I give up on TG01

Guest clmnw

Hey guys,

Probably you've seen me posting on various topics and issues on TG01... and you might find it strange that now that I've made my TG01 stable enough (after doing the WM 6.5 ROM Upgrade), I decided to give up on the phone, meaning I'd probably have to sell it as I bought the new HTC HD2 phone, out today (sim free), which hopefully would be a better use of the 1GHz Snapdragon than TG01 was.

If anyone's interested in buying mine (it's Orange UK locked, but as you know it can be unlocked) give me a shout (drop me a message) and we can arrange something. I'm willing to offer it at a very good price (about £300), it's been only used for couple of months now, so it's in very good condition. I also have ebay user so we can arrange the sale from there as well.

I am interested to know your opinion on whether it's worth staying with TG01 or go with the new shiny HTC HD2 (obviously I've made that decision already).

Guest xdalover
Hey guys,

Probably you've seen me posting on various topics and issues on TG01... and you might find it strange that now that I've made my TG01 stable enough (after doing the WM 6.5 ROM Upgrade), I decided to give up on the phone, meaning I'd probably have to sell it as I bought the new HTC HD2 phone, out today (sim free), which hopefully would be a better use of the 1GHz Snapdragon than TG01 was.

If anyone's interested in buying mine (it's Orange UK locked, but as you know it can be unlocked) give me a shout (drop me a message) and we can arrange something. I'm willing to offer it at a very good price (about £300), it's been only used for couple of months now, so it's in very good condition. I also have ebay user so we can arrange the sale from there as well.

I am interested to know your opinion on whether it's worth staying with TG01 or go with the new shiny HTC HD2 (obviously I've made that decision already).

I'm very interested in your opinion (as user of both devices). Could you compare them and give us a review ? And please tell us if the SD corruption has been avoided by HTC or notç

Thank you

I'm very interested in your opinion (as user of both devices). Could you compare them and give us a review ? And please tell us if the SD corruption has been avoided by HTC or notç

Thank you

Yep, I can do some tests during the weekend. You know the corruption issue doesn't happen instantly, it might be weeks before... and if I hit one on the HTC HD2 (hopefully not). I know that there are still thoughts this might be an architecture bug.. i.e. affecting all Snapdragon devices. Genuinely hope that's not the case. If it is... 2 companies failing to notice this is a massive market issue :)

Guest xdalover
Yep, I can do some tests during the weekend. You know the corruption issue doesn't happen instantly, it might be weeks before... and if I hit one on the HTC HD2 (hopefully not). I know that there are still thoughts this might be an architecture bug.. i.e. affecting all Snapdragon devices. Genuinely hope that's not the case. If it is... 2 companies failing to notice this is a massive market issue :)

Thank you for your quick reply, Yes, of course, this issue appears in weeks (or months, as in my case) . I mean that I'm shure that you would be interested in following HTC forums (as Xda developers, for instance) and you can tell us if this issue is found or not in the HTC HD2 community...

Cordialy

Thank you for your quick reply, Yes, of course, this issue appears in weeks (or months, as in my case) . I mean that I'm shure that you would be interested in following HTC forums (as Xda developers, for instance) and you can tell us if this issue is found or not in the HTC HD2 community...

Cordialy

Sure I will.

Here's a quick comparison in the meantime.

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compare-mobi...c-hd2-3756_4200

I'll be quick on this since I haven't yet spent too much time with the HTC HD2, to be able to properly compare with TG01.

HTC HD2 pros vs Toshiba TG01:

1) FM Radio

2) 3.5 mm stereo out

3) Bigger screen size (4.3" vs TG01 4.1") in smaller phone body

4) Capacitive screen makes a huge difference in touch optimized applications

5) HTC G-sensor is far better than TG01's and has and will have more application support; leaving browser and screen rotation to the HTC sensor makes a lot more sense and feels better than the one with TG01 which I had eventually disabled;

6) SPB Mobile Shell works really smooth (so far) [i never fancied HTC's TouchFlo and now Sense interfaces too much so I'll stick to SPB for now (haven't registry hacked or anything so HTC Sense is there at the operating system level just not running as shell for me)]

HTC HD2 cons vs Toshiba TG01:

1) Weights more than TG01

2) Capacitive screen makes it a little bit harder on clicking on tiny web links or smaller buttons (no finger nail support as you know, it's the capacitive vs resistive screen technology old story); there are a lot more WinMo touch optimized apps to come, so I am not too worried about it

3) No stylus use with HTC HD2... due to screen technology; there are capacitive foam end based stylus-es which I'll try next week.

