Musicplayer starts automatically with headphones plugged in

Guest Aton

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. I hope you can help me with a little problem I've got with my new pulse I got this week. I'm using the modaco rom MCR 1.1.

When I use my phone without headphones plugged in everything works fine. I can open the youtube app or anything else and just this app is in front and plays normaly. But if I plug in my headphones which are connected through the 2,5" headphone adapter everything changes and behaves strangely. The music app starts automatically. This is good and I want to have this function. After listening to my music I want to watch a video and open the preinstalled youtube app. The music player is closed by the way. After starting a video it plays for a view seconds and then the music player starts automatically. This is very annoying.

Now I made some testing. This seems to happen with every app that uses sound (apps, games). As soon as sound begins to play the musicplayer starts playing, but only if my headphones are plugged in.

I've beenn looking in the settings but found nothing that could help me.

This is independent from the music app I use. I tested it with the preinstalled music app, with TuneWiki and Meridian Music Player.

Does anyone have the same problem or can help me with it?

Guest HunteronX

The exact same thing happens to me! But ifI use the 2.5mm headphones supplied with the phone, everything works fine - so I think its something to do with the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.

I've noticed that if I plug headphones into the adapter, they don't stay in properly, and if I nudge them slightly, that's when the music application, or some other music application, like tunewiki opens automatically.

If someone could help with this, it would be great! :)

Guest HunteronX

Well, this is a bit off-topic...

If you're wondering why I haven't posted at all for a YEAR, I just never really wanted to. But its always the right time to start something new, so i'll probably be more active now, instead of creeping around the forum... :)

Guest helikopter
The exact same thing happens to me! But ifI use the 2.5mm headphones supplied with the phone, everything works fine - so I think its something to do with the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.

I've noticed that if I plug headphones into the adapter, they don't stay in properly, and if I nudge them slightly, that's when the music application, or some other music application, like tunewiki opens automatically.

If someone could help with this, it would be great! :)

i have the exact same problem, and i can confirm that it's related to the adapter which came with the phone. you don't even have to connect the entire jack of your headphones into the adapter, it's enough to plug in just the half of it to have the music player or any other media player to get started.

i'm very curious if the same would happen with another 3.5-2.5 adapter. if not, i'd purchase one from ebay as they are very cheap. i just want to be sure that it won't reproduce the issue.

however, this doesn't mean that i wouldn't have hard feelings towards huawei that they gave us that piece of s***, unusable one.

Guest meegaha

+1

Having the same problem. Will have to hack my new head phones on to the 2.5mm handsfree kit that came with the phone if this 'feature' can't be turned off :-/

Bought a regular 2,5" to 3,5" adapter today. After some testing I have to confirm that it is the fault of the delivered adapter huawei/t-mobile uses with the pulse.

Now I can use the headphones in other apps without starting the musicplayer.

But you have to be careful when looking for an adapter cause the lid of the headphone jack and an edge make it difficult to use the adapter I bought. It's kind of fat plug. I had to use a knife to shape it the right way. It's a bit wobbly now so I ordered another adapter with a more slim plug.

It would be nice, if there was a way to deactivate this behaviour of the apps by software.

Found another strange behaviour. Now my original adapter that was delivered with my pulse works fine with youtube and the other apps. But: when I start a m4a-file and play it in the music app preinstalled with the pulse and pause it, it continues playing after approximate 5 seconds. When I play and pause a m4a-file and exit the music app and enter another app it continues playing and jumps back to the music app. That's making me crazy.

At the moment I think, that it is a mix of badly supported m4a-files and old music apps I had installed.

Can anyone of you replicate the erros I've got?

Edit: I also recognized that my pulse is far faster after rebooting. Before rebooting I uninstalled some apps like TuneWiki and Meridian Player. Maybe some apps did change some settings and now they are reset again.

Edited by Aton

Guest helikopter
Saw this today and seems that this issue isnt only on the Pulse.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/verizon...rmware-updates/

Looks like the issue exists on the HTC Eris, check the 1st point on the Verizon Letter.

May indicate that the issue here is not with the headset adapter and rather is a software bug.

which issue? the droid eris has a 3.5 jack so you don't need to use any adapters for your headphones.

