Multitouch possible in theory?

Guest lemmyc

Guest MarcusHenrique
Intriguing. :huh: I'm not sure if I understand what they're suggesting but I'm just getting 0 returned from those addresses. I'm moving 2 fingers around on the screen and those registers contain zeros. However I haven't got a clue about kernel drivers so I'm clearly doing something wrong. Still, it's intriguing... and puzzling. First they said "both the touchscreen & hardware driver do not support Multitouch" and now they're saying it might support dualtouch. I'm not sure where that leaves it.

Based on what BigBear said at the beginning of his thread @ huawei's forum I'd say you both are missing something, even when applying de coordinates huawei told you:

BigBear said: Also, y2, w2, z2 and F2 stay zero, no matter how many fingers I put on the screen :P

If I were bear I'd try to contact that guy "good at this matter" directly =)

Guest BigBearMDC
Intriguing. :huh: I'm not sure if I understand what they're suggesting but I'm just getting 0 returned from those addresses. I'm moving 2 fingers around on the screen and those registers contain zeros. However I haven't got a clue about kernel drivers so I'm clearly doing something wrong. Still, it's intriguing... and puzzling. First they said "both the touchscreen & hardware driver do not support Multitouch" and now they're saying it might support dualtouch. I'm not sure where that leaves it.

I'm pretty sure they told us that both the "HW and touchscreen driver" aren't capable of MT because they just don't want to explain how to get it working :blink:

Now after asking the same questions for a while they gave me the answer I wanted.

The problem is that I don't know how I should combine those addresses with the coords of finger 1 :P

Based on what BigBear said at the beginning of his thread @ huawei's forum I'd say you both are missing something, even when applying de coordinates huawei told you:

BigBear said: Also, y2, w2, z2 and F2 stay zero, no matter how many fingers I put on the screen :D

If I were bear I'd try to contact that guy "good at this matter" directly =)

I'd really like to cantact this special guy directly, but I don't know how.

I already asked if it was possible to talk to him [or her :o] directly.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest Hornet69

I may be a little slow here and may have missed the description on a post over these 24 pages, but what is everyone looking for the terminals to do. Are we talking about 2 finger zoom in and out etc like an iPhone? Is that what everyone is refering to as "multi Touch"?

If i have the right idea, has anyone tried the Dolphin browser from the market place, this supports this sort of thing and other fingure gestures too. I am not sure if that would help in showing how to enable this on the OS side???

Just a thought

H

Guest Hornet69
I may be a little slow here and may have missed the description on a post over these 24 pages, but what is everyone looking for the terminals to do. Are we talking about 2 finger zoom in and out etc like an iPhone? Is that what everyone is refering to as "multi Touch"?

If i have the right idea, has anyone tried the Dolphin browser from the market place, this supports this sort of thing and other fingure gestures too. I am not sure if that would help in showing how to enable this on the OS side???

Just a thought

H

OK partially answered my own question here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

And yes, the Dolphin Browser does this :huh: but will it help enable it for the OS and not just the app?

Edited by Hornet69

Guest MarcusHenrique

I believe Multitouch gestures on dolphin only works if this guys enables OS multitouch functionality.

An app can't enable something that the OS or the mobile can't do. :huh:

Guest BigBearMDC

PhoneMyPC uses a pretty clever function for pinch zooming.

If you place two fingers on the screen, the device will recognize them, and set the variable "fingers" to '2'.

Further, the redius of the one finger which coordinates are know will suddenly get much bigger.

If you now change the distance between your fingers, you will change the "radius" variable, and as "fingers" is set to '2', PhoneMyPC will know that you just tried to pinch zoom.

Pretty clever indeed, but not multitouch.

But I think this also only works on devices that support MT at least theoretically.

Single touch devices aren't capable of recongizing two fingers, I think.

What I want to do is porting the Luke Hutchinson MT hack.

This works by hiding the distance between the two fingers in the "width" variable of the first finger.

This is necessary as the Android framework just drops ABS_HAT0_X and ABS_HAT0_Y, which contain the coordinates of the second touchpoint.

I hope this answered your questions, Hornet69 :huh:

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

• 1 month later...
Guest John Hamelink
any update on this project? :(

I believe BigBear will take a look at this once the 2.1 source is released :(

Guest MarcusHenrique

BoBo, just wanted to point something I was thinking today.

Default touch driver on Pulse/U8220 is already detecting 2 fingers on the screen.

I was playing with my homescreen and I noticed that if I keep 2 fingers on screen and move finger 1, screen will move. And moving finger 2 without removing 1 will also make screen move.

That wouldn't happen if the driver weren't detecting both fingers.

I think that's probably bad news since your first "achievement" was making the driver detecting both fingers =/

Guest BigBearMDC
BoBo, just wanted to point something I was thinking today.

Default touch driver on Pulse/U8220 is already detecting 2 fingers on the screen.

I was playing with my homescreen and I noticed that if I keep 2 fingers on screen and move finger 1, screen will move. And moving finger 2 without removing 1 will also make screen move.

That wouldn't happen if the driver weren't detecting both fingers.

I think that's probably bad news since your first "achievement" was making the driver detecting both fingers =/

Actually I noticed this too some time ago.

The hardware seems to be definetly multitouch capable, Huawei just disabled this feature.

But it seems like Huawei used another way to "deliver" the coordinates, as the it doesn't work the usual way (like on any HTC devices).

