you use a VF-fone with another provider. I had this too. iGO8 works like a charm without any additional drivers, Garmin and GoogleMaps too. The only program which doesn't find reciver or sattelites or needs hours to get fix is TomTom. Bah! Try iGo8 with skin from Dimka v.1.1.27 you'll be impressed!

Guest ninjaw

I'll say no. My gps is a nightmare nothing fix in 15mn whatever i try, and i tried it all. The worst was with GPSmoddriver, no signal.

However I never heard about : supl, vodafone, 'port', nokia, anyway i guess it's agps, i already tried several servers.

Guest b7610_fan

used gpsmoddriver, workt perfectly with XNA, cold GPS start after 2 weeks non use.

fix < 50 seconds. really amazed.

after that, quick fix < 3seconds.

Guest matdahero
Hey, you don't need any GPSModDriver and the problem isn't because of SPB MobShell. It's TomTom and in some cases SUPL-server. If you use supl.vodafone.com then use better supl.nokia.com on same port and also ssl. just exchange supl.vodafone.com with supl.nokia.com in registry. esspecially you may get this problem if you use a VF-fone with another provider. I had this too. iGO8 works like a charm without any additional drivers, Garmin and GoogleMaps too. The only program which doesn't find reciver or sattelites or needs hours to get fix is TomTom. Bah! Try iGo8 with skin from Dimka v.1.1.27 you'll be impressed!

then u will have to explain to me why i find the GPS working once i uninstalled SPB, but no signal for >30mins with it installed? the moddriver made my TT7 works at least... with erratic readings like on and off roads and re-routing. infact i already talked to mach2003 the creator of this driver @ xda. many ppl have the very same problem over there. and about the vodafone-nokia stuff... what is that about? i dun have data so i dun use aGPS, and i am in Canada with Rogers wireless. :)

Guest ErnstJanF
I'll say no. My gps is a nightmare nothing fix in 15mn whatever i try, and i tried it all. The worst was with GPSmoddriver, no signal.

However I never heard about : supl, vodafone, 'port', nokia, anyway i guess it's agps, i already tried several servers.

Maybe you're just outside the covered are of the GPS sattelites?

Guest b7610_fan
Maybe you're just outside the covered are of the GPS sattelites?

outside the covered area of GPS ? ;-)

That's impossible. it could be that there is to much reflection of the signals that the device cannot 'filter' the correct data. but outside the coverage is impossible, unluss you are not on earth.

inside a building is indeed outside the covered area if thast is what you mean.

Edited by b7610_fan

Guest ErnstJanF
outside the covered area of GPS ? ;-)

That's impossible. it could be that there is to much reflection of the signals that the device cannot 'filter' the correct data. but outside the coverage is impossible, unluss you are not on earth.

inside a building is indeed outside the covered area if thast is what you mean.

I mean you need 3 or more sattelites in a triangle, and it sure is possible the device can't find a 3th one or cannot form the triangle :)

Guest pashik

google is your friend :)

Secure User Plane Location (SUPL) server. SUPL Server interacts with handsets using the SUPL standard protocols, as well as generates a location fix from a network server (MS-assisted fix) or within the handset (MS-based fix).

after change supl server to nokia I get fix with every software except TomTom within max 2 min. longest time needs Garmin about 2 mins almost other under 30 sec even 50 km away from last position.

but for TomTom I found a fix in another forum, everybody tells it works, but I didn't test it myself, because I don't like TT. here you go:

_http://www.gsmfreeboard.com/showthread.php?t=194983

Guest b7610_fan

did you try enable xtra ? and click download xtra ( while connected to wifi / activesync )

samsung settings -> basic settings -> regular? settings -> GPS -> XTRA -> enable all.

shutdown device, start device. ( not soft reset )

Guest matdahero

A courtesy of canlloindra @ XDA. For those who are getting shakey map with iGO and detection issue with TomTom7, try the following GPSModDriver settings

" - Select Profile "DRIVING".