Guest helikopter
I think that's what 'joners' is trying to point out - that it has nothing to do with the hardware (3.5mm jack or not); but a software bug only.

this seems right. i went to a gadget shop today and tried my headphones with a simple and regular adapter and reproduced the same issue. :) i hope that somehow this will get fixed very soon.

Guest JingleManSweep

I can confirm this too.

I purchased 3 different "2.5mm to 3.5mm" converters from Amazon, some with the four bands (like the originally T-Mobile adaptor) and some with the more standard three bands, and they all cause the same thing.

If I listen to Last.fm or DroidLive or any streaming audio application, then unplug/replug or generally wiggle the connector, the standard Android music player opens and starts playing. The really annoying thing is that even if the Android music player has an empty playlist, it randomly picks an album from my SD card, and starts playing it over the top of the streaming audio.

This is so annoying. I can't even use my Android to play music reliably.

Guest helikopter
I can confirm this too.

I purchased 3 different "2.5mm to 3.5mm" converters from Amazon, some with the four bands (like the originally T-Mobile adaptor) and some with the more standard three bands, and they all cause the same thing.

If I listen to Last.fm or DroidLive or any streaming audio application, then unplug/replug or generally wiggle the connector, the standard Android music player opens and starts playing. The really annoying thing is that even if the Android music player has an empty playlist, it randomly picks an album from my SD card, and starts playing it over the top of the streaming audio.

This is so annoying. I can't even use my Android to play music reliably.

i totally agree. i hope that someone somewhere at t-mobile or huawei is in charge of fixing these issues for us as soon as possible, because this problem means that one of the core features of the pulse is almost unusable. (i consider mp3 playback through headphones is a core feature of a smartphone.)

i'm not at all in linux so this question might be lame, but is it possible for devs to fix that through a custom rom? i hope that it's not a hardware problem, because i wouldn't be able to live with it as i use my phone as an mp3 player on a daily basis.

Edited by helikopter

i totally agree. i hope that someone somewhere at t-mobile or huawei is in charge of fixing these issues for us as soon as possible, because this problem means that one of the core features of the pulse is almost unusable. (i consider mp3 playback through headphones is a core feature of a smartphone.)

i'm not at all in linux so this question might be lame, but is it possible for devs to fix that through a custom rom? i hope that it's not a hardware problem, because i wouldn't be able to live with it as i use my phone as an mp3 player on a daily basis.

Think that these errors relate to a bug in android, so doubtful that tmobile / huawei will provide a fix. :)

Guest helikopter
Think that these errors relate to a bug in android, so doubtful that tmobile / huawei will provide a fix. :D

how do you mean that it's in android? does the same thing happen on other devices, too? if it's a software issue, they should be able to do something with it, shouldn't they?

anyway, if it's related to the OS, i hope that as we have the kernel now, a dev can fix it somehow. it would be great if paul or some other guy who's really into it could tell us if it's possible or not. please! :)

The bugs go on....

Installed again the meridian player. Again the pulse showed the strange behaviour when starting an app with sound. So I uninstalled it again. But even after rebooting the music app started when starting an app with sound. The bug disappears, when I start a song in the music app, pause it and enter the app I want.

That bugs are getting on my nerves...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest sjukstugan

Anyone been able to find a workaround or a fix for this bug.

I've started to exprience the same thing, music player comes on when i try to view a video on youtube. The problem occured when i finaly come around and installed the december update last week. Before I actually didn't have the problem at all. The problem also persists with another 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

I've been thinking about installing a custom rom on my phone, anybody know if this will fix the problem?

Guest Richard_Arkless
Anyone been able to find a workaround or a fix for this bug.

I've started to exprience the same thing, music player comes on when i try to view a video on youtube. The problem occured when i finaly come around and installed the december update last week. Before I actually didn't have the problem at all. The problem also persists with another 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

I've been thinking about installing a custom rom on my phone, anybody know if this will fix the problem?

I looked on the wiki page for the pulse and there is a fix for it. I tried it myself and it worked fine

http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220#Known_Issues

unfortunately the app is not free but im sure it can be found by some other means

Edited by Richard_Arkless