26/Jan 2.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Sprint CDMA Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest EaiserLikeThis
Is the only way to apply this to do it on top of factory ROM and then re-install all my apps? I'd really hate to have to do that.

That's how I did it. Factory reset, partition SD card, apply this ROM. I didn't try it without a factory reset, so I can't say I had the same trouble as you, but I know the factory reset -> Flash this ROM has been working for me. It's been running for 2 and a half days with no problems at all.

Guest EaiserLikeThis

Is this ROM supposed to remove the standard Sprint apps (NASCAR, Navigation etc) or is that supposed to be done manually by me?

Also, I'm assuming if Sprint updates us to 2.1 (like they're supposed to in the near future) I should stay away from it as it would unroot my phone and wouldn't work with this ROM, right?

Thanks.

Guest jmanley

Ok... I know there's been talk about "reboot" before... but is it me, or does the reboot command in the kitchen not let you reboot to recovery?

I took reboot from my installation of 1.1 and put it on this ROM and it seems to work... Paul, can that be incorporated in the kitchen maybe?

reboot.zip

Guest jmanley

Ok... so I kept getting force closes and no radio on my Sprint Hero, so I RUU back to the initial release ROM. Rooted the phone, installed a custom 2.0 from the kitchen. Everything was going fine.

I rebooted a couple of times, then installed all my 70+ apps from the market again (which I really hate doing).

Configured Facebook.

Setup my exchange server.

Installed Mobile Defense.

Reboot...

Force Close on every app and no radio.

Any ideas? I tried working backwards... I removed Mobile Defense, reboot, Delete exchange account, reboot, log out of facebook reboot.

The only thing I haven't done is uninstall all my apps and reinstall them 1 at a time. and I really don't want to have to do that.

Please help

Guest jmanley
What did you include / leave out in the kitchen?

P

I created the custom ROM about an hour before my first "please help" so it should be 2.01 right?

I left out...

Footprints

Market Widgets

Peep Twitter client

Stocks

Sync

Nascar

NFL

Wavesecure

WiFi Status Indicator

HTC Plurk (wasn't available)

Boot Sounds

I should note that this happened with the full 2.0 (but not on a clean RUU'd phone).

Just an update. I removed all the files from /data/app (or actually /system/sd/app) and it booted just fine. I've been pushing the files back on one at a time and rebooting after each. I'm about half way through right now, and so far the only force close was from Handcent. I'm not sure if it's a result of the widget, or the program itself. I removed that apk to see if anything else causes problems. However, I think that it was just a fluke because that was the only program that FC'd and the radio was fine.

Guest jmanley

I think I've found it.

using ext3 partition and apps2sd...

I have 5.5meg in app-private

If I have more than 47meg in /system/sd/app everything crashes and there's no radio.

It doesn't matter what apps you have in /system/sd/app, if it's more than 47meg (on my phone), it crashes.

It also looks like it might be a size limit for the whole /system/sd partition. If I put an additional 2meg in /system/sd/app, and take out 1.5meg from /system/sd/app-private, everything works fine.

So... it looks like... around 51meg size limit on the ext3 partition?

As for the sizes of my partitions. I used Amon-Ra's recovery at I think 1.3.2 to do the partitioning automatically.

I have 8gb Transcend Class 4 SD card partitioned fat32/ext3/swap

Windows reports:

7.11gb - Fat32

477meg

30meg

Parted reports:

7637mb - Fat32/lba

500mb - ext3

31.9mb - linux-swap(v1)

Also... looks like Google Voice and Handcent FC on my ROM regardless of what else is installed.

Wondering if you can help. I'm using this rom with time feature set to automatic. The time in the upper right corner is correct, but the time on the HTC flip clock is exactly one hour behind.

Anyway to correct this? Sometimes it is correct, depending on location, but at my house it's always one hour behind. I have to set any alarms one hour earlier to get around this :)

Guest jmanley
Wondering if you can help. I'm using this rom with time feature set to automatic. The time in the upper right corner is correct, but the time on the HTC flip clock is exactly one hour behind.