- In the section "DRIVING-TOGGLE ENABLE" profile DRIVING: All radiobutton in OFF.

- In the section "SYSTEM": You must put SMOOTH:OFF and SleepTime=100

And voila,...., in Omnia this driver works!!!

But, I must check it!

Greets!"

P.S. You can always revert back to original setting by reinstalling the cab if this doesn't work for you.

Guest darknessviking
did you try enable xtra ? and click download xtra ( while connected to wifi / activesync )

samsung settings -> basic settings -> regular? settings -> GPS -> XTRA -> enable all.

shutdown device, start device. ( not soft reset )

i tried that one after your instructions,i didnt see any change in route 66 progress,but ill check it out in a moment again and see how it turns out...

what exactly is the "Xtra" ?

lol and now it worked!

thanx again!

Edited by darknessviking

Guest b7610_fan

in really short version explained:

normaly your gps has to calculate some of the satelites postions, re evaluate and so on and so on... long procedure to get a fix.

but xtra downloads a little file in \xtra.bin from some http - xtra servers

and it containes already valid satelite data.

so he doesn't have to 'calculate / evaluate' the receiving gps data, and can directly start calcuating your position.

• 2 weeks later...

I use B7610 together with iGO 8 navigation software. It works without adding other software like GPSProxy. It recognizes the GPS unit right away. If you happen to use SPB mobile shell 3.5.3, it's known to cause problems with the GPS unit. A hard-reset should solve the problem, but I guess there are other soloutions ( which you can search on the forum here ).

About fixes. Yesterday I got a hotfix ( fixed it several times before, though it was the first fix since 24 hours ) in less than half a minute ( depending on the position ofcourse. Normally, i get a fix in less than a minute, with an accuracy of approximately 20 meters ( which is fair enough for navigation software ).

I enabled the XTRA function, and it still works :)

Guest ednakram

I tried my GPS with latest Google Maps on B7610 with winmo 6.1 and I found it very accurate, the blue arrow kept moving along with me

in the road with a fair share of 2 story buildings around. I also tested GPS with sportypal and accuracy was very good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest RainerRabe2

All, posting here maybe someone knows the answer:

I use those registry settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware]

"InputBufferSize"=dword:200

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware]

"OutputBufferSize"=dword:200

"SleepOnNoData"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer]

"MaxBufferSize"=dword:400

"DriverInterface"="COM4:"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice]

"Index"=dword:4

XTRA enabled, also the SNTP server, although I see no difference it it is on or off

anyway, GPS finds a fix mostly very fast and works stable.

BUT: :) while GPS is running (tomtom or Igo or google maps), I have two strange behaviours of the phone with all ROMS I used so far (PDA):

1. POUTLOOK does not work properly any more: you find no contacts while navi is in background, cannot open calendar items, and onyl preview emails but not opening them (I use 6.5.5. rom with Office 10 from Daraklos - but that behaviour also happend in stock rom and all other roms)

2. even more ;) :P : when using the PHONE (independent if Samsung dial pad or WM 6.5 stock dial pad), while any navi is in background, after some calls, after hanging up the call, the PHONE app (cprog.exe) freezes, and only reboot helps. Navigation system continues to work, but you are not reachable by phone nor can you do an outobund call, since the phone app is simply frozen.

Also bleutooth connection to hands-free in car is breaking down and starting, stopping starting, etc. calls via hands-free keys also not possible (so not only a display problem on the device). only reboot helps.

maybe the CSC files I use are not compatiple with the hardware any more, tried B7610BTIL4.csc, where it happens "often", B7610NXXIL4 (and then the ATO version inside) . where it happens ALWAYS. Phone has German keyboard, so German CSC files need to be used.

does anyone have similar issues, or even better: did anyone of you SOLVE those issues so far? and if yes, or if it does simply work on your end?

- what navi version are you using

- what ROM are you using (PDA file)

- what PHONE file are you using

- what CSC file are you using (all can found in samsung settings-system-version-hardware

txs..