NEEDED: Explanation of "build numbers", ROM versions etc.

Guest violets69

Guest violets69

I am completely officially addicted to flashing my i910 and I have been trying to figure out what all of you experts are talking about with the build numbers and versions etc. but I can't seem to figure out which ones are the newest ROMs. I am also trying to follow the build numbers like 23081 and 23085 etc. and am wondering where you Chefs get the build numbers, what they mean, which ones are newest? I am also wondering what "MS3.5" or codes similar to that in the names of the bin file mean.

I guess I'm just asking if one of you experts would take the time to explain all the lingo and code numbers you guys use in the title of your ROMs for us Noobs. I have tried to teach myself as much as possible looking up as many definitions as I can when I don't understand something in the forum, but I'm having trouble teaching myself and am very eager to learn!  :D

If anyone can break it down for me and all the others that are new to this, I think it would help all the new flash addicts to let you know what they like about the ROM or don't like, and in return help you guys out as well! Just think... you may get 100's of more people out there willing to test for you! 

All we need is a little education to give us the confidence!  :D

Please don't bash me for being such a geek in the next sentence... but I must say...

Any kind of pictures, charts, graphs, that will give a visual explanation would def. help (if that even applies)  :)

Damn I love these little smiley faces... OK I'm done rambling

Thanks in advance for anyone volunteering their brains and time to help!

Guest lioryte
I am completely officially addicted to flashing my i910 and I have been trying to figure out what all of you experts are talking about with the build numbers and versions etc. but I can't seem to figure out which ones are the newest ROMs. I am also trying to follow the build numbers like 23081 and 23085 etc. and am wondering where you Chefs get the build numbers, what they mean, which ones are newest? I am also wondering what "MS3.5" or codes similar to that in the names of the bin file mean.

I guess I'm just asking if one of you experts would take the time to explain all the lingo and code numbers you guys use in the title of your ROMs for us Noobs. I have tried to teach myself as much as possible looking up as many definitions as I can when I don't understand something in the forum, but I'm having trouble teaching myself and am very eager to learn!  :D

If anyone can break it down for me and all the others that are new to this, I think it would help all the new flash addicts to let you know what they like about the ROM or don't like, and in return help you guys out as well! Just think... you may get 100's of more people out there willing to test for you! 

All we need is a little education to give us the confidence!  :D

Please don't bash me for being such a geek in the next sentence... but I must say...

Any kind of pictures, charts, graphs, that will give a visual explanation would def. help (if that even applies)  :)

Damn I love these little smiley faces... OK I'm done rambling

Thanks in advance for anyone volunteering their brains and time to help!

1.COM2 this branch has the older UI but is more stable in terms of functionality and I feel like this may be the branch that HTC uses for their upgrade to 6.5 - this branch includes the .5.0.xx aku posibly leading up to 6.5.0.1 - which is made up of the builds 218xx the last build from this branch is 21857.5.0.66

2.COM3 this branch introduces the features from the MSFT development branch that is stable enough to merge with COM2 and starts the experimental development of newer UI code this branch includes the aku of .5.3.0 builds from this branch are 230xx the latest build from this branch is 23089.5.3.0

3.COM4 this branch will merge the stable new UI code with an updated OS code and is the development branch for what some will say is the 6.5.1 builds but according to an article that I read when 6.5 goes public there will be two versions and I believe this branch introduces the development of the higher design for MSFT devices builds from this branch will have an aku of .5.4.0 the latest build from this branch is 23420.5.4.0

4.COM5 this branch is the newest branch and is considered to be beta builds from this branch will have an aku of 5.5.0 the latest build from this branch is 23506

Microsoft isn't publishing the differences between the builds, so what's new in every build is trial and error at best

Now here are some graphs

funny-graphs-too-sexy-for-this-graph.gifgraphs3.gif

Now, HERE is a site that can explain it a little further.