4) on XDADevelopers forums there are Benchmark comparisons which show that if looking purely on the benchmark data TG01 slightly outperforms HTC HD2 although both based on the same Snapdragon CPU

5) there are people saying that OpenGL games have some issues on HD2 and that the old-story HTC video driver problematic support is still (and would probably always be) present... so TG01 might over-perform here as well.

6) there are others as well, but there's huge HTC community out there and there's a workaround to almost everything

hope this helps... as you see TG01 is still not bad at all, even compared to a more recently released Snapdragon based phone.

Edited by clmnw

Guest Neil5459

I'd agree with that opinion :)

For me, one of the main advantages of the HD2 is that you can plug a 3.5mm jack into it, and feed it into a HiFi, while keeping the power supply plugged into the microUSB socket, giving continuous music playback.

The HD2 feels very slightly slower overall than the TG01- may be to do with the HTC Sense overhead?

The HD2 screen is fantastically clear- much brighter than the TG01.

Sound in general on the HD2 is leagues ahead, especially phone speaker performance. Also, the sound chip doesn't overdrive at normal sound levels so music is a lot clearer.

The TG01 improved immensely with the WM6.5 update, but I don't regret the change to the HD2 :D

HTC HD2 cons vs Toshiba TG01:

1) Weights more than TG01

2) Capacitive screen makes it a little bit harder on clicking on tiny web links or smaller buttons (no finger nail support as you know, it's the capacitive vs resistive screen technology old story); there are a lot more WinMo touch optimized apps to come, so I am not too worried about it

3) No stylus use with HTC HD2... due to screen technology; there are capacitive foam end based stylus-es which I'll try next week.

4) on XDADevelopers forums there are Benchmark comparisons which show that if looking purely on the benchmark data TG01 slightly outperforms HTC HD2 although both based on the same Snapdragon CPU

5) there are people saying that OpenGL games have some issues on HD2 and that the old-story HTC video driver problematic support is still (and would probably always be) present... so TG01 might over-perform here as well.

6) there are others as well, but there's huge HTC community out there and there's a workaround to almost everything

I'd add "no USB host support" to the cons list. makes it unusable for me (I require it on all phones I use, now). Actually, I also like the additional weight/solid feel. It's a metal case and is an awesome phone in every way except lack of USB host.

Guest bbmalver

Went over to the dark side, and also got a HD2.

Now, here's the thing .The story isn't over! The TG01 was punched but apparently is not going down!

1. Screen: Capacitive, (my first); Hard glass, great! but can easily press the wrong item and is difficult to press small items (may require adaptation). TG01: Resistive, yet harder than most others on the Market, utilizing Toshiba's screen tech knowhow!

However, the HD2 screen is bigger! yes; both length and width wise, yet wrapped in a package actually half an inch shorter that the TG01 (yes! no unusual Black-border head), and marginally less wide. The screen fills out most of the front form; A definate plus!

2. Grip: Now, don't get me wrong, i love the TG01, but with its slightly rounded sides, it does make it somewhat easier for the device to possibly slip from one's hand. No such problem with the HD2, whilst slightly heavier, the grip is much more greatly assured with its slightly inward turned flat sides.

3. Camera: of course the HD2 has a higher pixel count and dual flash (which is waaay bright) but it also has auto-focus, tunable picture options and the ability to link separately to either the camera or the video (so no more fumbling at the onscreen button to change the option just in time!)

