26/Jan 2.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Sprint CDMA Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest woofers1803

Yeah, where is that 2.1? Tried Damage Control, and it kept jacking up. Back to 2.2 for now. Thank got for Nandroid! Are we ever going to see something new for the CDMA Hero? Even a beta would be awesome! <_<

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lovetto

Well I have had an Android for all of 3 days. lol. I've got this rom installed and running just fine. I'd also like to note that my camera is working just fine as well. So, heres the only question I have. What's the difference between this rom and the original 1.5 rom that came on my phone? I looked in settings to make sure it installed fine, and it did. I just dont really see any difference. If there are any. What are they?

I assume I'm not noticing any differences because I'm VERY new to the droid os.

Guest lovetto

Well I have had an Android for all of 3 days. lol. I've got this rom installed and running just fine. I'd also like to note that my camera is working just fine as well. So, heres the only question I have. What's the difference between this rom and the original 1.5 rom that came on my phone? I looked in settings to make sure it installed fine, and it did. I just dont really see any difference. If there are any. What are they?

I assume I'm not noticing any differences because I'm VERY new to the droid os.

i apologize for posting this in the other forum. i looked for a delete post option, but couldnt find one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmanley
This looks like 1.5, the version number of the mod leads one to assume its android 2x based.

Not really... the date - 26/Jan leads one to believe that it's not based on the - as of yet unreleased - official 2.1 Sprint ROM.

2.2 leads one to believe that it's the next incarnation of MoDaCo's ROM after 2.1 (and that being the successor to 2.0)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason_2007

Hello, I love the Modaco ROM's any thoughts on the new android 2.1 release? I tried a few xda.developers, but they all had the same flaw. The front button back-lights never turn off. Once I go back to a 2.0.x version of android the problem is solved. Anyway, I thought that you should keep that in mind when you build your nest version of the ROM.

Guest woofers1803

So the Sprint release is out. Are we going to see a release of a MoDaCo or is this forum dead? We haven't seen any activity since January, and there has been a LOT of other work done with the CDMA Hero. Kinda sad. I really liked this ROM, but it's been so far behind that I've been looking for a replacement.

Please Paul, cook up a kitchen with 2.1 since it's finally out! We've been waiting patiently for a LONG time!

Guest jmanley
So the Sprint release is out. Are we going to see a release of a MoDaCo or is this forum dead? We haven't seen any activity since January, and there has been a LOT of other work done with the CDMA Hero. Kinda sad. I really liked this ROM, but it's been so far behind that I've been looking for a replacement.

Please Paul, cook up a kitchen with 2.1 since it's finally out! We've been waiting patiently for a LONG time!

Paul,

While I agree with the sentiments that woofers1803 states here about having an updated kitchen... I do realize two things.

1) The official upgrade was just released today... so... it takes time for you to do your magic - please take your time and do it right.

2) You have many other things going on besides taking care of the Sprint Hero users... especially on the day of the release of the software

I would like to thank you very much for everything you have done... especially since you put out the very first Hero CDMA ROM just days after the Hero was rooted. Please don't think that all us Sprint Hero users are rude enough to think that you should drop all the things in your life to put together a custom ROM for us. I never used the other ROMs out there and stuck with yours because it is really the only one out there that never had to be updated in the past 4 months (i.e. bug free).

Again, thanks for everything you do... and if/when you get a chance to put the new release in the kitchen, just know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Guest Doug963

I am running a custom ROM that I got from this site for my CDMA Hero. I plan to get the EVO on June 4th and give my Hero to my wife. I dont really want to stay on top of updates and such and so I am wondering if I could install the regular 2.1 update on my phone and be fine or will it be a problem if I am currently operating a rooted phone? Would it just install a new ROM and be problem free or do I have a good chance of bricking my phone?

Thanks

Doug

Guest jmanley
I am running a custom ROM that I got from this site for my CDMA Hero. I plan to get the EVO on June 4th and give my Hero to my wife. I dont really want to stay on top of updates and such and so I am wondering if I could install the regular 2.1 update on my phone and be fine or will it be a problem if I am currently operating a rooted phone? Would it just install a new ROM and be problem free or do I have a good chance of bricking my phone?

Thanks

Doug

I would suggest just running the RUU from Sprint to get 2.1 installed. This will "unroot" your phone and clean off all your apps and settings.