Hope this helps

Edited by lioryte

Guest tacchan23
1.COM2 this branch has the older UI but is more stable in terms of functionality and I feel like this may be the branch that HTC uses for their upgrade to 6.5 - this branch includes the .5.0.xx aku posibly leading up to 6.5.0.1 - which is made up of the builds 218xx the last build from this branch is 21857.5.0.66

2.COM3 this branch introduces the features from the MSFT development branch that is stable enough to merge with COM2 and starts the experimental development of newer UI code this branch includes the aku of .5.3.0 builds from this branch are 230xx the latest build from this branch is 23089.5.3.0

3.COM4 this branch will merge the stable new UI code with an updated OS code and is the development branch for what some will say is the 6.5.1 builds but according to an article that I read when 6.5 goes public there will be two versions and I believe this branch introduces the development of the higher design for MSFT devices builds from this branch will have an aku of .5.4.0 the latest build from this branch is 23420.5.4.0

4.COM5 this branch is the newest branch and is considered to be beta builds from this branch will have an aku of 5.5.0 the latest build from this branch is 23506

Microsoft isn't publishing the differences between the builds, so what's new in every build is trial and error at best

Now here are some graphs

funny-graphs-too-sexy-for-this-graph.gifgraphs3.gif

Now, HERE is a site that can explain it a little further.

Hope this helps

I always wonder why some people can't just ignore posts they find stupid/useless but they instead feel the need to show the world their lack of manners :)

Guest lioryte
I always wonder why some people can't just ignore posts they find stupid/useless but they instead feel the need to show the world their lack of manners :)

Because it's there? and what about my manners?

Guest mr_bungalow

Thanks for the first half of your post lioryte.  I did some googling about comx branches and the various build numbers with "windows mobile" in the title and all I get are various ROM download pages.  It makes sense that you know a lot about this since you have cooked and published your own roms.  Where do you download the newest builds to put together a ROM?  Is there a page on microsoft's web site/blog?  

Guest WoZZeR999

Lioryte is correct about the posts. He provided information, and furthered the devolopment of the thread.

As for the abbreviations, These are the likely ones you will see:

Anything with 'anium' - Likely a Titanium (CHome) based rom, this has the sliding panels.

MS3.5 - Mobile shell 3.5. One of the GUI replacements for WM

M2D - Manilla 2d. This is the interface that HTC uses on their devices

TL - Throttle launcher, a customizable GUI for WM devices

PointUI - Same as above

You may also see Pagepool in the .bins. This affects the amount of available system memory. There is some discussion as to what the 'optimal' value is, but 8-12 should be good (if given a option at download)

I have a kitchen available (top of the page, stickied), and I provide the latest SYS's with everything not pertaining to the omnia removed. I get them from various sources as they are made available, and structure them to work with my kitchen.

Lioryte already went over the build numbers, but here's a more extensive list with less description (taken from a post at XDA)

What Build Numbers mean :

212xx = AKU1 > all builds leading up to and including WM 6.5, 6.5.0.1

213xx = MOT > Motorola

214xx = ???

215xx = SAM > Samsung

216xx = HTC > Htc

217xx = COM1, > Continuing dev of 6.5.0.1, 6.5.0.20, 6.5.0.40

218xx = COM2, > Continuing dev of 6.5.0.50

219xx = MD, > Feature branch (Unstable features are added here, backported to 218xx (this tree is based on COM1, old base os code, but UX is new)

22xxx = SEMC > Sony Ericsson

23xxx = COM3, > Continuing dev of COM2 6.5.0.50 > 6.5.0.60 (Starting from 23001)

234xx = COM4

236xx = LGE > LG Electronics

Tacchan32: I don't see how your post really did anything for the thread, considering you provided no updated information, no corrections, no additional information, and no furthering of the thread, but you complain about 'manners'.

Guest lioryte
 Thanks for the first half of your post lioryte.  I did some googling about comx branches and the various build numbers with "windows mobile" in the title and all I get are various ROM download pages.  It makes sense that you know a lot about this since you have cooked and published your own roms.  Where do you download the newest builds to put together a ROM?  Is there a page on microsoft's web site/blog?  

Downloading the newest builds- Research, asking friends, fellow Chefs, etc.

Here are some threads- you only need to search-

http://forum.xda-developers.com

http://htcpedia.com/

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com

and of course WoZZer's thread sticky on the i910 specific omnia rom discussion.

To name a few. I believe omniaROM.com might have some new builds as well but since the mods down there are music haters I do not go there any more :D

The new builds are not, as far as we know, from anywhere on M$ website but are leaked versions.

Keep in mind that for the i910 you'll need the WQVGA version. I would strongly recommend going first into WoZZer's kitchen thread to learn the how to's. Lots of info there you need to grab a beer, sit down and just read.

@WoZZer- +1 :)

Guest Chapster

Great info! Answered some questions that I had of my own.

Oh! And I really got a kick from the graphs. I for one didn't take it as being a smarta**. Great info with a touch of humor.