4. Software: A killer point for me! in the 4 months since the TG01 has been out I've tuned it to my satisifaction running SPB shell 3.0 on WM6.1 Pro. Now, upon getting the HD2 with WM6.5, running HTC Sense, i find i am not as satisfied. So (in the couple of days since i've had it) i initially put SPB3.5.1 on it, but found it lacking in speed and full options, so i reverted to my beloved 3.0, only to find that a lot of the HD2 HTC Sense's customisations which enable proper use of the device to it's fullest capacity wont come out to play and be easily accessible for SPB3.0

Quite annoying. Not to mention the intractability of WM6.5 itself; Device Lock anyone?!! I also for the life of me, cannot find anywhere the options to import my contacts from my sim! (any yes i used contacts backup in SPB 3.0 on the TG01, but Contacts Backup is nowhere to be found on the 6.5 HD2, how weird, or am i just somewhat stupid).

have installed Coreplayer, but am unable to use my BT headset controls..... and the list goes on as to the little niggles that keep worrying away at making it a complete keeper.

So ultimately i can say that whilst the HD2 has a great feature set that gives it the edge over that of the TG01 (obviously IMHO), the greater ease of adaptability of the TG01 still make its a Seriously competitive contender. (Although i think Toshiba's lack of proper support and a dedicated Mod group will cause it to fall behind in the near future!)

just thought i would share some of my insights!

Edited by bbmalver

Guest xdalover
Went over to the dark side, and also got a HD2.

Now, here's the thing .The story isn't over! The TG01 is was punched but apparently is not going down!

1. Screen: Capacitive, (my first); Hard glass, great! but can easily press the wrong item and is difficult to press small items (may require adaptation).

Beware of your hiccups :)

Does it mean that you can't use apps like PhatPad or Calligrapher (hand writing recognition)?

Edited by xdalover

Guest bbmalver

Sorry for the double post and errors! Seems the space bar created the first two, and when i tried editing it took a long while to get back in, then the sites page loading has slowed down... etc

[Moderator Note: Duplicate posts removed!]

Guest bbmalver
could anyone compair the ringing volume between the phones? the low volume on the tg01 is a real problem for me?

Once you get the HD2, you forget that such an issue existed. The lowest bar on the HD2 is the top volume for the TG01! :D

Guest delboydell
Once you get the HD2, you forget that such an issue existed. The lowest bar on the HD2 is the top volume for the TG01! :D

thanks for that, did you return the phone to orange? if so what department did you go through? Im having one or two problems talking to the right person / department.

Guest leeston2379

I read this over at XDA DEV about the HD2 "voicecall is pretty bad because of the random noise similar to radio static", the post and a link to a poll about it are here.

I wonder if the HD2 is cursed with the same problems as the TG01?

Edited by leeston2379

Guest Core_sa
I read this over at XDA DEV about the HD2 "voicecall is pretty bad because of the random noise similar to radio static", the post and a link to a poll about it are here.

I wonder if the HD2 is cursed with the same problems as the TG01?

I have both Toshiba TG01 and HTC HD2 phones and as much as I love my Tosh, I feel the HTC wins no contest. Yes it doesn't have USB host but I have hardly used it anyway. Thought I would share my thoughts (since I have pushed both handsets hard) if anyone is interested. Let me start at the beginning :D...

First off let me be forthcoming and say I got the Tosh to put my iPhone friends to shame. I don't hate the iPhone but I do hate the "hype" sorrounding it. iPhone users think they own the place :(

My Toshiba TG01

Although the Tosh is twice the device the iPhone is (hardware wise) I feel the software / drivers etc let it down horribly. All this power and almost none of the decent winmo apps would work. I was able to show off the processing power by running FPSECE emulating PS1 games along with movies etc on the huge 4.1 screen. Everything else was actually embarrassing. Winmo 6.5 made some big changes though. SPB Mobile Shell was also super fast.

My HTC HD2

Firstly I have experienced NO problems with voice calls coming in or going out. I have also not experienced any problems with the camera (reddish tint symptoms I have been reading about).

