Rooting The Pulse

Guest kevwright

Guest kevwright

Silly question time, just got the Pulse today, main reason is to compare it in a series of articles to the iPhone 3GS.

I have JB the iPhone consistently, and it appears that "rooting" is the Android equiv?

Ok. now, assuming I apply the Superboot by Paul here, what exactly do I get to do with my Pulse that I would not get without it?

Thanks for any help.

Kev

Well....... rooting is similar to jailbraking hower its not necessary in a lot of situations.

Remember that the apple apps store is restrictive on what content can be sold/distributed on it. Google's market place doesnt have the same restrictions. Think cydia and apps store rolled in to one

There are applications that require root permissons to work, a good example would be the wireless teather application on the market place.

This requires root permissions because it ties the 3g (data) netowork agaisnt the wifi card in the phone and turns your phone in to the equivilent of a wireless router for one device.

All this being said, most people get root access so they can have custom ROM's put on there phone, the beauty of Android and the realitive openess of it means that anyone can take the code, tweak it recompile it and make an entirely new ROM.

There are lots and lots of other reasons, (such as apps2sd), but i think your best bet would be to read up on the HTC Dream forum on the XDA dev's site, they pretty much started it all, rooting etc on android and still has a very active community, and some great q and a sections.

hope that helps a little, any questions please just pm me.