I'm waiting for a reply on Huawei's forum.

Also, the .29 kernel source should be released soon, then the implementation of multitouch would be easier, as the 2.1 API's already support real multitouch :)

Best regards,

BigBear

Guest Sh4d0w940

Something wich may be interesting, altough no good news:

When I tried PhoneMyPC with the 2.1 update (and ofc .29 kernel) the pinch zooming won't work.

So the phone probably doesn't know I put two fingers on it instead of one.

Sh4d0w940

Guest BigBearMDC
Something wich may be interesting, altough no good news:

When I tried PhoneMyPC with the 2.1 update (and ofc .29 kernel) the pinch zooming won't work.

So the phone probably doesn't know I put two fingers on it instead of one.

Sh4d0w940

Hmm, that aren't necessarily bad news, maybe they just changed the width property.

Eclair is capable of mutlitouch by default, and I guess that could be a reason why they dropped this function.

I'm pretty sure it detects both fingers :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest geekmystique
Hmm, that aren't necessarily bad news, maybe they just changed the width property.

Eclair is capable of mutlitouch by default, and I guess that could be a reason why they dropped this function.

I'm pretty sure it detects both fingers :lol:

Someone in this thread

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/312...citive/page/20/

Just mentioned that the Pulse uses the Synaptics 1000 series sensor, which doesn't support multitouch in Hardware.

http://www.synaptics.com/sites/default/fil...15-01-Rev-B.pdf

Is this false? Because this thread seems to restate that the hardware does support MT.. If not, then the time on trying to make MT work could be better spent elsewhere.

Guest BigBearMDC
Someone in this thread

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/312...citive/page/20/

Just mentioned that the Pulse uses the Synaptics 1000 series sensor, which doesn't support multitouch in Hardware.

http://www.synaptics.com/sites/default/fil...15-01-Rev-B.pdf

Is this false? Because this thread seems to restate that the hardware does support MT.. If not, then the time on trying to make MT work could be better spent elsewhere.

I got the direct reply of a Huawei dev that it does support multitouch and even how to read this coordinates.

Also it detects and counts up to 4 fingers.

Furthermore we have the 2000 digitizer, not the 1000 :lol:

Best regards,

BigBear

Guest geekmystique
I got the direct reply of a Huawei dev that it does support multitouch and even how to read this coordinates.

Furthermore we have the 2000 digitizer, not the 1000 :lol:

Best regards,

BigBear

You the man :D

It's amazing how they somehow didn't cut that many corners on this device (well I would have gladly spent that $1 on the extra 64MB RAM)

Edited by geekmystique

Furthermore we have the 2000 digitizer, not the 1000 :D

Best regards,

BigBear

Whoops... so I was wrong when I was said that the touch panel is a 1000 series panel. (I found out that is a synaptic clearpad and I thought that this is a cheap phone, so the touch panel maybe the cheapest modell :lol: )

But Synaptic website says that 2000 series has only dual-touch feature. Maybe It can handle 4 fingers with software way. But it use the phones cpu, so it slow it down a litle bit.

True multitouch (e.g. 3000 series) is processing the touch data on a dedicated chip that is a part of the touch panel.

OFF: If I have to choose between the multitouch and a good optimised Android 2.2, My choice is the optimised Android 2.2. A prefer more speed and stability over multitouch. (I can't see any big advantage of multitouch (if you don't play games))

Guest BigBearMDC
Whoops... so I was wrong when I was said that the touch panel is a 1000 series panel. (I found out that is a synaptic clearpad and I thought that this is a cheap phone, so the touch panel maybe the cheapest modell :lol: )

But Synaptic website says that 2000 series has only dual-touch feature. Maybe It can handle 4 fingers with software way. But it use the phones cpu, so it slow it down a litle bit.

True multitouch (e.g. 3000 series) is processing the touch data on a dedicated chip that is a part of the touch panel.

OFF: If I have to choose between the multitouch and a good optimised Android 2.2, My choice is the optimised Android 2.2. A prefer more speed and stability over multitouch. (I can't see any big advantage of multitouch (if you don't play games))

Yap, the first thing I did was checking the Synaptics site :D

But DualTouch should be enough for our Pulse.

Its good enough for pinch zooming, and that's the feature I miss the most.

Once the .29 source is released I hope to get it working :D

Best regards,

BigBear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Ramapitecus
Yap, the first thing I did was checking the Synaptics site :(

But DualTouch should be enough for our Pulse.

Its good enough for pinch zooming, and that's the feature I miss the most.

Once the .29 source is released I hope to get it working :(

Best regards,

BigBear

It would be nice to use it with emulators as well :P

Just wondering. In Google maps BRUT mode there should be force enabled multitouch that doesn't depend on the android system therefor it should work on our pulses, right?

Well why it doesn't then?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_dawkins
I found something out today, and I don't know if you already know about this or if it helps us out at all.

It seems like the screen recognizes the other finger when the X and Y axles cross.

I made a video showing it:

http://vimeo.com/14061456

Consider the X axis only; there are two X contacts, but the decoder selects (or can only see) one of them. As you move your fingers together, the two points merge into one, and then as they cross over, they split into two again. After they become two points, the decoder again is faced with a choice, and selects one. You'd expect that sometimes it chooses the same finger, and sometimes the other finger, which is what the video shows.

I'm not sure it helps; it seems to just illuminate the algorithm used to handle multiple inputs in turning them into a single input.