4.3" Multi-touch capacitive screen is in a class of its own. It is super clear, super bright and very responsive. It did take me awhile to get used to not using my fingernail as well as utilising the "pinch and zoom" function but hell, once I got the hang of it I couldnt go back. I agree it does feel slightly "sluggish" compared to the Tosh but the beautiful User Interface makes up for it. HTC have obviously spent a shyteload of time writing up custom frontends, apps and plugins as unless you look carefully you dont even notice winmo o/s in the background. I personally feel that almost every feature and function on the HTC is better.

Also, for the first time my iPhone friends are starting to look worried ;) Almost all the apps they show off with their g-sensor etc I have been able to source for winmo, AND THEY WORK! Multitasking is great, Internet browsing (once you get the hang of pinch and zoom) is great, music and movies are superb. The device feels solid and well built. The battery IMHO last a fair deal longer than my Tosh as well. The 3.5mm earphone jack is a huge plus for me and the mini-usb charge port uses the same cable as my Tosh. Seriously though friends, get both devices next to each other and you will see what I mean, no contest.

I love my TG01 but the constant un-supported software problems I experienced left me feeling like the Toshiba TG01 is not a true Windows Mobile phone or atleast not fully supported yet.

Camera is also IMHO much better and it includes a twin flash (very bright). Photo and Video recording at night / dark places is now possible.

One downside that comes to mind with regards to the HTC would be the finger smudges! This is unavoidable though, iPhone users suffer this as well.

Hope this has answered some questions I know it was a long post but I have nothing but praise for my new HD2!

Edited by Core_sa

could anyone compair the ringing volume between the phones? the low volume on the tg01 is a real problem for me?

Theres a new SRS WOW HD cab on here somebody has done just installed it on my TG01 and its LOUD (Y)

Guest bbmalver
thanks for that, did you return the phone to orange? if so what department did you go through? Im having one or two problems talking to the right person / department.

Nope! Keeping the contract but selling the phone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ToshBang

Sent back 5 tg01 handsets (all call quality) and i'm gutted because i'm stuck for getting a different phone of similar spec on orange.

Thanks for the tip about the hd2 call quality dont want to repeat that scenario. Was it audible on the hd2 handset or just to the caller on the other end which was the case with the tg01 call issues?

Post tg01, the usb hosting for keyboards, mice and usb memory sticks is now something I want on my next phone. Going sim free (probably) so now wandering what the other usb hosting options are? Not much point on a small screen. The hd2 was gonna be leading option, but is that definitely a no on usb hosting? Shame if it is, hope its a software limitation and can get worked around at some point.

What i really want is a hd2 pro (pop out qwerty) with usb hosting, xenon flash and big battery, if anyone at HTC wants some consumer research, you just got it for free! Send me a nice phone to say thanks.

Edited by ToshBang

• 1 month later...
Guest imperiallight

I have the HD2 but its not all that compared to my old TG01. And definately not worth about 3 times as much money. Its a wonderful looking and constucted device though.

BTW there is a ROM in progress (Eugenia) that will allow USB Host features for HD2 once completed.

Edited by imperiallight

BTW there is a ROM in progress (Eugenia) that will allow USB Host features for HD2 once completed.

What is your source for such rumors? I find this hard to believe as in my testing, there is not even the USB power supply on this phone. Hence, you'd need to use a powered hub/device in any event. There also needs to be a switch on the USB lines and it's not clear to me their transceiver has this.

Guest imperiallight
What is your source for such rumors? I find this hard to believe as in my testing, there is not even the USB power supply on this phone. Hence, you'd need to use a powered hub/device in any event. There also needs to be a switch on the USB lines and it's not clear to me their transceiver has this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=576165

Edited by imperiallight

When I plug in my TG01 USB adapter on my HD2 a screen asks me if I want to use my external GPS car kit. Not sure if that's worth anything.

It's not. What it tells me is that they used the fifth pin as a key to tell the phone the hands free kit. It doesn't matter what you plug in there, it thinks it's a hands-free kit. If it was using USB, it would know that's not the case.