Locked to three, trying to root...

Guest confuded

Guest confuded

Hi,

I have an HTC Hero bought from Three in the UK on PayAsYouGo. I want to install the modaco custom firmware, but first I have to root the device...

I have tried to follow several procedures for rooting the phone (which have all failed) and googled a lot. What I found is I need to downgrade the phone to a Cupkace firmware for the rooting process to work.

Here is the tutorial, which I found on downgrading: http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/03/how-to-unroot-the-htc-hero/

There, there are a few RUU files. I got the original HTC Hero Original RUU linked in step one. That failed saying its the Wrong Customer ID.

Lower on the page it said the problem occurs with a branded phone and that I needed a different RUU, but there are so many of them! Which on do I choose? (WWE?)

Specs:

Model Number: HTC Hero

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22

Kernel version: 2.73.771.62 CL#80033 release-keys

Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

Locked to UK Three network.

Thanks in advanced!

~confuded

Hi,

I have an HTC Hero bought from Three in the UK on PayAsYouGo. I want to install the modaco custom firmware, but first I have to root the device...

I have tried to follow several procedures for rooting the phone (which have all failed) and googled a lot. What I found is I need to downgrade the phone to a Cupkace firmware for the rooting process to work.

Here is the tutorial, which I found on downgrading: http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/03/how-to-unroot-the-htc-hero/

There, there are a few RUU files. I got the original HTC Hero Original RUU linked in step one. That failed saying its the Wrong Customer ID.

Lower on the page it said the problem occurs with a branded phone and that I needed a different RUU, but there are so many of them! Which on do I choose? (WWE?)

Specs:

Thanks in advanced!

~confuded

CL#80033 release-keys ??? that looks like a new firmware, be sure to post the android backup so Paul or someone else could make an update package

regarding your problem, i would suggest going for the goldcard method? as it seems that this FW is newer then the latest stable version, all holes in kernel are probably patched

and yes WWE, ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe (latest stable one)

ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe this is the old (low-performance ROM) that you can use flashrec out of the box

Guest TheAdmiralCS
CL#80033 release-keys ??? that looks like a new firmware, be sure to post the android backup so Paul or someone else could make an update package

regarding your problem, i would suggest going for the goldcard method? as it seems that this FW is newer then the latest stable version, all holes in kernel are probably patched

and yes WWE, ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe (latest stable one)

ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe this is the old (low-performance ROM) that you can use flashrec out of the box

Only issue is, we need to root the phone before we can do a Nandroid backup right? But we can't root the phone.... Its the same prob I'm having

Only issue is, we need to root the phone before we can do a Nandroid backup right? But we can't root the phone.... Its the same prob I'm having

you need to be able to boot the custom recovery image, but probably that is not possible either.

Guest confuded

So what do I do? I can't post a nandroid backup, since the phone needs rooting...Do I use the latest WWE RUU to downgrade and then root the phone? I am quite happy to provide the backup, if you just tell me how :-/...~confuded

Guest lemmingzappa
What I found is I need to downgrade the phone to a Cupkace firmware for the rooting process to work.

Just to let you know, the 1.5 firmware IS cupcake.

I also have a 3 PAYG Hero, and I didn't need to downgrade anything. I think I followed a rooting tutorial I found on google, then I flashed the Amon Ra recovery image. Then MoDaCo.

Guest confuded
http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/

just omitt the last step which would install the image permanently on your device.

edit: if that doesn't work afaik it is not possible to create a nandroid backup. you should be able to downgrade the rom nevertheless...

After executing the second command (being in the bootloader menu) my PowerShell in Windows 7 tells me: "downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)". I guess no nandroid :-/.

I'll try to install MoDaCo now :).

@lemmingzappa

Right... Thanks for the info :D.

EDIT:

I cannot seem to be able to root the phone with the RUU's. Is there another method besides Goldcard? I don't have a second SDCard... If I do buy one, is the Goldcard a guaranteed method?

Edited by confuded

Guest TheAdmiralCS
Just to let you know, the 1.5 firmware IS cupcake.

I also have a 3 PAYG Hero, and I didn't need to downgrade anything. I think I followed a rooting tutorial I found on google, then I flashed the Amon Ra recovery image. Then MoDaCo.

Care to share the site where you found the tutorial to root?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest trunker
Did anyone have any luck in rooting the H3G version? (2.73.771.62)

Cheers

had the same problem for a week and much googling I just successfully rooted my 3UK 2.73.771.73 (the trial and error has allowed me pick up some basics on Android, ADB etc, no losses imo)

one click failed, instant root failed so obvious I needed to downgrade -

the RUU on theunlocker downgrade guide (RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.1_R3_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver) failed with error [170] connection error ...I had usb issues with HTC sync so tried HBOOT straight from SD failed with. "Main Version is Older ...Update Fail" so I found the alternative RUU linked at the bottom of same tutorial (RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver) and this worked

my error is different from yours but my build is later so suspect the same 2.73.405.5 will work ftp linked here>> ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero...ed_NoDriver.exe

be absolutely sure you follow the Goldcard procedure to the letter and instead of QMAT (skipp step 6-8) use this great online tool http://www.andyappz.com/cid.html copy your cid straight from ms-dos, right click>>mark>>drag mouse to highlight cid (in white)>>enter. paste directly into the online tool to avoid any error

follow every step (stating the obvoius i know) and I'm sure it should work

Hi,

Specs:

Thanks in advanced!

~confuded

Have exactly the same phone and problem myself. Have bookmarked this thread to see if you can get it working. I don't really have the time to be playing about right now - have already spent too much time trying to "root" without any joy so would be nice to see that you've got it working.

Sure there will be others joining this thread in good time looking for an easy solution with the same handset and firmware etc.