Anyway to correct this? Sometimes it is correct, depending on location, but at my house it's always one hour behind. I have to set any alarms one hour earlier to get around this :)

I think I had that problem when I first got my Sprint phone. You go into the clock settings (press the time on the flip clock). Then Menu - Home Settings then pick a city that's in your same time zone.

I think I had that problem when I first got my Sprint phone. You go into the clock settings (press the time on the flip clock). Then Menu - Home Settings then pick a city that's in your same time zone.

Is there anything else I need to do? I did this, but it still shows off by an hour. Do I need to force the phone to use this city? Problem is, there's not many cities to choose from that are nearby, unless there's a way to have it download more city information.

Guest bluelineman

I installed from the ROM link in the first post. How do I get apps to download to the SD card? I am not techie, so please dumb it down. Could someone please walk me through this? Thanks!!!

Here's what I used to root the phone.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-lo...-your-htc-hero/

Guest woofers1803
I installed from the ROM link in the first post. How do I get apps to download to the SD card? I am not techie, so please dumb it down. Could someone please walk me through this? Thanks!!!

Here's what I used to root the phone.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-lo...-your-htc-hero/

That's how I rooted too, and once you have this ROM installed, you'll automatically have apps go to the SD card. It's built in. Anything new you add will go straight there!

Guest jmanley
I think I've found it.

using ext3 partition and apps2sd...

I have 5.5meg in app-private

If I have more than 47meg in /system/sd/app everything crashes and there's no radio.

It doesn't matter what apps you have in /system/sd/app, if it's more than 47meg (on my phone), it crashes.

It also looks like it might be a size limit for the whole /system/sd partition. If I put an additional 2meg in /system/sd/app, and take out 1.5meg from /system/sd/app-private, everything works fine.

So... it looks like... around 51meg size limit on the ext3 partition?

As for the sizes of my partitions. I used Amon-Ra's recovery at I think 1.3.2 to do the partitioning automatically.

I have 8gb Transcend Class 4 SD card partitioned fat32/ext3/swap

Windows reports:

7.11gb - Fat32

477meg

30meg

Parted reports:

7637mb - Fat32/lba

500mb - ext3

31.9mb - linux-swap(v1)

Also... looks like Google Voice and Handcent FC on my ROM regardless of what else is installed.

Any luck on this problem?

can anybody else confirm the 51meg limit for apps on the sd card under 2.0/2.01?

Can anybody think of what might cause every app to crash on this ROM after 51megs are installed but not have the problem on 1.1?

I'm really anxious to use 2.0/2.01, but avoiding an install limit on apps is the exact reason I went with a custom ROM.

Version 2.2 is now online here and in the online kitchen!

Enjoy! :)

P

Changelog

Now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2 with EXT3/4, Compcache support, extended iptables support, NFS/CIFS, tun module and much more

Version 2.2 is now online!

P

Changelog

Now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2 with EXT3/4, Compcache support, extended iptables support, NFS/CIFS, tun module and much more

Paul,

first time flashing a rom here -- been sitting on stock waiting for something interesting. I decided to go with your latest modaco + custom kernel. The only mod I did before this was flashing an optimization that zipaligned some APKs from way back in november -- freed up a bit of memory.

anyway, after flashing this modaco 2.2 my WiFi doesn't work -- it always says "turning off".

any ideas?

thanks

edit: scratch that Paul. A full poweroff / poweron resolved it.

Edited by feld

Guest Coldheat06
Version 2.2 is now online here and in the online kitchen!

P

Changelog

Thanks Paul will give it a shot now!!! Thanks for all of your hard work.

Guest woofers1803
Version 2.2 is now online!

P

Changelog

Excellent work Paul! Flashed a custom build this morning and it's running PERFECT!! No problems at all! B)