***** IMPORTANT *******

As of yet, there is no way to root the 2.1 release from Sprint. So if you RUU to the official release, you will not have root and you will not be able to root your phone until an exploit is found. If that's a concern to you, then RUU to the test version.

***** IMPORTANT *******

Guest pitdog

what is the name of the "notes" program on the custom rom from the online kitchen ?

also will there be a way to root the new firmware ?

Thank You

Guest jmanley
what is the name of the "notes" program on the custom rom from the online kitchen ?

also will there be a way to root the new firmware ?

Thank You

Do not put the Sprint Release RUU on your phone or you cannot root it. If you want to use a Sprint ROM then use the test RUU... it's basically the same but without su.

I actually tore apart the two ROMs and made my own update.zip so I kept my recovery image.

Guest Doug963
I would suggest just running the RUU from Sprint to get 2.1 installed. This will "unroot" your phone and clean off all your apps and settings.

***** IMPORTANT *******

As of yet, there is no way to root the 2.1 release from Sprint. So if you RUU to the official release, you will not have root and you will not be able to root your phone until an exploit is found. If that's a concern to you, then RUU to the test version.

***** IMPORTANT *******

Thanks so much for all you do and for all the help you provide

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davidew98

for pete's sake.... The EVO is now out and several OTHER 2.1 ROMS for Hero CDMA but the Modaco ROM isn't up to date yet.

I REALLY REALLY want to stay with Modaco because I have WAY to much data to wipe my phone.

When will there be a 2.1 ROM for Hero CDMA?

Also does anyone know if there is a ROM I can load on my phone WITHOUT wiping it (I currently have the latest Modaco ROM for Hero CDMA)?

Guest jmanley
for pete's sake.... The EVO is now out and several OTHER 2.1 ROMS for Hero CDMA but the Modaco ROM isn't up to date yet.

I REALLY REALLY want to stay with Modaco because I have WAY to much data to wipe my phone.

When will there be a 2.1 ROM for Hero CDMA?

Also does anyone know if there is a ROM I can load on my phone WITHOUT wiping it (I currently have the latest Modaco ROM for Hero CDMA)?

I put the Fresh ROM on my phone. It did require a wipe, but using Titanium, I got almost all my settings and programs transfered over without a problem... if you donate (I think it's like 3 bucks) then you get the one touch backup and restore from Titanium which is really helpful.

Guest mediatech1

Hi,

I don't know if HTC [sprint] Hero development is going to halt now that the EVO is out but one of the things I'm still trying to determine is when we talk about the latest 2.1 release for Sprint Hero, is that the same kernel as is in the kitchen here when baking? When you do "About phone" there is Firmware [2.1-update 1], Kernel Version [2.6.29_bc0d2cff htc-kernel@and18-2#1, as well as build #, software #. I just want to get it straight in my noob head if the kernel here is older that what is on the 2.1 release. Is there an explanation on the forums how firmware version differs from build and software? I know that the kernel is the "core" and presumably the firmware version is the latest GUI or would that be latest OS? All helped deeply appreciated.

thanks!

• 2 months later...
Guest Robertlamont80

Why is it every time I try to install a Rom made in the kitchen that I get a verification failure and installation aborts. usually it says something like system/build.prop.nopassword

• 2 weeks later...
Guest poordna

I guess I'll post this here... I'm not getting any action in my thread.

I have wiped everything I can wipe, but I'm getting this error when I try to install my freshly kitchen-built rom...

"Install from sdcard...

finding update package...

verifiying update package...

E: Wrong digest:

system/build.prop.nopassword

E: verification failed

Installation aborted"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HeroHacker

This new ROM looks promising! However after i make the rom via the kitchen, i go to flash it and im having verification issues!! does anyone know whats wrong? :lol:

Guest HeroHacker
I guess I'll post this here... I'm not getting any action in my thread.

I have wiped everything I can wipe, but I'm getting this error when I try to install my freshly kitchen-built rom...

"Install from sdcard...

finding update package...

verifiying update package...

E: Wrong digest:

system/build.prop.nopassword

E: verification failed

Installation aborted"

Im getting the exact same issue! IDK whats wrong! Ive wiped everything! if its not that, it says there is an issue with the mail app or something like that. :lol: