So confused with new purchase...HELP PLS!

Guest froggyoggy

Guest froggyoggy

hi guys,

i got my nokia e75 just a few days ago, but i'm not that happy with it as its slow, the keys are awkward to press and the keypad lock is very strange to unlock. Also the call quality is nowhere as good as my older nokia 6230i model.

I have already updated the firmware on this phone and although the response is a little faster, the rest of the problems remain.

Now i'm on orange contract for £30pm, which i get 1200xnet, unlimited landline calls, unlimited internet, magic numbers and 500 texts + my choice of phone. Since i'm still within the 7 day period i'm thinking of going for one of the following phones:-

n97 mini

samsung i8910 hd

htc hero

nokia e71

My main needs are the following:-

GOOD CALL QUALITY

EASY, FAST RESPONSE KEYPAD

GOOD APPS SUPPORT & ADAPTABLE

OKAY FOR INTERNET USAGE

Many have said to me to go for HTC HERO as its got a fast response firmware and is constantly getting updated, but i don't have a clue and need your help. Please give me your honest opinions and if possible without being baised fans.

I look forward to your replies.

froggyoggy

Edited by froggyoggy

Guest awarner (MVP)

It's a bit hard to ask for advice as this site is for Windows Mobile and you have only mentioned non Windows Mobile devices in your list.

Do you want a phone that is simple to use? if so the samsung is a feature phone and the Nokias are just simple feature phones with the Symbian OS but you can add certain applications.

If you want to play with more applications and upgrade the OS etc then you have the option of an Android or Windows Mobile device.

Guest froggyoggy
It's a bit hard to ask for advice as this site is for Windows Mobile and you have only mentioned non Windows Mobile devices in your list.

Do you want a phone that is simple to use? if so the samsung is a feature phone and the Nokias are just simple feature phones with the Symbian OS but you can add certain applications.

If you want to play with more applications and upgrade the OS etc then you have the option of an Android or Windows Mobile device.

Thanks awarner for your fast reply. I was hoping the e75 was the right phone. Normally i prefer a non-touch screen phone as many old generation touch screens and many presently have problems with slow response, such as the nokia 5800, but i saw reviews of the htc hero, samsung and n97 mini which after rom updates run super smooth.

FYI, I want a phone which:-

1. is adaptable - i.e. plenty of software, widgets and app support

2. has good call quality

3. must have a fast response phone dialer pad and generally must be fast to use

4. must have a locking keypad (i.e. the e75 keypad lock is currently a big problem as the keys are extremely slim) - prefer a phone which allows u to choose your keypad combination, so that i can choose my own keys.

I'm off to sleep, but pls do let me know ASAP.

froggyoggy

(PS: mods, if necessary, pls move this topic to it's right location...thank u)

Guest tacchan23

Personally (and i guess a lot of people here) I'd tell you to buy a WinMo or Android phone becouse for MY needs I'd never buy a Symbian phone other than a 30$ one (in case I need a fast replacement just for calls), but for YOUR needs it may be complitely the opposite.

So, if you are happy with Symbian, I'd suggest you to ask in a Symbian forum to choose between the phones you listed.

Just my idea^^

Guest froggyoggy

to be honest tacchan, i used to love symbian, but only on the old phones such as the 6230i as these phones were perfect for making lots of calls. But with technology moving a lot further, i found symbian to be absolute rubbish and too slow on new phones such as the nokia e71, e75 and the nokia 5800.

The HTC in the old days was slow as it used windows mobile and when pressing a button, you would notice a lag. The new HTC though seems to be a lot better as i went out today to carphone warehouse and got to try it. My only problems were:-

1. The phone did have a slight lag, but i don't know if this was due to old firmware, but is the new updated firmware as good as they really say and are there any known lag issues?

2. The guy at the store also showed me the samsung i8910 hd, which is based on the symbian op and did some cool stuff. According to him, the samsung is much more powerful and he said the symbian op samsung use is more powerful and more supported than the google android...how true is this though?

3. Lastly from all phones, i now have come to choosing between the samsung i8910 hd or the htc hero, so could you guys help me decide from these two? What are the advantages/disadvantages and which phone has more adaptable software and support?

look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by froggyoggy

Guest awarner (MVP)

If you want the best screen then the Samsung but if you want to upgrade ROMs and twek here and there then the HTC.

The Samsung is just a "feature" phone with a Symbian core, but as it has the AMOLED screen like the Omnia2 so image quality on the screen is going to be hard to beat. Plus it has the HD camera which is a nice feature but how useful running Symbian could be another matter.

Why not look at the Omnia2 (i8000) there are some good deals around especially online rather than go to the more expensive places like Carphone Warehouse.

Personally I prefer the Samsung build quality over HTC but would not touch anything Symbian based unless I really had to.

Guest froggyoggy

hi awarner,

I've already got a great deal from orange which is:-

1200xnet

unlimited landline calls

orange magic numbers

unlimited internet

500 text (don't do much texting)

Choice of any phone from their shop, except for iphone.

All this for only £30pm, although it is a 24mth contract which i'm not bothered about. The only reason i went to carphone warehouse is because i just wanted to try out the phones, but HTC was lagging and i can only assume that was due to old firmware on it?

I don't care about camera or video as i just bought a panasonic tz7 which is a proper dedicated camera.

1. I like calling a lot, so need a fast phone with a good call quality

2. I like a phone which has plenty of support and that its software is very adaptable

3. Orange don't have omnia2, so thats not possible.

So from the above information what do you say is the ideal phone for me? Also is google android 2.0 any good as i heard that is coming out on the Hero?

Many thanks again for your help.

Guest shaunak.it

If you are looking for a non touch screen device, with options for loads of software and customization, I would suggest Samsung OmniaPro B7320. I do not know though if it is available in your country / with your carrier or not.

The call clarity is very good. Its got 3G (could not check it as my country is still is missing that technology LOL), Got GPS, 3.2 MP Camera - quite good, Full keyboard,2.4" Lanscape screen, Good battery life (1480 mAH).

You need to app unlock your device before installing softwares though. BTW its a WinMo 6.1 Standard device.

Guest froggyoggy

thanks shaunak, but i hate any wm6 device due to many wm6 phones being very buggy and slow and also its not available on orange network.

Also i have now ordered a HTC Hero from orange which should be here for tuesday...I will have 7 days to try the phone. My intention is to update the crappy orange firmware to the latest fastest firmware, so my questions are:-

1. can i backup the orange firmware safely, then update the htc to the latest rom/firmware and if i didn't like the htc, replace it back to the original orange firmware again?

2. is it a complex procedure? i.e. i don't want to damage the phone or orange to find out that i've been updating the firmware

3. What is this "rooting" word?

Edited by froggyoggy

Guest awarner (MVP)

Regarding updating the ROM, I would strongly suggest you do not even think about it until you have decided on keeping the device or not.

For more information on flashing it would be better to visit the MoDaCo Android site rather than the WinMo site as there is a weath of information there from experienced users.