Android on the Omnia I910?

Guest sturts

Guest eTronic Gaming

www.cdmandroid.com

I'm working on porting the andromnia project over to i910, but it's proving complicated by myself. Since verizon just released the droid with android on their cdma phone, people should be able to get a way of porting the andromnia project over to a cdma phone. It's a matter of time before some progress is made. I'll be updating that site within the next week or so with updates.

-eTg-

Guest dragonriot
www.cdmandroid.com

I'm working on porting the andromnia project over to i910, but it's proving complicated by myself. Since verizon just released the droid with android on their cdma phone, people should be able to get a way of porting the andromnia project over to a cdma phone. It's a matter of time before some progress is made. I'll be updating that site within the next week or so with updates.

-eTg-

Check out irc.freenode.org #andromnia... we've been working on CDMA drivers for the last couple days, and we could definitely use more help on it. We're trying to figure out if the Palm Pre uses the same CDMA chipset as the Omnia i910, because we have the full source for the Pre's chip. We've also got a couple guys who have successfully compiled Android 2.0 configured for i780s, i900s, and i910s, and we're just looking for more people to contribute, and alpha test... =)

Sound is nearly fixed last I heard, so after the sound works, the only thing that really needs fixing is the CDMA issues...

By the way eTg, your link for Link to CDMA omnia drivers is broken.... can you repost them here, or bring them with you to #andromnia chat?

Edited by dragonriot

Guest itguy420
Check out irc.freenode.org #andromnia... we've been working on CDMA drivers for the last couple days, and we could definitely use more help on it. We're trying to figure out if the Palm Pre uses the same CDMA chipset as the Omnia i910, because we have the full source for the Pre's chip. We've also got a couple guys who have successfully compiled Android 2.0 configured for i780s, i900s, and i910s, and we're just looking for more people to contribute, and alpha test... =)

Sound is nearly fixed last I heard, so after the sound works, the only thing that really needs fixing is the CDMA issues...

By the way eTg, your link for Link to CDMA omnia drivers is broken.... can you repost them here, or bring them with you to #andromnia chat?

If you are still looking for alpha testers I would be happy to help. I have a second onmia that I use only for testing and would be happy to use it for this project.

Guest JDawg183

I dont understand why they dont make mobile OS's more like regular ones. Just install it on any machine as long as it is supported. Doesnt matter the brand, just throw it on there. That would be cool. For Android being Open Source, it sure seems like people are having a hard time getting it to the Omnia

Guest dragonriot
I dont understand why they dont make mobile OS's more like regular ones. Just install it on any machine as long as it is supported. Doesnt matter the brand, just throw it on there. That would be cool. For Android being Open Source, it sure seems like people are having a hard time getting it to the Omnia

Well... it isn't like installing Windows on a PC.... it isn't even as simple as installing Linux on a PC... When you build Linux from source - like we are doing with Android (the kernel is Linux) - you need to build it for the components IN the system you are building it for. There's no generic installation like there is with Windows or Ubuntu. Those installers are 4.7GB and 700MB respectively for a reason.... Linux, in it's most basic form, configured and compiled for a specific machine and only that specific machine, can have as small a footprint as 10MB... but the Android Kernel is 2GB in size before you slim it down... that's why you can't just install it on anything.

• 3 weeks later...